First Tour And First Solo Ride

ChiefGodzilla

• Member Contributer

1210-sbkp-09-z+tail-of-the-dragon+map.jp

The best road you will ever ride !!!!

Probably a dumb question but is that 11.1 miles total length or do those numbers mean something else?

That's the total length in miles .

Or you can ride Florida.

florida%20t-shirt-closeup.JPG

• Member Contributer

Some good posts here regarding what to bring. I would second Auspanglish's recommendation to bring a neck gaiter, its the first thing I toss in my tank bag when I head out for a long trip. Some minor things I did not see mentioned that would be helpful.

1. A small voltmeter added to your tools. 95% of all problems I've ever experienced on the road were electrical.

2. A service manual. Good to have in general and helpful when a wiring diagram is needed.

3. Spare set of gloves. Nice to swap out if you ride in the rain.

This is my 97 loaded up in 2013 when I was out west for 3 weeks. The saddlebags on one side held my one man tent and sleeping bag, the other side was clothes,shoes, computer and an atlas. The tail bag was tools, service manual, spares (lights, fuses, etc.) the tank bag was spare visor and gloves, phone and whatever else.

gallery_19876_6696_1376466.jpg

What part of Texas are you in? I'm out of Austin and a quick ride to Bastrop was a great little day trip for me. Bastrop state park road 1 was a nice beginner lowish speeds fun time. When it warms up i'd like to make a quick overnighter there and do some fishing while i'm at it.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/832/Texas/Bastrop-Park-Road-1.html

Yeah i'm not really sure since i don't go north of there much, i did do the talimena scenic road once and it was pretty cool though.

Yeah it isn't the most exciting twisties or anything, but great views and plenty of stop offs to enjoy them. I had a blast in my old supra on the way to the tail of the dragon. Nice change of scenery compared to super boring Austin roads with no hills to speak of. Just south/west of Austin there are a ton of great hill country roads though, all around the Wimberly area and such.

http://www.talimenascenicdrive.com/

AvWYIAYh.jpg

• 1 month later...

If you get to NC then plan on staying a night or two at http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/

They have small "cabin"s that work well for sleeping and the price is about $45 or $15 to camp. They have clean bathrooms and you can do laundry if you need to. Depending on when you plan on being there they serve breakfast and dinner, pretty good homestyle food at reasonable prices. Phil Johnson is a great guy and a serious rider.

If you're in NC you must do the dragon but almost any direction you go from the BRMC is good roads and Waynesville is good for picking up those things you wished you'd packed or something for the SO. Avoid the dragon on weekends, you've been warned.

Archived