Wolf Pen Gap (Hwy 180)

Bent

• Member Contributer

I'm planning possible routes to Franklin, NC from my pad.  

Anyone know the current condition of Wolf Pen Gap (Hwy 180) from Suches, Ga., to Macedonia Ga.?

What other road(s) in W. NC does it compare to?  I hear it's rather twisty which is good but how twisty?  What is the road surface like right now?   It's one of the few roads I haven't ridden in N. Ga. and W. NC

Thank you very much. 

Its good. Really twisty in spots and it was repaved last year I think. Gets narrow in spots especially with bicyclists taking up half of your lane. Also has some pretty good elevation changes.

If you haven't been on it, add it to your list. I've ridden it hundreds of times. I prefer going from 129 to 60 over going the opposite way.

• Member Contributer

Thank you very much.  That was helpful.  Since I will be wanting to make time, I will likely just put 180 on my list.  

I hit it last year at Tmac, it was great. It's tight and technical for the most part, I felt it was a lot like 226a, or NC80. 

I can't comment on road conditions this year but last year it was fine. 

Todd Remillard has a video of us on it last year floating around somewhere...

-PRB

• Member Contributer

Like most of the roads in the area you need to keep a sharp eye on the road surface as WPG has the occasional gravel. It is in great shape this year after the mild winter. I have ridden it 3 times this year and it has been better every subsequent run.

• Member Contributer

I went off at Wolf Pen Gap in 2006 at the spot where the big yellow left-hand arrows signs are when heading to 60.  I fell 100 feet and fractured my right tibia. Lucky to be alive. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Kingmdm said:

I went off at Wolf Pen Gap in 2006 at the spot where the big yellow left-hand arrows signs are when heading to 60.  I fell 100 feet and fractured my right tibia. Lucky to be alive. 

One of the reasons I asked is that a few years ago, I started down this road before it was repaved and turned around it was looking so tight and the surface sucked so bad.  I could have ridden it but not in the time I had allotted to get home.  I can see where it would be a good place to get hurt.  Sorry for your mishap.  

• Member Contributer

180 is one of those roads that demands respect.  Ride it when you are in the "zone" for maximum enjoyment. 

On 5/3/2016 at 6:23 PM, Bent said:

I'm planning possible routes to Franklin, NC from my pad.  

Anyone know the current condition of Wolf Pen Gap (Hwy 180) from Suches, Ga., to Macedonia Ga.?

What other road(s) in W. NC does it compare to?  I hear it's rather twisty which is good but how twisty?  What is the road surface like right now?   It's one of the few roads I haven't ridden in N. Ga. and W. NC

Thank you very much. 

It was repaved within the last year or two and so is better then it has been in a decade!

Awesome, but do ride it with respect. 

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Baileyrock said:

It was repaved within the last year or two and so is better then it has been in a decade!

Awesome, but do ride it with respect. 

Thank you everyone for the good input.  So, does that mean keep it under 80, BR?  I will put it on my "to do" list.  Shouldn't be as dangerous as The Gap for insane traffic, I hope.....

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I did ride 180 last week and, definitely, it needs to be ridden with respect.  In spite of telling myself I would never again ride the zoo called "Deals Gap", I did and it is easy compared to 180 and other places I rode.  I think it's easier to get hurt on Hwy. 28 from Warwoman to Highlands than on the Gap or 180.  People are getting more insane.  Last weeks trip made me completely re-think where and when I will ride in the future.  After not having a bike for approx. 5 years, then getting back on the roads, drivers and other riders have raised the danger factor exponentially.  Driving/riding behavior is so bad today I don't know how to describe it other than just take your chances when you get out on your bike.  It's very disappointing to say the least.      

If you don't want to get in over your head, you will really love the 25mph speed limit on Wolf Pen Gap.

That is just a bonus when riding. It makes it really easy to collect a driving award from Union County, GA... County full inbred of jerks!

Archived