New 6th owner

DonovanJM

Finally picked myself up a 6th Gen!  I have wanted one for 4 or 5 years now.  It's an '07 Anniversary edition.  It has 48k miles on it.   It's been on it's left side at least once but since I'm still relatively new that's ok with me.  I'll probably get the plastic fixed and painted over one of these winters coming up.  

I'm not entirely sure what has been done to it.   It has Leo Vince slip-ons. What's the point of two mufflers when the join right before them?  Adjustable levers on both the clutch and brake. I don't see a name on them so they are probably cheapies but they seem to work. Carbon fiber front fender.  Other than that it looks stock.  I haven't delved to deeply yet though.   It doesn't look like as if the previous owner had many passengers since he removed the rear pegs.  

It has been pointed out that it looks like I may be missing a couple lug nuts.  I'm at work so I'll have to check in the morning.  Hopefully they just are dark so they don't show up well.  I'm not holding my breath though.  Crossing my fingers that the lug nuts are just missing and the studs aren't busted. 

I haven't ridden it much but so far I love it! 

20160624_171700.jpg

20160626_163114.jpg

20160626_163058.jpg

20160626_163124.jpg

20160625_163245.jpg

20160626_163200.jpg

20160626_163029.jpg

20160626_163137.jpg

• Member Contributer

Congrats DonovanJM.

How many miles on the clock? Most important thing is how well its been cared for, good routine maintenance will keep them running well for 100,000 miles. Enjoy your new toy.

Cheers.

Grum.

It has 48k miles on it.  I know it's had a valve job in the last few years.  I'm not positive how many miles ago it was.  I have the receipt at home.  I hope it gives me a lot of trouble free miles. I'm quite excited that I got it. 

• Member Contributer

Nice bike!  (ok it needs a little TLC)

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond!

Well, I checked on those lug nuts when I got and I do have 4 of them.  2 of them are obviously not oem but at least I have them all on so I can ride while I get a full matching set.  

20160627_060624.jpg

Thank you for the link!  I'm thinking about trying to find some black ones or maybe some locking nuts.  Is there much of a reason for locking nuts?  I can't imagine rear wheels are stolen much. 

I thought if I made sure to get the 12mm x 1.5 ball seat it would center like it's supposed to.  Is there more to it that I don't know about?  I would hate to lose a wheel or cause a wobble. 

• Member Contributer

Sweet bike! I have always like the RWB models.  Now get her all tuned up and come up to Nelson BC in July to have some fun!

Check it out..........

• Member Contributer

Hi DonovanJM.

After seeing all this I'm a little concerned as to how the bike has been cared for. Do you know its history? Do you have maintenance records? Perhaps a good idea is to Base Line the bikes maintenance e.g. New oil and filter, air filter, coolant flushed, brake and clutch fluid replaced. Have the plugs been replaced? If in doubt fit new ones. At this mileage keep an ear listening for any timing chain chatter generally at idle, CCT's can start to cause issues around this mileage. Hope the bike gives you many miles of VFR enjoyment. My 2007 RWB was a great bike, loved it. (Staintune Exhausts fitted)

Cheers.

Grum.

VFRstaintunes 001.jpg

No, I don't know it's history.  I have a couple maintenance records from 2012 (I think).  I'll have to check when I get home from work.  I do know the valve clearances were checked but I can't remember what else was done at that time.  I do plan on changing all the fluids and I'll add plugs to the list.   Thank you for the suggestions!

Well, Grumman, I think your worries are well founded.   I changed the oil, brake and clutch fluid and also took off the wheels to get new tires affixed. None of those made the previous owner look good.  Take a look at the pictures. 

The drain plug washer was so crushed that I had to use pliers to hold it still while I unscrewed the bolt from it.  They used RTV to seal it. 

20160701_123911.jpg

20160701_123918.jpg

The brake fluid looked like it probably had never been changed.  This came out of the pcv. 

20160630_221100.jpg

Those two non-matching lug nuts?  Not the correct taper.  Good thing I ordered some already.  They should be here tomorrow. 

20160701_123939.jpg

So not the best start.  I'll get it straightened out.  Plugs and air filter are next. 

• Member Contributer

Hi DonovanJM.

Good to see you are getting the maintenance side of things sorted. Have to say it makes my blood boil when I see crap like this, to remove and replace a sump plug is the simplest of things, screw the thing in all the way by hand then nip it up with a socket, do it that way and you'll never even need to replace a sump plug washer! Some people shouldn't get within arms length to a spanner. I hope the sump drain hole is NOT cross threaded which would explain the use of silastic!!!! Sort out the maintenance bugs and hopefully you'll have a good bike. It's crap like this that makes me shiver at the thought of someone else tampering with my pride and joy.

Cheers.

Grum

Thanks Grum!  I'm slowly getting her sorted.  I changed the oil yesterday and haven't seen a so I'm thinking the threads are good. Spark plugs and air cleaner are next week. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, DonovanJM said:

Thanks Grum!  I'm slowly getting her sorted.  I changed the oil yesterday and haven't seen a so I'm thinking the threads are good. Spark plugs and air cleaner are next week. 

Don't forget the coolant, would imagine that's probably never been replaced. Just for info I've always used Honda Type 2 premixed coolant, it's silicate and borate free and will last for 5 years. If you were able to screw the sump plug in by hand then it's unlikely it's cross threaded and if it doesn't leak you're in business. Good luck with it all.

Cheers.

I forgot to mention that.  I did change the coolant too.  I'm not sure how to tell if that was bad.  It was green still.  The overflow tank looked pretty grimy though. 

Archived