Registering Motorbikes in the Netherlands?

JZH

• Member Contributer

This is really a question for "you know who", but it is general in nature so the answers might be usefully used by others in the future.

I am looking at a potential job opportunity in Amsterdam, so naturally the first thing I think about is my bikes!  So, how hard is it to import motorbikes into the Netherlands from, e.g., the UK, and register them there?  Is there an annual inspection?  How expensive is insurance?  Anything else I should know?

Dank u wel,

• Member Contributer

Well,  Britain is -still- EU so assuming they are UK registeed, this should be fairly simple and cheap.

There are part of your "estate" so you domot have to pay import tax (you must if you bring in a vehicle you jist bought).

I registered my UK plated LeMans no problemo when I seized to be a UK citizen and became a Dutch resident again (bye bye exemption for income tax.....)

I can enquire in the next couple of days for you, pm me what you want to bring with you/want registered to ride on the road (make model/year)

Graag gedaan

• Member Contributer

Thanks, Leon.  One reason I'm concerned is because most of my bikes were "grey imports" into the UK, so never sold new in the UK (or NL).  Everything in my signature except the ST1300, one of the RC46s and one of the RC36s are UK-registered (and the FiY is in California anyway).  The other RC36 and the ST1300 are...not UK-registered, so I might want to register them in NL, too, if I could avoid paying EU import duties.  I know people relocating into a country for work purposes are often allowed to avoid import taxes, but the rules could be written narrowly to exclude my bikes that were never officially in the UK in the first place.  But that's a minor issue.

How about annual inspections?  Embarrassingly, many of my bikes are declared "off the road" because I don't have time to get them all roadworthy and inspected here each year.  :unsure:

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

Afaik, any motor vehicle you already own is import tax exempt, also for the "luxury tax" on motor vehicles.

To get them tagged, the model must be in their database of vehicles uniform confirmation declarations; so if Cloggyland is going to be your next destination, I will check with the RDW (licencing body)

There is no MOT for motorcycles.

for a few years now, building/modding bikes is all the craze here in NL so the testers do have more experience with this.

But if a bike/model is not in their database, it will be an individual testing procedure...

Whether or not that is expensive depends on your disposable income :goofy:

2 hours ago, JZH said:

many of my bikes are declared "off the road" because I don't have time to get them all roadworthy and inspected here each year.  :unsure:

Here to you can take them "off the road" to avoid having to pay insurance and road tax. When a vehicle with Dutch plates is taken off the road you initially have to pay €75, annual renewal is €24 per vehicle. This is for max of 5 vehicles, if you have more (collector) then you do not need to pay for the rest of them. And "off the road" is to be taken literaly, you can not park a vehicle that is uninsured and without road tax in the public street. 

Insurance I think is a lot cheaper than what you pay in the UK. I have only liability insurance for my RC36 and that is about €60-70 per year.

• Member Contributer

I will take that RVF of your hands for a fiver so you no longer have to worry....    :-)

• Member Contributer

Now, now...  No need to be that helpful.  :happy:

Ciao,

Archived