New tires for the VF1000F

Captain 80s

• Member Contributer

Avon RoadRider.  Repainted wheels and installed a fan switch, fuel cut override switch and a USB port.  

20160611_121157.jpg

20160611_120740.jpg

20160611_121217.jpg

• Member Contributer

TY!  She is looking pretty sweet.  Added a little front preload...  feels really good.  But of course, now I think the left fork seal is imminent.  Gonna try and eak out a few weeks and get some stuff done on the 1000R and try wrapping up the track bike.

Test ride good!  Love the tires so far.

20160611_160348.jpg

• Member Contributer

Great looking bike. Can you tell me more about the fuel cut-off override mod. you did? What was the purpose of this? I ask because I've just picked up a 1000F, and the PO has replaced the original fuel pump with an aftermarket unit, and sometimes I can hear it pumping after the motor is off? I need to go over the wiring eventually, but I'm curious about your mod.

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, CBVFRbikeboy said:

Great looking bike. Can you tell me more about the fuel cut-off override mod. you did? What was the purpose of this? I ask because I've just picked up a 1000F, and the PO has replaced the original fuel pump with an aftermarket unit, and sometimes I can hear it pumping after the motor is off? I need to go over the wiring eventually, but I'm curious about your mod.

cheers

ian

The fuel cut relay allows the pump to run only when the engine is being cranked or running.  it is a safety feature but they are prone to failure.  I wired in a parallel switch so I can override the relay if needed.  It is also very handy when starting the bike after draining the carbs for storage or service.  Just flip the switch and pump up the fuel system, instead of cranking and cranking.

It is very possible yours has been eliminated with a simple jump wire.  There are a few who just jump it as a preventative measure, but I don't want my fuel pump kicking in evertime I have the key on for something.

• 2 weeks later...

For owner of later VF1000F/F2 whit the 18" front wheel, pirelli has some really retro tires now in size that fit, even the rear has to be a 150/70 not a stock 140/80

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/motorcycle/all-tyres/sheet/phantom-sportscomp#/size-range

phantom.jpg

• Member Contributer

They do indeed, and I've waited years for them too. Had to buy a pair from the States because our importer didn't handle them. Paid through the nose for them, then 6 months later Triumph released a new model range, and half of them were on Phantoms as OE, so of course the dealers now need to stock them as OE replacements :-(

phantoms.jpg

On ‎29‎.‎6‎.‎2016 at 3:06 AM, CBVFRbikeboy said:

They do indeed, and I've waited years for them too. Had to buy a pair from the States because our importer didn't handle them. Paid through the nose for them, then 6 months later Triumph released a new model range, and half of them were on Phantoms as OE, so of course the dealers now need to stock them as OE replacements :-(

phantoms.jpg

Thats good looking rubber! Wounder when they will do a re run of the MP7/MP7S, the first Radial tire for motorbikes. The Phantom is a bit to old tread design for the 3rg gen I think...or is it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Your bike looks gorgeous and your wheels really pop.  Now that I've seen how good yours look, I may have to "whiten" mine when it's time for new tires.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, tomk1960 said:

Your bike looks gorgeous and your wheels really pop.  Now that I've seen how good yours look, I may have to "whiten" mine when it's time for new tires.

Thanks!  Years ago I painted just the inner portions of the wheels white but kept the anodized edges.  The anodizing was starting to stain and fade (and it doesn't really polish out...   you have to get through the anodizing) so I decided to blast the edges before removing the old tires and respray the whole wheels.  Very satisfied with the results.

Archived