New shaft drive motorcycle land-speed record?

VFR155

Ran 172.702 mph at the mile, and 177.311 mph at the 1.5 mile yesterday at Loring on my 2010 DCT VFR! 

As as I posted last Spring

asking if anyone knew the current record for shaft drive bikes, The Phantom found BMW had run 176.789 on their fastest pass at Bonneville on a K1300S in 2005. http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-bonneville-record.htm

Thanks Phantom - thought the VFR was all done at 170.xxx last Labor Day. 

Then, at Loring's May event, I ran 175.xxx with a tailwind. 

Yesterday, I made a 170.xxx pass on pump gas, then topped up about 2/3 tank with C9 racing fuel, at 96 octane. It took me three passes to get there, but 177.702 mph beats BMW Factory Racing with a stock, other than guhl speed restriction and rev-limit work, Honda. 

My friend Ralphie Navarro broke the 1000cc record at 220.xxx yesterday on a BMW S1000RR, so BMW can rest on that. Honda has the fastest shaft drive ... unless ... Phantom - any more? That was a good find on the BMW record!

As for Veefour's claimed 188 mph at the end of my last post, I've got to cry bunk, no disrespect intended. At 170 it's already above redline. At 177 it's over 10,750 rpm, and there's just not enough power way up there for another 11 mph. I may have been accelerating at the 1.5 mike trap, but it wasn't at all apparent. 

In in any event, it was heaps of fun!  I sure would like to see someone else run out their VFR for a sanctioned event .  Some competition would be a lot of fun too. 

image.jpeg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Awesome! Too bad we can't change our gearing as with a chain and sprockets................

Thanks burns. I didn't go to the minimal effort to remove the mirrors, have splice connectors for the purpose, just didn't get around to it, so just folded them back. 

Swimmer, maybe it will be the fastest VFR of all time, unless someone goes the extra inches to remove their mirrors!

RC, the VFR wouldn't be competitive in its class with Hayabusas, and wouldn't be the fastest shaft drive bike with a chain final drive. 

Heres the evidence ...

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I see you have the DCT, what shift mode did you use during your runs?

As far as Veeefour's 188, the speed delta is likely due to speedo inaccuracy.  Your time was measured independently, I recall his speed was read from his speedo.

• Member Contributer

Good going on the bus, well done. What were the bike aerodynamics like at that velocity ?

Marsman - Ran in Sport mode, played with short shifting in manual last year, no point. It's so crisp in Auto. At the 1-2 shift point, if your front wheel is on the not ground, the dct won't shift in any mode, so long as that front is down it just punches gear to gear. Vee had said a pic of GPS reading at 303kph existed, FYI. Draw your own conclusions :-), I'm here for fun. 

Mohawk - thanks. Aero is superbly stable at any speed. May research stock factory bagger record, maybe two-up record, for Labor Day. Who knows?

On 7/16/2016 at 1:08 AM, VFR155 said:

Ran 172.702 mph at the mile, and 177.311 mph at the 1.5 mile yesterday at Loring on my 2010 DCT VFR! 

As as I posted last Spring

As for Veefour's claimed 188 mph at the end of my last post, I've got to cry bunk, no disrespect intended. At 170 it's already above redline. At 177 it's over 10,750 rpm, and there's just not enough power way up there for another 11 mph. I may have been accelerating at the 1.5 mike trap, but it wasn't at all apparent. 

Well, you got to accept that as I have GPS measurement. Unless you are calling me a liar? 

You can be the "second" fastest...my advice is to switch to manual transmission so you can do more.

179,8 MPH is what I can prove but I've seen more on my speedo but never recorded with GPS.

Took me couple of km to achieve tho - German Autobahn.

303 kph is what I've seen on "speedo" which we all know is waaay OFF. GPS on the other hand is DEAD accurate.

Not sure how you can have 177 at redline - you can't cheat the MATH - 11k rpm gives 188 MPH which I claimed as a theoretical

max speed - not what I have recorded :pinocchio:

cs4t4.jpg  

Just made four passes in "normal" weather. 169.xxx. 

Tried last in D mode, slower mile, same 1.5 mile speed. It does short shift in D, but not a big effect. 

Veefour, if you're cred is increased by knocking DCT, have at it. Your claims are bunk unless you're finding 80kmh tailwinds on das autobahn. The euro speedos are crap, get a US speedo if you want to stop dreaming. Read 178 at 177mph. 

Peace out!

4 hours ago, VFR155 said:

Just made four passes in "normal" weather. 169.xxx. 

Tried last in D mode, slower mile, same 1.5 mile speed. It does short shift in D, but not a big effect. 

Veefour, if you're cred is increased by knocking DCT, have at it. Your claims are bunk unless you're finding 80kmh tailwinds on das autobahn. The euro speedos are crap, get a US speedo if you want to stop dreaming. Read 178 at 177mph. 

Peace out!

VFR155, Your claims are bunk unless you're finding 80mph tailwinds on Die Autobahn, not "Das".

US speedos are crap and your made that pass sheet on your PC at home and your mom printed it for you so can be a real wannabe.

Just accept it dude, someone is always faster.

• Member Contributer

Actually GPS is not all that accurate, especially in phone application. I've seen a fair bit of deviation compared to proper GPS systems. But on a flat road they are reasonably accurate, all depends on the number of satellites tracked & the update frequency.

Phone based systems do NOT account for elevation changes in their speed calculation & neither do many of the cheap units, thus they become less accurate if you are climbing or descending a hill. 

Unfortunately all speeds are hearsay unless recorded in an official manner, such as a time trial, or land speed record event. A measured speed with certified equipment is the only way to claim a record !

Thank you Mohawk. Veefour looks like he is relying on a screenshot from an app.  As suspected, bunk! A three coil steamer of bunk.  Who knows who's 9/11 he was in when he snatched that? 

6 minutes ago, VFR155 said:

Thank you Mohawk. Veefour looks like he is relying on a screenshot from an app.  As suspected, bunk! A three coil steamer of bunk.  Who knows who's 9/11 he was in when he snatched that? 

I reckon you made your sheet yourself homie - bunk! I think you don't even own any bike...

And ...  One can find information matching my pictured time slip at www.loringtiming.com and any other passes L122 has made since 2013 or 2014 when I started running it. 

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Actually GPS is not all that accurate, especially in phone application. I've seen a fair bit of deviation compared to proper GPS systems. But on a flat road they are reasonably accurate, all depends on the number of satellites tracked & the update frequency.

Phone based systems do NOT account for elevation changes in their speed calculation & neither do many of the cheap units, thus they become less accurate if you are climbing or descending a hill. 

Unfortunately all speeds are hearsay unless recorded in an official manner, such as a time trial, or land speed record event. A measured speed with certified equipment is the only way to claim a record !

My friend has a Drift Box - we compared 100kph from this app and 100kph with DB and it was dead straight.

Next time I'll take that DB with me to prove that VFR155 is a BUNK!

And you can't argue with Drift Box as it's used to measure the Guinness Records... 

4 minutes ago, VFR155 said:

And ...  One can find information matching my pictured time slip at www.loringtiming.com and any other passes L122 has made since 2013 or 2014 when I started running it. 

Yeah, yeah - your mom has a very good printer at work...BUNK!

Veefour, I left the "other"  VFR site because of a negative troll like you. Why do you feel it necessary to brag about your unverified numbers, and knock mine from an officially sanctioned timing association?

I I will answer any intelligent replies courteously and respectfully, as always. Veeweenie your posts will no longer be acknowledged by this community member.  I bought my VFR after it sat in the showroom for two years, at a deep discount, and I had interest in both the unique V4, and the DCT. You apparently bought yours for the same reason Americans buy Harleys ... tiny in the pants ... safe travels!

So VFR155 has shown his official LTA timing slip. It confirms without a doubt 177.3 MPH

veefour has shown a screenshot of a smartphone gps showing 178.7 MPH

VFR155 has shown absolute proof, veefour has not. A run down the bahn isn't timed speed run in any way and means nothing.

55 minutes ago, VFR155 said:

Veefour, I left the "other"  VFR site because of a negative troll like you. Why do you feel it necessary to brag about your unverified numbers, and knock mine from an officially sanctioned timing association?

I I will answer any intelligent replies courteously and respectfully, as always. Veeweenie your posts will no longer be acknowledged by this community member.  I bought my VFR after it sat in the showroom for two years, at a deep discount, and I had interest in both the unique V4, and the DCT. You apparently bought yours for the same reason Americans buy Harleys ... tiny in the pants ... safe travels!

No no no, you are the only negative troll here. For me your US "officially so called blah blab whatever" association "slip" is as much plausible

as my GPS measurement - nobody can verify that, neither care to verify...because why? That slip you provided means nothing to me as

I can duplicate it in 10 min using Paint...

I provided the proof - long before you even tried yourself. You instantly assumed that I have a shitty EU speedo, BUNK! and I'm probably lying...

You lied about me claiming 188mph - I never said that. Then Marsman told you that I was referring to the SPEEDO reading.

Then you said:  Vee had said a pic of GPS reading at 303kph existed - which I never said you LAIR!

Who's the liar here? WTF?!?!

As I told you - there's always someone faster out there. You just got super jealous that someone was faster by a tiny bit than your fat ass.

I have a feeling that even if I provide the NASA satellite reading you will still claim that is a EU shitty BUNK!

Because you are a jealous troll and you cant accept certain things - grow up! 

29 minutes ago, Tamworth said:

So VFR155 has shown his official LTA timing slip. It confirms without a doubt 177.3 MPH

veefour has shown a screenshot of a smartphone gps showing 178.7 MPH

VFR155 has shown absolute proof, veefour has not. A run down the bahn isn't timed speed run in any way and means nothing.

And I never will be able to provide that data as we don't have such EVENTS here in EU...because you can do it EVERY day on German AB...

I will take my friends DriftBox next time with me and trust me, I had readings over 180 mph.

But I have a feeling that this will be claimed as a BUNK no matter what I do.

7 minutes ago, Tamworth said:

Lolz Veefour you don't understand what a timing association is, your comments make no sense.

Some kind of cheap class B horror movie or 1970's American Rock band? no? Sorry, I'm not american...but I think I've seen that on Jeopardy?

I trust 20 dollar supermarket GPS more...sorry.

Records are achieved on a sanctioned, verified, measured track. The Southern California Timing Association (SCTA) was the first and only for many many years. The SCTA has approved the East Coast Timing Association, and the Loring Timing Association, and perhaps others. 

Spped is is measured by tripping lights, one 60ft (1/88th mile) before the measured distance and the second at the measured distance. There is no more accurate known method of recording speed. 

Records using any other method, especially self-reported records unverified by an independent third party, are bunk. No sanctioning body recognizes the Guinness Book of Records excepting the Nathan's Hot Dog Timing Associatiin. 

Loring is the only 1.5 mile trap outside Bonneville, but their is the Ohio Mile and the Texas Mile if anyone wishes to go after my 172.7 at the mile. Any manual shift should be able to take that out, as the DCT is incapable of launching hard. 

Let's go racing, on track, folks!

For example Bugatti Veyron Guinness world speed record was measured with VGPS Display made by Dewetron.

GPS is enough accurate(under 1%) to reckon that you are not even close to the fastest VFR1200 out there.

Guinness says GPS is OK so it's good for me - I don't care what VFR155 says...clearly a load of crap.

I will take my friend's Drift Box next month with me and prove that You are actually more then 10mph behind.

I was not interested with any speed record holding but since you have no respect to others I shall "debunk"

your "wannabe attitude" once and for all.

Archived