Completing the circuit with no keys?

rallen0223

I have a 1995 vfr750f. I recently started working on it. It has sat for a little more than a year without running so I replaced the battery. I'm changing the tail section and bought a battery that fits the subframe I am getting. Today I decided to hook the battery up and make sure the vfr would start. As I connected the positive and negative cable to the battery terminals the bike started to turn over. The keys are in my pocket, the ignition is in the lock position and the killswitch is engaged while this is going on. I reconnect everything that was on the subframe because it started fine before I took that off (a little more than a year ago) in case something on there is supposed to be hooked up. Same result. The cables spark continuously after touching the battery terminals and are actually melting the terminals. Talked to a buddy of mine and he says that I might have some wires crossed and to swap some of the electronics around to make sure everything is on the harness correctly. Another friend told me I might need a new wiring harness because it sounds like a relay problem. Anyone on here got any suggestions? Thanks a lot

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

No, your friend is wrong.  You need a new bike!

Or, you could replace the starter relay, which sounds like it is stuck or shorted.  Your choice!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Now that you mention it, the starter switch could be the culprit.  And I've heard of them sticking before...

Replacing the relay should be very easy.  I cannot picture it on the RC46, but on the RC36 it is right next to the battery, sitting in a rubber pocket and attached to a 4-wire plug and two screw terminals.

Ciao,

Remove the yellow/red wire from the starter relay. Now connect the battery. Problem still there? Then it is a stuck starter relay, when not it is a stuck starter switch.

Come to think of it the first time I tried put the battery on the starter relay was even attached and it still did it so does that mean it's probably the starter switch?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Archived