Hello from Atlanta!

Hey everyone! 

I'm very happy to be here, as I'm a brand new owner of my very own 2000 VFR800! I've owned an '04 Ninja 250 through college and after, and a 1974 Norton 850 roadster that I've taken on quite a few cross country trips over the years. I'm 27, have been riding about a decade now, and FINALLY feel like I've gotten a bike I can grow into and hold onto for years to come. I bought the bike last night and couldn't sleep at all, it was like Christmas eve! It has 14k miles, the paint is not original but is in good condition except for the unsightly dent in the tank (that really isn't a big deal to me, I can fix that later), was well taken care of by the two previous owners, and now will be pampered by its third :) 

Anyway, I don't have too many pals in the motorcycling world at the moment, so I'm really excited to be a part of the community and hopefully meet some cool folks and trade some stories, both here and over at VFRWorld (and any others you'd recommend). Looking forward to meeting y'all!

Peter

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard! Factory paint or not, it looks like a very clean machine, enjoy! 

• Member Contributer

Welcome Lazarus, if you decide to go cross country again make sure to swing by the Rockies. Nice looking VFR, Honda chose a great yellow for 2K. 

On 5/24/2016 at 10:07 AM, wera803 said:

Sounds like you should come up to Franklin, NC for TMAC this weekend. You will meet all kinds of fellow VFR lovers.

I would love to, but unfortunately on my first real ride last night, it developed an oil leak from the K&N filter (which, after googling, I've found quite a few people report issues with those too, so I don't feel so bad or worried).  Got a new filter and oil last night, will change it today, and have a feeling my weekend is going to be spent looking through as much of it as I can to see what else is loose or needs checking.  I'll make it up to one of these though, I'm sure, it sounds like a blast!

On 5/25/2016 at 10:16 PM, Mikey said:

Welcome Lazarus, if you decide to go cross country again make sure to swing by the Rockies. Nice looking VFR, Honda chose a great yellow for 2K. 

Thanks I sure will, I actually have a friend in Denver that I'm hoping to come see soon!

• Member Contributer

Welcome Peter from the south side of Atlanta!  How did the weekend sorting of the bike go?

The weekend went great!  No leaks, the bike ran great, absolutely perfect.  Unfortunately on Tuesday night though, coming home I was trying to squeeze by a car at the edge of the driveway and the front wheel went off the lip of the driveway and into the grass (about a 2 inch drop) and I dropped it on its left side at a pretty slow speed (so many silver linings about this).  Left fender is all scratched up now (but not cracked, thank god), the left turn signal housing got pretty fucked up, but fortunately it didn't screw up the upper cowl, just bashed the signal itself in.  Left footpeg bent back a bit (still totally rideable though), and I broke off the left mirror.  Doh.  Felt like a pretty big idiot after that one.  

I know the saying, riders who have crashed and those who haven't YET, etc etc, and I know my history of bikes and that is that almost invariably, within a month of buying a new vehicle I will do something to scratch or ding it up.  So in that sense I'm happy this happened the way it did and not on the highway or in traffic, and I'm super glad it didn't mess up anything mechanical, just cosmetic, which I can get over.  

The one biggest potential downside is now my left front brake rotor is suspect.  Doesn't look like it got hit directly, but it felt like there might be some slight warpage, which I'll check this weekend.  Found out how expensive rotors are on these VFRs last night....ouch.  Hopefully if that's not a big issue, I'll be back on the road this weekend.  If I have to replace them, then it'll take a few more days.  Patience is a virtue, they say....

An expensive mistake I will not make more than once.  Lesson learned! 

• Member Contributer

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Glad you are ok though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Welcome aboard, Lazarus21. I remember when I had my 5th gen and dropped it in the driveway one night. Didn't drop again until this 6th gen I now have : first a gravel mishap, then an off balance on an incline at the gas station during T-Mac. I am in downtown ATL right beside the new (unnecessary) football stadium. Holla if you want to ride.

• Member Contributer

Let me know if you would like some help in refinishing the spots where it was scratched, I think I may have your color already mixed somewhere.

9 hours ago, wrestler said:

Welcome aboard, Lazarus21. I remember when I had my 5th gen and dropped it in the driveway one night. Didn't drop again until this 6th gen I now have : first a gravel mishap, then an off balance on an incline at the gas station during T-Mac. I am in downtown ATL right beside the new (unnecessary) football stadium. Holla if you want to ride.

A riding buddy would be great, I've been meaning to get out and do a longer trip but just haven't been able just yet.  Hopefully next weekend?  We'll have to see.  I will hit you up soon though for sure! 

1 hour ago, Ultimatevfr said:

Let me know if you would like some help in refinishing the spots where it was scratched, I think I may have your color already mixed somewhere.

That would be amazing!  I have a bunch of little bits coming in the mail soon that I'm waiting on before I put the plastics back on, but I would love to take you up on that once I do!

So, for a quick update if anyone cares, I did knock my rotors out about 0.08 (and tried the carrier-bending method mentioned elsewhere here as much as I could stand), but given my resources I ended up buying a straight set with 30k miles on them off of ebay.  I reinstalled those with my dad's help the other day, and they feel great now.  I rode the bike in to work today and it's running really well.  Now I'm just waiting for all of the nuts and bolts to come in the mail so I can mount the luggage racks and put it totally back together again.  It sure looks good naked though....

Don't just toss the old rotors. If they are still in decent shape, Will's rim repair will straighten them for cheap. I sent a set to him with a bent wheel once and he fixed me right up.

On 6/11/2016 at 6:49 AM, wera803 said:

Don't just toss the old rotors. If they are still in decent shape, Will's rim repair will straighten them for cheap. I sent a set to him with a bent wheel once and he fixed me right up.

You read my mind!  I just didn't mention it because I figured no one cared, but my plan is exactly that.  Keep them until I can find someone to straighten them for me, and have them as spares or a set I can sell later on, etc.  I'll sure hit you up for Will's contact info when I'm ready to do that!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived