KTM 1290 GT

• Member Contributer

Rode a KTM 1290 GT last weekend, and it was a freakin' beast! It had as much power as my VFR1200 (175), but was much lighter, and had easier ergonomics - I rode that sucker edge to edge after just a few turns. It has all the uber-modern electronics, as I found out during a crossed up third gear power wheelie turning back into my lane after passing a car. The electronic suspension was spot-on for carving in sport mode, although I did not try the others. This is a very versatile bike, small in stature, as I could easily flat foot it, and my 6'4" buddy thought it was comfortable too. Did I mention it has power? It felt like someone took my VFR1200 engine, and put it in my DRZ400! The hard luggage is a bit small, but included in the price. This bike is on my radar now, but at $21K+, probably not in my near future. If you get a chance ride one, you will be impressed!

• Member Contributer

I've been following the GT since it was announced, definitely on my short list of dream bikes, assuming unlimited funds of course. And it has every electronic aid known to man, as you note.

I thought it wasn't going to hit U.S. dealers until at least August. Did a Bay Area friend buy one already? Where did you get a ride?

• Member Contributer

One of my riding buddy's friends is a service writer for a local shop, and brought it up for a special customer to try. He had signup sheets, and I took a ride. The bike looks a bit "funky" when you're sitting on it, because of the shape of the gas tank, but once you start riding you don't care. The only thing I would add is a taller screen while touring, and maybe a rear top bag (trunk?). If I only had room for one bike, I would sell them all and get the KTM. The cost could only be justified for me if I were retired, or using it to commute every day, or had no wife and kids to spend my "extra" money.

To me, the looks of a motorcycle/car are fairly important. Sometimes I just look at my toys and smile as they stir my soul. The RC51 has that as well, and you have a nice one Noel! I was so worried that I would ruin the look of the bike, when I put my LSL/Spiegler bars on the 1200 and that it would no longer look like a sports bike. Once I put them on, the ergo's were so easy that I didn't give a crap what anyone thought. The weird thing is that even though they are bright gold, not one person has even noticed them, and they still comment on how they have never seen a bike like this before - "I have have never seen one!" or "I saw it in the magazine and paid no attention, it looks way better in person"..............

The RC51 is on my list as well, in fact it was the bike I was looking for when I found the 1200. I should have bought an RC51, then, and the 1200 now as they have switched low/high price points in the last few years. In addition to the RC51, I also like the early Aprilia RSV Mille R. 

• Member Contributer

I am looking for future replacements for my now sold 98 VFR800. Thanks for putting this one on my radar. My 08 Street Triple and 09 FZ1 both have the superbike bars and coming from dirtbike riding roots they just feel correct to me. I will be listing my quality modded 2000 RC51 for sale soon. Have to register it then it goes. Wife says so. What she doesn't know is that another bike will fill it's place. Muhahahahahaaa!

• Member Contributer

I thought I saw an RC51 you were selling a month or two ago on CL, or was that a VFR?

Archived