ABS really necessary?

Vela

Hi guys, I'm new here but planning to stay! ;)

I set my sights on a 2002-2010 model and have a couple I can buy. I'm from Croatia, the economy here was never good so really few VFRs were ever sold here and they're hard to find. I'm not just saying good ones are hard to find, ANY are hard to find. My problem is this:

I'll import a bike from Italy. The one I drove is a red 2002 ABS model with 42000 km on the odometer, but I don't trust the dealer and I think the bike's real mileage is much higher. The clutch sometimes surges at slow start, right cam tensioner is shot and the brakes are not impressive. Turn signal swtch is kinda stuck, but the bike overall state seems ok. 

The second one is black 2003 model without ABS, it has 41000 km and I'm 95% sure it's the true mileage and it also has all three original cases. I haven't tested it yet. 

My last bike was 2005 FZ6S Yamaha and I locked the front wheel a couple of times in cold weather and I don't think I'll ever forget it. 

So my question is: 

Those of you who have ABS on your bikes, did you ever find your selves in a position where you really needed it? What about you guys who don't have ABS? How helpful is this dual brake system on VFR?

Please help me make a good decision. I'd like to keep this bike for a long time. 

Please forgive me for bad grammar. 

• Member Contributer

Welcome, Vela! You have nothing to apologize about, your message was very easy to read.

"Absolutely necessary" is a tough one. For me, the answer is simple: I want/need all the help I can get. For some of my friends here, ABS is optional, for others it is unnecessary. My only trip to the hospital (for myself) related to a motorcycle was the result of locking the front wheel on my '81 GS400.

I've never encountered a situation where I needed ABS on either of my VFRs. But every day I ride a little more comfortably because I know that it's there, just waiting to save me from myself.

• Member Contributer

If you need it, yes.  However it's hard to know if you ever will. I have not  in 5 years of ABS ownership.   That one panic moment when you are hard on the brakes in the wet and you need to swerve slightly to miss the car that just pulled out in front of you - ABS could be priceless.   It's a personal choice.  There are youtube videos of testing ABS bikes in the wet - that might help you make a more informed decision.  Best on whichever you choose. 

• Member Contributer

I have ridden over 250000 miles on motorcycles, all of them wearing a helmet.

I've never needed the helmet (for a safety reason).

Would I ever ride without one?

Welcome by the way. :beer:

There must be other countries you could find a quality used VFR???

I know... You're right. But my problem is that I'd like to keep my bike for a long time and I'd like it to be low mileage when I get it. The red one needs alot of work done to it and it just didn't feel right when I drove it. I can import it from Germany but they're much more expensive there. 

• Member Contributer

Ok. Have you checked other countries? I'm unsure of the procedures you'd have to go through to export/import to Croatia but there are hundreds of VFRs for sale out there and plenty good low mileage examples. If you are budget limited though, that will obviously reduce the numbers, but even so, there are some real bargains. Keep looking!

Bikes are usually cheaper from private sellers too. If you are not confident enough to spot a good one, there are plenty of VFRD members spread over the continent and I'm sure someone with some VFR knowledge would be happy to take a look for you.

• Member Contributer

Hi,   

Have a look here:

https://www.autoscout24.com/results?ctf=1&mmvmk0=31&mmvmd0=57036&ctf=2&pricefrom=250&fregfrom=2003&fregto=2013&powertype=kw&atype=B&ustate=N,U&sort=price

You are unsure about the 1st bike......  it is simple if it smells like shit, it probably is. walk away :-)

Given the choice on otherwise identical bikes like the VFR, I would go with the ABS.   (the ABS model also has/should have a pre-load adjustor for the rear shick)

And that is with 30+ years riding bikes....  

My last three bikes have had ABS and it'd have to be a *very* good deal before I bought a bike without it.  Never needed it in a panic situation but I'm glad it's there (except when I'm trying to pull skids ;)

I REALLY like ABS.   Not intrusive to the ride but there when you need it and one less thing/skill to think about.

I would suspect that if all bikes had ABS there would be a lot less accidents.

Good luck with your search.

I hit manhole cover and felt the ABS kick in - certainly was nice to know it was there.  Only time I ever needed it and I'm glad I got it.  Again, one less thing to worry about.  The road was a bit damp so that could've played a factor.

Both my bikes don't have ABS and I have no plans on selling them just because they don't BUT when and if I ever get a new bike I will definately buy on with ABS.   Riders should still know how to brake smoothly and effectively regardless of ABS.

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, mellowgold said:

.....(except when I'm trying to pull skids ;)

I don't swing that way m8, but thanks for the compliment. :goofy:

I've never had ABS on my bikes.  Never wished I did (so far so good).  But I live in Southern, California, USA.  It rarely ever rains here.  So having ABS has never something that I felt I must have. 

Personally, if I REALLY wanted to be fully covered in an emergency situation, then I would drive my 3,700 pound car.

Slightly off topic, but Croatia has AWESOME motorcycle roads. The ride from Trieste to Rovinge is awesome.

Epic place.  Gorgeous natural parks. And a lot cheaper than Italy too. 

Get the ABS.  (and hopefully you'll never need it.)

• Member Contributer

Have an '02 without ABS and have never worried about it.  If I was looking to buy, and prices were similar with/without, I would get an ABS model, but I don't see it as a deal-breaker.

Guys! Yesterday I payed the advance (or how you call it? So the guy keeps it for me) for a beautiful dark blue 2004 ABS model. :D I'm sooooooo happy now! The bike is in Slovenia in Ljubljana. I'll get it in three weeks when I come back from a tour I have to do. I'm filming along the coast for a british TV company starting tomorrow. The bike has full service history, new plugs, filters oil, brakes, tyres. It's in GREAT condition, drives like a dream. It has LSL raised handlebars, Givi top case and braided brake lines. 44k kms on the clock and it's not an import from Italy so I know the mileage is correct. I'm in love! Cross your fingers everything goes well. ;)

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Vela said:

Guys! Yesterday I payed the advance (or how you call it? So the guy keeps it for me) for a beautiful dark blue 2004 ABS model. :D I'm sooooooo happy now! The bike is in Slovenia in Ljubljana. I'll get it in three weeks when I come back from a tour I have to do. I'm filming along the coast for a british TV company starting tomorrow. The bike has full service history, new plugs, filters oil, brakes, tyres. It's in GREAT condition, drives like a dream. It has LSL raised handlebars, Givi top case and braided brake lines. 44k kms on the clock and it's not an import from Italy so I know the mileage is correct. I'm in love! Cross your fingers everything goes well. ;)

image.jpeg

Wonderful news, and a great looking bike!

In English, the phrase is that I "put down (or paid) a deposit" to hold the bike.

Good luck with the purchase and the ride home!

• Member Contributer

Great choice!  The blue is a beautiful color.  You'll have years of enjoyment with it (and the confidence of having ABS under you as well). 

Give us more pics when you get out riding on it.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Great Score!!!!

And Ljubljana is a lovely city to visit.

At least it is not overrun by Dutch or German tourists like so much of Croatia...

• Member Contributer

A little late to the party, but welcome aboard and you have definitely made the right choice.  Enjoy!

P.S.

I would never own another non-ABS bike.  Unless it's a super cool oldie.

I'll give you a very recent example of why:  Hard on the brakes into the turn, a line of oldish oil intersects my turning line in two places.  I do nothing about it - Just ignore, hoping that the oil is old enough not to matter.  As my front crosses the oil, I feel a momentary buzzing of the ABS.  No slip, no drama.  Didn't even need to replace my undies afterwards.

Congratulations on your VFR!  It sounds like you got a much better bike than you expected.  :smile:  I wanted an ABS-equipped bike when I bought my VFR, but settled for a non-ABS low mileage bike in perfect condition.  My next bike will very likely have ABS though.

You also asked about the linked brakes.  They work very well.  Most of the benefit is in preventing fork dive under hard braking conditions.  Not everyone likes linked brakes, but as a heavier rider, I appreciate all the help I can get in preventing fork dive!

Archived