European Vacation Starting At Silverstone Motogp

mlwestoriginal

Hello Europe!

The wife and I are going to spend a couple of weeks vacationing in Europe and we will begin our adventure at the Silverstone MotoGP.

We've never been to Europe and we'd really like, if nothing else, to avoid the worst of the tourist traps and maybe glean a bit of wisdom from fellow motorcyclists. I've been riding for 50 years now and have met a lot of cool people over the years and I'd like to meet more while in Europe.

Any suggestions?

My stable is down to one 2002 VFR and a 1975 Honda Elsinore 125 MT - the street legal version.

• Member Contributer

Hi. Is this a riding holiday and I guess yr after the best roads?

You have 2 real choices....stay in the UK/Ireland and explore some really excellent roads (especially Scotland & Wales) or get over to the continent of Europe and ride theirs. Either way a lot of miles particularly to get from Silverstone to the parts of Europe worth visiting.

Does it have to be Silverstone? It's the San Marino GP the following weekend and you'd be plumb in the middle of Italy which is a great starting point to head north west from.

Just a thought.

There will be plenty of opinion about what to do and whatever you decide, enjoy! We're off to NZ for a month Feb 17. :cheerleader::beer:

• Member Contributer

I've never been to Silverstone, but I've heard that the spectators are kept quite far from the track, so I haven't been in a rush to visit before the GP heads over to Wales in a couple of years (allegedly--they have had some trouble actually building the track!)

The question I would have is where are you ending your vacation? Back in the UK means you can't go too far south (especially if you're riding--are you?), but if you're flying out of Frankfurt, for example, you have a lot more flexibility. OTOH, you can't realistically "open-jaw" the flights and rent a bike, as they usually have to be returned to the same place you got them.

There is no limit to what you can see and do in Europe, so your constraints are probably related to time, money, weather and bike/no bike. But I would caution you about trying to see "too much" in one go. A vacation is supposed to be relaxing, isn't it? :happy:

Ciao,

Thanks for the replies Skids and JZH - I'm sorry to say it won't be a riding vacation but at least it's starts off hanging around a MotoGP event.

Right now the plan is to spend 4 nights in London (after Silverstone), then another 3 nights in Paris and eventually (still have another six or seven days) fly home from Frankfurt.

I agree with you JZH about trying to cram too many activities into each day and we have the luxury, since neither of us have ever been to the UK or France, that most everything will be new and exciting. We're looking online and we'll likely do the usual tourist stuff but it's amazing what you can discover simply by asking the locals what to avoid and what's a must see.

Ride safe everyone.

Archived