Shifter Modification Info?

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

Anyone know where I can find info about the shifter modification that can be done to a 5th Gen?

I remember it involving replacement of a small metal wheel & arm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi.

I've installed that kit on my 5th gen VFR. Ask, if you need infos.

Ciao, Luigi.

• Member Contributer
52 minutes ago, luigi said:

Hi.

I've installed that kit on my 5th gen VFR. Ask, if you need infos.

Ciao, Luigi.

Did it make a significan difference ?  My box shifts quite sweetly !

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Did it make a significan difference ?  My box shifts quite sweetly !

Hi.

I've installed the kit almost immediadetely after i bought the bike, so i've not used much time in OEM conditions.

If you have no trouble with gear i don't think it's so necessary, i've installed to test it 'cause i'm a modifications enthusiast, not for real needings.

Anyway i've never had problems, maybe just very few times in more than 8 years of daily use (even i hard condition like fast shiftin-up without clutch) i've had a engaged gear missed, but i don't think for a kit guilt

Honestly i can't say nothing of wrong. Installation is not so difficult, i complete the work in a pair of hour, working slow.

If i remember good the only part excluded by the kit is the water pump o-ring bought from an Honda dealer, the rest is included in the kit.

The price is not so high and, anyway, if you are not satisflied, you can return to the OEM equipment at any time.

Hope helps

Ciao, Luigi.

• Member Contributer

I too installed a FactoryPro shift star kit. Changing gears is a joy on my bike after the installation, which is pretty easy on the 5th engine as all the mechanism is located on the left so no clutch cover/clutch disturbance. 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

I did it on my sixth gen. I am not so sure that I would recommend it. 

Thanks for your feedback on this one. I had been curious about this, but my shift technique/skill is very good, so I haven't bothered. 

But coming from you, I know now to totally skip it permanently .... 

:beer:

• Member Contributer

I've had the older Factory Pro "Shift Kits" on bikes like my RC36 and CBR1000F, maybe even my NC30 (can't remember now!), but not the newer "Shift Star" kit.  The older kits were just stronger springs + ball bearing arms.  I thought they helped, but the way they did this was to basically force you to shift more positively--something you could actually do on your own without the kit!  I plan to install a Shift Star soon-ish, as I'm curious to see if it makes any difference.  But if you never miss gears anyway, I can't see what these kits can to to "help".

Ciao,

15 hours ago, mello dude said:

Thanks for your feedback on this one. I had been curious about this, but my shift technique/skill is very good, so I haven't bothered. 

But coming from you, I know now to totally skip it permanently .... 

:beer:

It is definitely a quality piece, but I don't think it did much. I was just throwing parts at my bike. Since I have had Sato rear sets and the factory pro shift kit on my bike forever, it is hard to tell which did what. It does shift more quick and positive than stock, but for a street bike, it is right on the edge of being too difficult to find neutral at  stop lights to be worth quicker shifting.

• Member Contributer

For a 5th gen it made a huge difference for me, I now use clutchless upshifts exclusively other then 1-2. I had a problem trying following an install thread that suggested it might be easier to install the "sprung arm first then the star" which i found impossible after an hour. Install star then arm, which takes 2 minutes.

My 6th gen clutchless upshifted fine before the shift kit. From what I have read, the main benefit of the Factory Pro shift kit, is that it allows you to reduce your fuel cut time of the quick shifter by 5-10ms and it reduces the chance of hitting a "false neutral"

Archived