1985 VF1000R Restomod

tuningforkranch

New to this forum….been in motorcycle business for 30 years and still enjoy what I do. My days off are spent working the ranch I own with my wife, but any free time is dedicated to my motorcycle toys. Here is a VF1000r Restomod that I purchased in the last year. The basic bike had been completed by another enthusiast in Connecticut, but when it arrived at my doorstep, it had been dropped out of the truck during delivery to me in Texas. The FZR1000 upside forks had been damaged, as were the fairings. This forced me to revamp the bike and get creative on a few things, so decided to take things a step further….I opted to install a set of Ohlins forks off of an old Aprilia RSVR, the triple trees off of a 2008 Aprilia Tuono, and the front wheel was changed to a period correct Dymag (this was on parts bike…Dymag rear wheel was already installed from previous owner. Had major mods done at machine shop to make Dymags accept Brembo discs and space them correctly, as well as the Aprilia triple trees modified to accept VF1000R stem (can use stock bearings) All was going well until I realized that there was no provision for a speedo drive on the wheel. I decided to go with a GPS Speedometer from Speedhut that mimicked the look of the stock speedometer in the stock spot (works like a champ!) The local paint and body shop I used did a great job on all the paint and fiberglas repair. All striping is painted on…no graphics other than the usual emblems from CBdecals.com….Lots of other work, even had the guys at M4 help out and supply an exhaust canister hooked to the Hindle 4 into 1 head pipes. Will try to post more pics sometime soon…..  

IMG_3269.JPG

IMG_3270.JPG

• Member Contributer

Nice ride! Lovely work, there. I might wish for similar photos where the bike was in the sun rather than shadow. There are, I think, at least a half-dozen active guys here who have some deep knowledge of the VF1000. Now you can expand that knowledge base further.

Welcome to VFRD -- possibly the greatest enthusiast forum in all the world. We have all manner of motorcyclists here: old, young, fast, slow, commuters, tourers, racers, modders,   stockers, master mechanics and noobs.

What an awesome project. Suspension, paintwork, exhaust.... Nicely done. Would like to see some detail shots. I'll bet it sounds great, too!

JOE in IL

V4Dreams.com

• Member Contributer

That is an awesome VF1KR, more pictures when you get a chance would be appreciated.

On first pic here are the noticeable items: M4 Exhaust, Tarozzi Rearsets, Ohlins front forks, Dymag wheels, Brembo front brakes, CBR900 fiberglas tail, CBR900 seat, VFR750 fuel tank, Triumph Daytona 675 turn signals

Second pic: Better pic of CBR900 tail with original VF1000R tail light. CBR300 carbon tank pad, shortened Triumph Daytona 675 sidestand, TRX450R Honda emblem on tail

Third pic: 86 headlights, MRA dark screen, carbon front Aprilia RSVR front fender, Brembo front master cylinder, CRG levers

Last pic: Speedhut GPS speedometer (works like a champ)…not waterproof, but who in their right mind is going to ride this bike in the rain and get the speedo wet? That's what my Triumph Tiger is for!    

• Member Contributer

So many subtle details that only a trained eye would see.   The more you look, the more you see.  Love it. 

• Member Contributer

Oh sure, spoil it for all wanting to pursue a restomod.

Just kidding! Awesome...and inspiring to all wanting to pursue a restomod!

Love the black frame, and the swingarm looks great.  Gonna take a bastard file to my swingarm to add some highlights too!

Cheers

Welcome to VFRD. Beautiful bike, some really nicely thought out mods there.

Don't be shy, where's your other bikes?

Thank you to all for the warm welcome….

Nothing like a V4 with a great exhaust note at any speed (especially those higher ones). One of my other mounts is a 1993 VFR750 set up for longer jaunts with convert-bars, 2003 Yamaha R1 forks, RC51 triple trees, and Remus slip-on, Brembo front brake and clutch master cylinders and MRA touring shield with adjustable deflector. Will share pics in the appropriate place on forum…..

As for my other bike I am especially proud of, here is a pic of my 1986 Yamaha FZX Fazer. The attachment to one of these bikes goes back to 1986 when I purchased a new one of these back then. This one has an Aprilia Tuono Ohlins front end, Triumph Sprint front wheel, FZR1000 rear wheel, YZF1000 Thunderace swing arm with adapted shock mounts, Yamaha FZ1 rear brake caliper, Tuono handlebar clamps, Triumph Speed Triple fat bars, Aprilia mirrors, Aprilia Shiver 750 headlight assembly, Euro Black Widow exhaust, Ohlins piggyback rear shocks, Brembo front master cylinders and a fair numbers of other items including a gently massaged '87 FZR1000 motor, as well as an aftermarket digital gauge pack.   

IMG_3443.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

This last Saturday I entered my 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T into a car and bike show along with my VF1000R resto-mod. I almost decided not to enter the show with the VF due to time constraints of getting both vehicles there, but I made it all the same….Imagine my surprise when I won what I thought was the class I had entered for the car…no, I had won "Best of Show" for the VF1000R….just shows what a bit of time, persistence and, of course, money will do for you! Looks like all these VFs deserve a restoration…..  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I spent the day with the previous owner at Rice-O-Rama a few years back, great guy. It was his baby for a bit. Nice job on he repairs.

Did you see his build thread? It's here if you missed it.
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/82058-finished-the-vfkr-kind-of/#comment-1013395

Archived