Starting fault

Stumpy

Hi guy's & Girl's, I'm new to biking only passed full licence last year. I have purchased a 93/94 plate VRF 750 great first time bike but experienced it not starting after a 2 hour ride in hot conditions. After trying various basics, battery connections, run switch, fuses and bump start. left it for 30 minutes and it started with no problem

it has been service recently and a new battery, any thoughts.

• Member Contributer

Look to plastic connector plugs, mainly from battery, ie thick wires. Some have had melt downs, look for discoloration of connectors and corroded terminals. Do any lights come on when this occurs? The fact you couldn't bump start could also point to no spark. Use a spare spark plug to check, but only when fault occurs.

Others here may have more experience with your particular model.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Thanks, good ignition lights just nothing happens when you press the start button, definitely not useful if out and about does not give you much confidence to go far either.

checked all you have suggested, nothing untoward found, I just have to test again now.

When it's running check the charging system output by measuring volts across the battery terminals at 5000 rpm. anything less than about 13.5 is trouble.

Archived