Hello from Pennsylvania

CZshooter

First of all....i dont own a VFR...yet.......   Just got into cycling after not sitting on one for 35 years.. Just turned 50....mid life crisis i guess....bought a well used 1988 Sportster 883.  brought it back from life support, and loved it so much, that i bought a 2002 Road King so i could haul my wife around.

Road King runs good, reall good (cams, bored, headwork, etc), but the Sportster is slow, and a bit short for me...planning on selling it.  I'm 6' 225 lbs   Started looking at sport bikes, but finding most look way too small for me, and came across the VFR....looks to be comfortable enought, with enough power to make me happy.

now to find one....I'm a mechanic by trade (farm eqiopment), and like stuff basic and simple.  Especially when stuff gets some age on it.. Just dont trust fuel injection, brain boxes and wiring to last forever, and dragging a older bike to a dealer is not something i really care to do.  Carbs are simple, and reliable for the most part.

So i'm thinking Gen 5 then?. Good machines?  areas to look for when checking one out?

• Member Contributer

5 Gens are fuel injected. The 4 Gen (94-97) was the last carb model and is a 750 not an 800. That being said, the 5 gen (98-99) year models would have cat-less headers and an enrichment circuit (choke lever) rather than the wax units of the (00-01) years. Other than that they are close to the same bike in every other way. Personally I prefer the 3 Gen (90-93) over the 4 Gen, but that's in the looks department.

That being said, the Achilles heel of almost all year VFRs is the stator/RR, or more appropriately, the wiring between the two and the wiring to ground connections. Maintain and/or update these elements and your probably looking at a life time of riding enjoyment. Not to mention the beautiful ear candy these bikes produce, especially with an aftermarket exhaust!

There is a white 93  4th generation VFR 750F for sale  on the Pittsburgh craigslist for $1500. includes repair manual and extra plastics.

I have a 94 and can assure you these have stellar motors despite it being a 750. These are a 750 on steroids. You wont find a better motorcycling bargain anywhere. If you want thrills, the VFR 750 will satisfy. I have no connection to the seller.

Bike located in E Mckeesport PA

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/5655349156.html

Ed in Pgh

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Tman said:

There is a white 93  4th generation VFR 750F for sale  on the Pittsburgh craigslist for $1500. includes repair manual and extra plastics.

I have a 94 and can assure you these have stellar motors despite it being a 750. These are a 750 on steroids. You wont find a better motorcycling bargain anywhere. If you want thrills, the VFR 750 will satisfy. I have no connection to the seller.

Bike located in E Mckeesport PA

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/5655349156.html

Ed in Pgh

The one in this pic is a 3 Gen and looks to be in great shape.

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, CZshooter said:

70,000 miles though....what problems start to crop up at that kind of mileage?

Based on quite a few members here and on VFRWorld, 70k is a drop in the bucket! I recently helped a member change his brakes and bleed the lines on his 2002 with 191k miles! Yes, miles. And it felt pretty solid when I took it for a spin.

Archived