Tank protector - what do you use?

Rambler358

I know there's all sorts of options for tank protection, but I'm looking for something that will protect the tank's paint on the sides and near the top front of the tank.  Preferably something that's not too obtrusive, and blends will with the bike.  Does anyone have the Honda tank pad, and pictures of what it looks like by chance?  Can't really tell what the Honda tank pad looks like from the website.

• Member Contributer

Magknight here.  Covers all areas and dirt does not get in behind it.  Can be fiddly to install but once on fits well.  A Google search will turn up their website. 

I have a Gen Six so I don't know if these would fit, BUT I put the ST1300 pads on my tank. I wanted an OEM look and these even have the HONDA name on them. I think I paid about $100 for all three pads.

5747308662_4efee72d19_z.jpg

• Member Contributer

I use clear 3M film...I don't think it has an adhesive, but sticks like a mutha' hard to tell it is even there. Takes practice...I have a couple wrinkles.

Matt

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On July 25, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Rambler358 said:

I guess I probably should've posted this in the 8th Gen section, Magknight doesn't seem to have anything for the new VFRs.

Tankslapper.  I now have it on my third VFR.  It's invisible unless someone looks really hard at your tank, it works perfect, and is easy to install.  

I use the ST1300 black rubber protector on the back of the fuel tank.  It's expensive but worth it IMO.

• 2 months later...

The black ring around the gas tank filler is a Givi tank lock steel flange for mounting a Givi tank lock tank bag.  The flange allows the tank bag to not touch the paint surface.  See the attached picture, this Givi tank bag is the ST602 model.  

fullsizeoutput_d97.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Here is a couple of pics of the ST1300 tank pad on the 8th Gen.

I was wondering what to put on the sides as well but I didn't want anything I could see, so I was considering cutting my own out from the A4 3M clear protective sheeting.

_MG_2939.jpg

_MG_2946.jpg

Archived