First Tour And First Solo Ride

ChiefGodzilla

So as the title says I am looking into taking a tour. So far I have a rough idea, a week long trip...

As a former BoyScout I miss the outdoors. So camping is not a problem, rain, cold and any other 'misery' just adds to the enjoyment. a packing list has been branded into my brain, though adding tools and some parts will be needed.

Will normal riding gear suffice? I have riding jeans and a textile jacket that saved me on my first lowside. Though I do have a leather that is a bit stuffy for mild wheather.

My main question would be. What areas should I vist? Any roads that are a must ride for a newling, or sights that are a must see while on a motorcycle?

Thank in advance I hope to make this a epic journey!!

• Member Contributer

Cycling underwear.....

Camp 2 nights, 1 night hotel and then see if you'd like to camp the remaining days as well :-)

• Member Contributer

I have ridden US191 from southern Utah (Bluff) to northern Wyoming (Yellowstone NP). With a few miles of detours along the way. Fabulous road: mucho curvy, extremely scenic with lots of camping opportunities along the way.

I would do a few quick weekend trips to test your load out and refine the gear you want to take if you've never done it before.

Here's my list of gear:

Marine Bag (sits between me and my top trunk):

- Tent

- Thermorest Mattress

- Camp Pillow

- Sleeping Bag

- Camp Chair

- Cooking Gear

- Garbage Bag (put your sleeping bag in it if it's raining so it won't get wet from the tent or taking it outside while packing up the tent)

Top Case (contains all my tools etc)

- 12V DC Air Compressor

- Tire Repair Kit

- 12V Solar Panel

- Extension Cord (for camp)

- Battery Tender

- Tools

- Extra Visor

- Extra Gloves

- Rain Gear (on top)

- Fire starting gear / small hatchet

Panniers

- All clothing

- Tablet

- Toiletries

Tank Bag

- GPS

- Wallet

- Locks

- Cellular

- Charging Cables

- Microfibre Cloth

- Visor Cleaning Spray

- Camera

- Maps / Compass (I use maps in the clear top map pocket more than the GPS)

I take a lot of other effects as well - but those are the ones that typically personal preferences / choices and non essential

As for an extended trip ... being in Texas you have a lot of choices ... I'd start with a loop.

Black Hills / Bad Lands in South Dakota

Devils Tower in Wyoming

Beartooth Pass in Wyoming

... then head down to Phoenix, AZ and back to Texas if you have time ... :)

I'll actually be heading to Black Hills, SD this coming summer, as well as Nelson, BC ... both on bike.

thanks for the site lookinghard

also that is a lot of gear, are panniers necessary? I do not have any though I've seen some good looking ones at the local store.

I was going to see if I could get away with a full sized camping back pack and a rigged top case, maybe buy a small tank bag as well

I was going to see if I could get away with a full sized camping back pack and a rigged top case, maybe buy a small tank bag as well

I guess it depends on how light you want to travel, I personally couldn't imagine a long trip without them.

I hate backpacks for a variety of reasons - they are hard on your back and cause you to fatigue quicker. This means shorter travel days and stops as you body has to constantly work against any buffeting and just the weight of the pack itself.

Once you get a good set of luggage, it's hard to imagine 'roughing it' with makeshift luggage.

Here's a photo of my old '02 loaded it from this past summer in Michigan's U.P. (I have a '02 Silver w/ABS now ... I was in a head-on collision with a semi truck at the end of that trip in Wisconsin)

Van Riper State Park (Michigan) - August 2015

Only because I didn't see it mentioned... if you are going to be doing any long riding days or full blown touring, get some compression undergarments with wicking material. That coupled with some Anti-Monkey Butt powder will increase your comfort level by a wide margin!

http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Monkey-Powder-Anti-Friction-Sweat-Absorber/dp/B0006B08O6

Chain lube everyday on pulling in to camp, while chain is hot.

Maps, proper ones on paper in case technology fails.

Basic first aid kit (unless you're a healthcare professional like me then you'll have a more advanced one).

Bandana or neck buff... This part of our body usually goes unprotected from wind, cold, stones...

Proper motorcycle-riding rain gear.

Head lantern (so your hands are free).

Spare bulbs for all lights on the bike.

12V charging options installed on the bike (cigarette lighter and USB style).

I would use side hardbags (panniers), topcase and tankbag. Take elastic net to strap stuff to passenger seat as well.

Condoms and a bottle of Cointreau.

thanks for the site lookinghard

also that is a lot of gear, are panniers necessary? I do not have any though I've seen some good looking ones at the local store.

On my old Suzuki V-Strom i used to tie a normal hiking backpack along the length of the rear seat and tail. There was not enough room then for a Top Case, but it worked fine. The tent was strapped to the bottom of the rucksack, just like it would have done if you were hiking. But rather strap the rucksack to the bike rather than wear it

The good thing about the VFR is that it is easy to load side cases, or soft throw over bags - which are quite cheap. Then a roll bag above that. That gives plenty of carrying capacity.

I have also found that the difference in packing size is not relative to the amount of time - that is a week camping requires essentially the same amount of stuff as a two or even three week camping trip. The big difference is between trips staying only in Motels, versus camping trips.

Ah yes, the headlamp is also in my gear list and really handy - though I typically don't ride through the night.

For more space, use giant ZipLock Spacesaver bags. You'll be amazed at how tightly your pillow, sleeping bag, and clothing compress without any air in them!!!

I pictured the head lantern involved as well!

- now you just need female company to go with the condoms and Cointreau (he is after all a health care professional!)

• Member Contributer

Do not be too ambitious on your first trip particularly with regard to big mileage. Look for twisty roads out of Texas. Loads of threads to read on possible roads and gear to use. The most important thing to do is to actually do IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Believe me you learn something new on every tour or worse relive something you already should have known.

I sort of wrote up some of my VFR tour experiences and lessons learned on this thread.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78484-v4s-to-utah-and-the-north-rim/

VFR touring............YEA!

med_gallery_2144_6521_1712190.jpg

I use soft saddle bags I got for free and a 20 dollar duffle bag from REI. The duffle is giant, and holds all my camping gear. Not water proof, but I'm in CA, so not an issue. I also have a magnetic tank bag.

post-23737-0-49297500-1452035590.jpg

For some reason my camera added beer goggles to this photo. She looks doesn't look that good in person. Haha.

• Member Contributer

1210-sbkp-09-z+tail-of-the-dragon+map.jp

The best road you will ever ride !!!!

Probably a dumb question but is that 11.1 miles total length or do those numbers mean something else?

• Member Contributer

A very nice road in NC indeed,

as long as you donot hit traffic like the Mini Cooper (replace with any brand make model) Owners Club of Amerika..... :goofy:

Archived