My motorcycle days are numbered

• Member Contributer
On 10/30/2021 at 11:54 AM, FireWire said:

My first VFR was an '86 VFR 750. I rode that until I saw a beautiful '97 VFR 750. That was my ride until 2010 when I found a dealership in Dallas that had a new/unsold 2008 VFR 800 for $3000 under MSRP. For all those years I was divorced and had both a Honda Accord and a Honda motorcycle. 

About three years ago I met a beautiful woman on an internet dating site. She's from the Philippines. She relocated to the US and we married last year. Now that she has her green card, SSN and a drivers license she's found a position near downtown. I don't mind riding the bike to and from work since I live less than a 5 minute ride. But the writing is on the wall that I'll need to move on from the bike to another cage. 

Three of my biker friends have sold their bikes for similar reasons including the increased traffic gridlock in and around town. There's rarely a time that I don't run into congestion. More people on the road and more people distracted with their IG, Facebook, SnapChat and Twitter. They take their eyes completely off the road so they can view the latest internet banality. Commenting on their dog doing stupid human tricks and their children doing stupid dog tricks. 

I've had more near misses the last couple of years than ever before. 

Others have argued that I can keep both. There isn't enough room in the garage for two cars and the bike. I don't wish to store the bike outside. We know what that can do to the appearance when a motorcycle is left outside. The weather isn't kind at all to the aluminum.  It was a good run, of about 17 years. 

My bike as been my daily rider during the warm and cool weather months for those years but the winters can make a short ride unbearable so I switch to the car. My wife hasn't said anything to me nor has she made any negative implications about the bike. But marriage has a way of changing more than we think when we go down that path.

My wife has embraced American college football, photography, fishing and possibly hunting. I'm fortunate for that.

It'll be a few weeks or more before we buy another car due to the inflated prices of used cars in the US due to the supply chain and chip shortages. I might be able to get a few hundred more for my  bike than before.

Hard to read, and even living here in Maine, I cannot dispute anything you mentioned.

• Member Contributer

O.K. enough said. Let's change the topic before I start getting second thoughts about my motorcycling days.

It is daily therapy for me.

A quote slightly bastardized from a cycling friend of mine:

"Biking is like church,  many attend, few understand!"

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, Wald said:

"Biking is like church,  many attend, few understand!"

A bit like poetry.... :laugh:

Archived