RC15 comstar/comcast rims - information sought

schwarzc

Hello!

I have a 83 VF750F and it hast comstar rims (gold aluminium rim, multi piece, all fitted together with rivets)
And I have a problem: I dont get any decent brake discs anymore. There are some used ones around on ebay (where you never know, what you get), and no aftermarket discs except from a small german company called "metal gear". Long story short: these brake discs must be modified to fit the comstar wheel (riveted to the little central "adapter"). And as I dont like fiddling around with brake discs, i searched for alternatives, and came across the "comcast" wheels for the VF750F. (cast aluminium, black "spokes", polished silver outer rim)

These rims look like they can take the disc directly without adapter (which, in therms from honda development team would make totally sense,  .... )
Does any of you know, if this is true?
Do you know any other differences between these wheels? (distance of brake discs, axle, speedo drive, tire dimensions, and so on, ... )
and does any of you know, why the RC15 has 2 sets of different factory wheels?
Has any of you already done a wheel swap from comstar to comcast of vice versa?

Thank you in advance for the answers!
All the best greetings from Austria

• Member Contributer

I purchased a new 1983 blue/white US model VF750F while stationed in Japan from Sakae Motors (who had the contract to fulfill orders from Yokosuka Naval Base at the time).  While having the initial service completed (around 600 miles) a Japanese VF750F owner saw my bike and wanted to have that color as it was not available in Japan.

We had the dealership swap over the plastics and the wheels.  So the cast alloy comcast wheels with standard brake discs will directly swap with your more desirable (to me anyway) comstar wheels.

I would be willing to help you find a set with good brake discs if you were interested in making a swap.  I have a 1983 project bike that would look great with the gold comstar wheels.

• Member Contributer

gallery_7288_1401_57707.jpggallery_7288_1401_23992.jpg

RThe second pic shows the bike after swapping the plastics while we were waiting on the Japanese owner to mount new tires as his rear had been cut while running over something.

• Member Contributer

I don't know if this will help you, but a company here in the UK called Harwood Performance Source (www.BikeHPS.com) can get custom brake discs made, seemingly in any pattern and configuration.  The discs are made by a company called "ISR", which is Swedish, I believe, so you might be able to order them directly or through another source closer to home.  Good luck.

Ciao,

Hey!

Thanks for the feedback, that is the information, i needed :)

I am in contact with the "metal gear" company - they can modify the brake discs, so i can put them on the comstar wheels.

I also found comcast rims on ebay, but the seller wants 150 USD shipping, ... phew.

Now i have to decide, what to do, ...

Does any of you know the reason, why the US got comcast, and Europe got Comstar? - I am just curious, ...

@cornercarver: If i will swap, I will keep my comstar rims (we have very strict laws for modification here - i need the wheels if police sends the motorcycle to federal technical inspection) but I can search for comstar wheels here (plenty of rims around on ebay), and send them to you :)
(but keep in mind, this i a winter project, If i do the swap, it will have be around November/December)

Archived