Feels like a loose chain, but it's 100% not.

Pretty much as the title suggests.

I'm getting that 'rubber-banding' feeling from the bike which usually tells me it needs a chain adjustment, but it's perfect. I checked it, then got it checked by a mechanic (where i work), adjusted 100% correctly, even accounting for the tight-spot.

Swing-arm pinch bolt is tight etc.. Wheel bolts are tight.

I'm at a loss as to the cause as it's (probably) quite a recent thing.

I'm willing to put it down to 'rider error' and that i'm just being weird.

Rear shock hasn't changed in feel, and loading is the same (still has my fat arse on it daily!). Had one of the guys (qualified bike mechanic) ride it today, said he couldn't feel anything wrong. While i know the bike suddenly feels different to me for some reason, i can also accept that it's just me, and not the bike.

In a way; i was hoping he'd find something wrong. Now i just need to keep reminding myself it's 99% likely to just be a figment of my imagination.

though i will be having a close look at the rear shock, and also inspecting the drive chain components when i'm next in there, be it for a deeper clean, or maintenance. That may be soon, as i intend to rebuild the clutch slave/piston, and maybe my clutch plates and springs (the grinding is getting on my nerves).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum CEO

I missed the post on the new chain and sprockets. I would have suggested the chain was worn. It's possible the cush drive is worn. Rubber cush inserts in the bell shaped drive holding the rear sprocket. They dry rot and crack. It is an older bike.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Carrier bearing?

Not all chains are created equal. Can be rubbish at any price.

I recently ditched a funky not so old O ring type chain for doing the same crap as yours.

Went back to a conventional chain with the spring clip link and it just worked well. The back end of my bike settled down nice. Yeah, more chain lube to use but I wasted lots on the rubbish chain anyways.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Clutch slipping? Mine went at around 60k miles.  One time I thought my chain was loose and sloppy it was the spring on the center stand. One had gone so it acted normal but would bounce around giving a sloppy chain sensation in the frame while riding.

Interesting. Hadn't considered a loose C-stand spring. I'll have a look in to that.

As for the clutch: While it might not be on the way out, it's not without some issues lately: Keeps slipping in to neutral, and then there's the common 'grinding' issue. I could probably solve both of those with some heavy duty EBC plates and springs, but i don't want a heavier clutch, as a LOT of my riding is in the city.

Archived