Anyone changed a Sixth Gen Fuel Pump?

jimmer

Happy Easter all!

04/ 100,000 kms -60,000 miles

I have developed an intermittent failure of the Fuel Pump to prime.

It began with no prime ie. the whine of the pump was not there.

Now I have (intermittently) a repeating click at the Fuel Pump Relay (15% of time),  no prime (15%), or it works fine (60%). 

The relay behaves normally when the Fuel Pump connector is disconnected from the pump (voltage to the fuel pump connector for a couple of seconds).

I have checked and cleaned all connections -front and side fairings are off

I checked voltage at connectors.

I swapped the Fuel Pump Relay, Headlight Relays, Engine Stop Relays around -same intermittent failures, same frequency

>12 volts at Bank Angle Sensor

Again, if connector off at Fuel Pump, cycling ignition or kill switch always results in >12 volts at Fuel Pump Connector for a couple of seconds.

Manual says Fuel Pump.  $$$$$$$$

Anyone ever experience the clicking of the Fuel Pump Relay?

Anyone change a Fuel Pump?  What were the symptoms of your pump failure?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Hi Jimmer.

Haven't changed a pump before but sounds like you've diagnosed a faulty pump. If you are getting the 12v at the pump connector for approx 2 seconds at switch on then all is good up to the pump itself. Clicking of the fuel pump relay will occur at the On and Off of the 2 second ignition on cycle.

You might want to also check the state of your 30amp fuses, cooked wires and bad joints at the fuses.

Good Luck.

It is relatively easy to swap out. You could score a second hand one off eBay and probably do well.

Just be sure it's not malfunctioning from too little fuel in the tank. Have seen that before.

Once you are convinced it needs swapping out, make life easier on yourself and lighten the tank by siphoning as much fuel out as possible.

Just take your time and don't force it, compress the rubber skirting and metal filter scrunchy and slowly work the new one in so you don't break anything. If you do go second hand it would be worth putting a new inline fuel filter on it (not the metal scrunchy).

Thanks for the replies.

Update...

Confident that I was getting 12V at the Fuel Pump Connector without the Fuel Pump load, I connected the Fuel Pump, and then put an "auxiliary ground" from the green wire to a bolt under the seat.

Perfect prime, tested about twenty times.

I removed my "auxiliary ground", and things have tested perfect through at least 50 Ignition cycles and Kill Switch cycles.

So, why was the Fuel Pump Relay cycling the way it did???  The bike is usually stored Nov. to March.  Do Relays get "sticky"?  and why did more than one Relay exhibit the same issue?  The Fuel Pump Relay has it's ground switched through the ECU.

I have a family party today and will be away from the bike, but will post more as I go.

"I despise intermittent faults because right now I can't fix it, cause right now it ain't broke"  :happy:

• Member Contributer

Hi Jimmer.

Have you had a good look at your main 30amp fuses, burnt wiring and high resistant joints can develope in this area and cause issues like you've had. Check all your grounds are in a good state, including the ones for the ECU.

Good Luck

Cheers.

Well, I've had an interesting couple of days.

I have cleaned up and ox guarded all of the connections I could find, the kill switch, and all of the grounding points I could locate.

I would clean some up, then test, to see what made the difference.  I am of the opinion that removing the light plastic angled cover on the Fuel Pump Connector, and moving those wires around made the most difference, because once I did that, I have had a good solid sounding prime.

As I put the plastics back on, I tested.  All good.

I washed the bike.  All good.

I have taken a short ride.  All good.

All told, the last 100 plus cycles have been perfectly fine.

Once again, ladies and gentlemen, thanks for your help, and keep that wiring clean!

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, jimmer said:

Well, I've had an interesting couple of days.

I have cleaned up and ox guarded all of the connections I could find, the kill switch, and all of the grounding points I could locate.

I would clean some up, then test, to see what made the difference.  I am of the opinion that removing the light plastic angled cover on the Fuel Pump Connector, and moving those wires around made the most difference, because once I did that, I have had a good solid sounding prime.

As I put the plastics back on, I tested.  All good.

I washed the bike.  All good.

I have taken a short ride.  All good.

All told, the last 100 plus cycles have been perfectly fine.

Once again, ladies and gentlemen, thanks for your help, and keep that wiring clean!

Jimmer.

Did you have a look at the 30a fuses as suggested, mentioned it twice. Sounds like you may have it solved anyway.

Cheers.

Yes, the fuses were among the first things I looked at, since no body panels need  removal, and their condition is mentioned in so many posts here.

I replaced the one with the red wires with a brand new one I had from when the harness was recalled.  The old one had the slightest discolouration from heat.  I will monitor the new one.

The other one looked perfect.

I still had the priming issue after my Main Fuse Wiring check.

Thanks

This exact situation happened to me when a ground in my big blue connector failed. I had to tap into both sides of the connector and run the grounds to the frame, to fix it. I haven't changed the pump, but I have changed the fuel filter, which is a similar process and it was a bit of a PITA, but if you fully run the tank dry before attempting, it shouldn't be that difficult. If I were you, before tearing into the fuel tank, I would take a very close look at the big blue connector. Take it apart and look for any signs of corrosion or heat. Also with the key in the on position, wiggle the connection around and see if the fuel pump cycles, to tell you if you are having a bad ground/big blue connection issue.

Thanks. I appreciate the information.

Have you had the harness recall done?  The posts about the blue connector ground wire fix say that the ground connection (green wires on either side of the blue connector) is no longer there. I have a green wire on only one side due to the recall.

My bike is a 2007, so it was never recalled. A lot of things still failed though, like the big blue connector, main fuse holder, rr to stator connector etc...

Archived