Alternative to riding boots

Vinman

As my work boots get older the leather is getting softer. As a result of this, it's getting harder to get positive up shifts when I ride to work.  It's to the point that I have to shift with the heel on the foot rest to get enough height. I pretty sure it's because the steel toe creates this space above my foot requiring my foot to pivot higher in order to shift. 

Does anyone know of a pad or rigid cover I can strap to the top of the boot to overcome this situation? 

Id rather not have two pair of boots at work.  

Thx

vincent 

• Member Contributer

Steel toed boots... Didn't I read something somewhere about not wearing them on a bike for some reason?  Didn't pay too much attention (obviously), since I don't wear steel toed boots!

Ciao,

3 hours ago, JZH said:

Steel toed boots... Didn't I read something somewhere about not wearing them on a bike for some reason?  Didn't pay too much attention (obviously), since I don't wear steel toed boots!

Ciao,

In my MSF course, they said that the steel can actually cut off your toes in a accident. I don't know if that is the reason you are speaking of, but that is the only thing that comes to mind for me. I've always worn leather motorcycle specific boots though.

I don't think there are any situations that could bend a steel toe cap like that that wouldn't otherwise obliterate your foot, like a car coming to rest with all of its weight on that spot. I've had a pretty heavy piece of equipment on top of mine that didn't even phase them.

• Member Contributer

I have 11 year old Oxtar racing boots with Gore-tex liners.  These boots are comfortable on the track and I've ridden 3000+ in 4 days with them before as well.  I've also hiked several miles in them (yeah for fun).  The best part is they saved my ankle back in 2005.  I was hit from behind on my right side by a BMW R1100S --his front right tire slammed into my right boot pinning it against the bike frame.  Sprained my ankle and poped the Oxtar flexible armor joint apart.   My ankle was sprained, I have a numb spot on the inside right ankle to this day (nerve damage) BUT no broken ankle!!!  All the extra plastic really saved the day.  I have other boots I love for other things (steel toe work shoes, hiking boots, hunting boots et al) but NOTHING would have saved my foot other than the Oxtars.  Also, they keep my feet dry in the rain...100% waterproof and pretty breathable.  Removeable toe sliders for trackdays...

If you gotta wear workboots, leather ones are good.  I wouldn't bother with steel toes myself.  I would get gore-tex though.  And like military style combat boots ones I would lace them up and have a side zip if possible--that way I'm not worried about stashing laces all the time and in and out is a cinch...If you must wear workboots, well everyone has an opinion and a preference...even if it isn't the safest or the best for the job...buy the best ones you can afford.

Matt

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, JZH said:

Ciao,

I also received the same warning about steel toed boots. A situation could arise that bends back the toe part of the boot so severely that the back edge of the steel plate hits the toes firmly enough to so serious damage to the toes, including severing them. I consider that very sensible advice and I can conceive of that happening without much imagination.

I've been wearing Asolo TPS 520 GV Evo Hiking Boots (GoreTex) for about 30 years.

https://www.rei.com/product/896262/asolo-tps-520-gv-evo-hiking-boots-mens

I continued to wear them when I took up mc riding in 2006. They have served me very well as riding boots. They are heavy-duty backpacking boots with thick padded ankles a hard toe (not steel toed) and quite thick and sturdy soles. My foot has been trapped under my bike on several occasions, twice requiring someone else to help raise the bike off my foot. Never any sort of foot injury. And I can wear them all day, all year, in all weather; they fit like slippers after several days of break-in. They are not cheap - retail around $300. But I'd not consider anything else these work so well.

And they last around ten years of quite abusive use.  

8 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

I don't think there are any situations that could bend a steel toe cap like that that wouldn't otherwise obliterate your foot, like a car coming to rest with all of its weight on that spot. I've had a pretty heavy piece of equipment on top of mine that didn't even phase them.

I agree with this thought. If it's enough to crunch the steel toe, what would it do to your plastic toe boot? And your foot? :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

What Maxwell said.  I saw the back of someone's steel toe boot bent back onto his toes when a piece of steel casing (pipe) rolled over it when I worked offshore.  Fortunately for the guy, the bend quit right before going into his toes.  He was really fortunate.  

• Member Contributer

my hiking boots are Asolo Gore-tex boots...my Riding boots are Gore-tex racers...thank god for Armored ankles...

If you can handle laces, and not having real ankle protection (sorry, Asolo's ankles are for walking not for protecting your ankles) you can get away with wearing them, but it it a compromise.  If it is the compromise you like and/or can live with then go for it, try it out and enjoy.  If you're like me, I go the other way...I wear a dedicated purpose built motorcycle boot that won't come off, wont get laces tangled at a stoplight, or elsewhere, and I can use on trackdays, multi-day rides in the rain.  That's my compromise...if I want to hike a mile or two they are fine...otherwise I bring an extra pair of shoes or hiking sandals...thats' the way I roll.  Sounds as if you need to do some research and see what works for you.

Matt

Haymarket, VA

Archived