Oh no! Honda says....

JZH

• Member Contributer

Looking for something else entirely, I happened to run across this document from the 2002 Honda CD-ROM I picked up at either EICMA (Milan) or INTERMOT (Munich) in the Autumn of 2001.

The attached document was from the "Dealer Presentation" folder, which appears to have been intended to educate European Honda dealers and service personnel about the new 2002 Honda motorcycle models and the 2002 changes to existing models.  The "6th gen" VFR was introduced in 2002, as well as the ST1300 Pan European, the CBR954RR and the VTR1000 SP-2, so it was an active year for Honda.  This was, therefore, an internal-use-only document, not intended for release to the general public in Europe or anywhere else.  But I couldn't help choking on my Rice Krispies when I read it, though!  (See p.3)

CTT_VFR_1-INTRO.pdf

The rest of the VFR .pdfs are here:

CTT_VFR_2-BODY.PDF

CTT_VFR_3-ENGINE.pdf

CTT_VFR_4-FUEL.pdf

CTT_VFR_5-SERVICE.pdf

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Some of those MOV files playback really fast! None the less, thanks for posting.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, JZH said:

1998_VFR_INFO.MOV

Finally, I don't know why this one was included, possibly for "reference" purposes, but I'm happy it was!

Ciao,

Love the cutaways in this one.  Screen shots of these will make for some great desktop backgrounds. 

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Some of those MOV files playback really fast! None the less, thanks for posting.

Yep, no idea why, but those are what they provided.  I went back through my Outlook calendar to see whether I attended EICMA or INTERMOT that year, and it was definitely EICMA.  A few days after 9/11...

Some more stuff about VTEC here:

vtec1.swf

vtec2.swf

vtec3.swf

vtec4.swf

vtec5.swf

Hyper_VTEC_Presentation.mov

And the press release:

vfr02e.pdf

Ciao,

1 hour ago, JZH said:

Some more stuff about VTEC here:

Hyper VTEC :happy:

Btw John, maybe you can answer this one: When browsing the photos of the Honda EPC (10.0) the pics all have the cubic displacement of the vehicle portrayed in the picture name. But when looking at the 5th (or should it be 4th) gen pics there is one called VFR300W. Has there been a small displacement learner VFR made for e.g. the Japanese market that you know of?

• Member Contributer

Perhaps we should refer to them the "Fi" and "Vtec" models from now on then?  :goofy:

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

VLC Media player has a playback speed control.  It won't make a huge difference, but it does help get it closer to a more normal speed. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

VLC Media player has a playback speed control.  It won't make a huge difference, but it does help get it closer to a more normal speed. 

Yeah, that's what I use, the default speed is just way too fast! I did slow it down with the speed control but it would appear that redoing the file set at a slower speed would be the best way to make it watchable.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for sharing these documents from the VTEC intro. 

Having owned a pair of 3rd gens, a pair of 5th gens, and currently a VTEC, and with scores of thousands of miles on each I have my own favourites.

For styling I prefer my '91 and '92 VFR750.

The best engine has to be the '98-'02 VFR800.

I like having the ABS on my VTEC, but have to admit that it's high, heavy exhaust is an odd choice.

Question: has anyone mechanically competent tried to disable the VTEC system (ie. forced on)? If not, why not?

• Member Contributer
On 8/16/2016 at 2:02 PM, V4 Rosso said:

Hyper VTEC :happy:

Btw John, maybe you can answer this one: When browsing the photos of the Honda EPC (10.0) the pics all have the cubic displacement of the vehicle portrayed in the picture name. But when looking at the 5th (or should it be 4th) gen pics there is one called VFR300W. Has there been a small displacement learner VFR made for e.g. the Japanese market that you know of?

I've certainly not heard of anything like that.  Honda used to make 400cc "riding school" bikes, usually w/o fairings and festooned with multicoloured lights (so the instructors could see what the students were doing with the controls at all times), but I haven't seen anything recent.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

The VTEC model is the 5th generation of the VFR I suppose. We just include the VF's in our reckoning of the different generations. Ah, technicalities.... Interesting stuff, thanks for posting it.

Archived