New To Me 86 Vfr700

atx

A new carb bowl came in thanks to Joe and i finished putting it all back together, hoping to leak down test it this week off the bike over a bin so i don't go through the trouble of mounting it only to find out i have a leak somewhere... The ultra sonic cleaner with some purple power worked wonders. No more heat on carb parts, learned my lesson :P

ojdUtUTh.jpg

I got the rear brakes all done up, new seals all around, master rebuild, ss line. I had never used thread sealant before, wow what a difference that made in making bleeding easy as pie. Side note, the rear pads are different than the fronts. In the stash of parts that came with the bike there were 3 sets of pads, all the same, so silly me i assumed the rears were the same. Spent a solid 10 minutes trying to fit em in the calipers before comparing them to the old ones. Doh

iiLkrHYh.jpg

Front calipers are done, still working on redoing the master cylinder window before finishing it all up though. New fork seals came in, so i might actually do those and fill with fresh fluid before finishing up the front brakes, since they have to come off and get hung out of the way to do the forks... Any idea what sort of ATF is best to use? Some day i may end up upgrading the suspension all around, but for now i'd like to drive it as my uncle did for so many years and just get some miles on it. That way i can appreciate it all the more if i do upgrade.

jG5wu3Jh.jpg

Took the 96 VFR and a buddy's Versys to Bastrop state park which is pretty close for a quick ride, fun times. Have a corbin seat and beetlebags coming, plan on using it for long distance and using the 86 on short trips until it can be trusted for the longer ones...

kt6L0Cch.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This thing is getting there little by little. The epoxy on the carb seems to be ok, worked well for a test startup anyway. A few more parts are needed before i can take her out for a spin, but it is getting soooo close.

• 2 months later...

I've been busy busy with life, but i managed to get the gas tank all cleaned up finally. Metal rescue worked wonders, got the advice from a friend who dealt with it himself. Little pricey, but worth it to me since i can reuse it. Full album with details on the process: http://imgur.com/a/GbmSV

This is what was strained out of it:

sQR8mXEh.jpg

Forgot how good it looks with the tank on...

pAieUroh.jpg

I managed to spring a leak on the fuel selector switch while putting gas in it and spilled it all over the damn bike, startup will have to wait until i'm sure it won't burst into flames. I ended up jumpering the fuel pump and attaching a long hose to the output leading to a gas can to drain it enough to swap out the petcock. The triple olympic ring looking gasket for the switch is unavailable by itself, luckily i had sprung for a new one just in case mine ended up leaking. I had the old one mounted while i was blasting it out with the hose and filling it with water and it never leaked. It of course waited until the tank was securely mounted and about 3 gallons full at that point haha

I had a great time at MotoGP last weekend, the 96 got some compliments while i was there. Hopefully the 86 is out there with me next year. Went with a couple VFR buddies most of the time, had a blast.

mCDZXlMh.jpg

xH2H3i3h.jpg

Full album of MotoGP if you are into that: http://imgur.com/a/HdjFm

Oooop finally got her running out of her own tank, no more IV drip from a temporary gas can.

I can't see the pics here at work, but it sounds like your carbs were in similar shape to mine when I got my bike. Mine had set for 19 years under a cover. Apparently with a full tank of gas when they parked it. I ended up doing the unthinkable..I pulled everything apart...all four carbs off of the plenum, every screw apart, and it took about three weeks of soaking (couldn't find the old parts dip here in california) for an hour or two every night to finish the job and get everything back together. Worth every minute :cool:

As far as the petcock gasket, I found the same issue with the gasket. I figured if the gasket was leaking and the tank looked as bad as it did, a replacement might be worth it. $35 from Partzilla, totally worth the peace of mind.

BTW, I took a different approach when re-installing the carbs. With everything assembled I wiped a little oil on the boots (VFR World tip) and set them at an angle (not seated on the intake ports). Then I set the carb/plenum assembly on the boots. They are very stiff so, with the bike on a front tire chock and a rear track stand I had my son step on the plenum. Not enough umph. So I climbed up and slowly put pressure across the center of the plenum. It was so smooth, I didn't even feel them slip into place.

Wow that is a brave approach. Luckily i had new carb boots so they were flexible enough to pop in place without much weight being put on em. Agreed on the $35 piece of mind, when i'm doing highway speeds leaned over a tank of flammable gas that is on top of an internal combustion engine i don't want any leaks to worry about.

I found a pretty good guide on syncing old carbs for magnas, not sure if i want to follow this or just buy a motion pro. Either way i plan on putting some fresh NGK's on before i do it, any other tune up things i should knock out first?

http://v4musclebike.com/articles/magnandy/Andy's%20Manometer%20and%20Carb%20Synch.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0411-Syncpro-Carburetor/dp/B000K7JHWA/ref=sr_1_1?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1461055718&sr=8-1&keywords=Carburetor+sync&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

I could also DIY the gauges and buy adapters that are the correct m5x0.8 thread pitch for 10 bucks. My 96 vfr has nipples already while this ole girl has the ports plugged with screws. Ohhhh i guess i could just yank them off the 96 and put em on the 86 for syncing, the thread pitch is the same. Looks like the oem 96 parts are $2.60 for the nipple, and $.95 for the washer, what is the world coming to when OEM honda parts are cheaper than alternatives :P

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0013-Carburetor-Adapter/dp/B000OO4PVM/ref=pd_sim_263_10?ie=UTF8&dpID=41iuUNHndIL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1Q0ZXPBA68QK81710FTJ

l2QvHyX.png

• 4 weeks later...

Made a ton of great progress, then a step back, and now more progress. I synced the carbs pretty well with a DIY manometer that worked well on my 96 while i was it... No video of it in action on the 86, but here is my ghetto fabulous setup in action on the 96.

Then it started being slow to return to idle, so i pulled the carbs off and back apart. The first time i never pulled out the low speed needles, so i did that and cleaned those ports and replaced the O rings. The only thing i have not gotten into at this point is the choke system. I figure i'm so adept at yanking the carbs and cleaning them that if i do end up having issues with the choke it'll be no problem. It was cleaned the first time when dipping the carbs by opening the choke and blasting it out, and again this time with some more carb cleaner, so hopefully it is good to go for awhile. Two of the low speed jets had some crud in em, so that may have been my issue. I also reset the float height, my settings were off. Synced them again and now i'm doing the last minute things for a test ride. She runs like a dang top now though. Lovin it.

I also flushed the coolant out and it was all sorts of gross and rusty. I used MACS 1500 from napa to help flush it out.

http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/MCR1500/

The old coolant went to a pan and will be disposed of, put in half of this bottle of stuff and filled the rest with water and idled it for 15 minutes, then pulled the drain on the water pump and the front 2 cylinders and drained that. Pushed it out in the yard and filled with water and idled a bit, drained the rusty water out. Then just left the drains out and ran water through it until it came out clear. This new OEM cap i got is black, black is faster right?

w78AOvI.jpg?1

OrGXbJB.jpg

I ended up with dog shit on the tires, had to spray off the bike before rolling it back in garage, what a mess :P

The fan would not come on and it overheated a bit on me while syncing, so found the only compatible one i could locally and tossed it in with some wiring and connectors i had on hand, don't hassle me about the red wires for ground i can fix it later haha. This is a slightly lower temp than stock, if that gives me any trouble i'll either switch to a lower thermostat or an oem temp range switch. 100+ degree temps are the norm here in the summer.

zaIJunT.jpg

Anyone come across this upgrade to nc30 vfr400r radiators? I saw it on an fb post but not sure how much of an upgrade it would be. Will roll with what i have for now, but i'm all about learning options.

JWTcsBw.jpg

I don't think there are any fluids left to change out on this puppy finally. I've got the tail and seat mounted, put the grips on, and hopefully taking it for an up the street and back shake down if the rain will quit...

Finally got her all back together, quick time lapse of the final assembly. I torqued damn near everything i could get my hands on, and marked the fasteners and the where it mates to the body with a paint pen so i can quickly tell if something is backing out on me.

I tried to save all the honda parts bags during the resto. There were tons of off brand parts that came in weird packages not shown, and there are a few other things i need to install. I have not added up the costs, probably better if i don't do that...

tWI7Vl9.jpg

Got it inspected at a great shop up the road from me, they prolly don't see many Hondas i bet.

yEceXK8.jpg

Next stop was the tax office to get it all legal beagle, was inside maybe 45 minutes and got an offer tucked in the handlebars. Hell of a compliment, or that's how i take it anyway.

iBbria5.jpg

4VffmpP.jpg

There are still a few things left to do, but i'm just happy to be riding around on this old machine and enjoying it. I need to do yoga or something to get comfy on this thing, i feel like a pretzel when i get off of it. The oem seat is high on my to do list, i want to get another to put a grippier cover on i think. I wear mesh over pants and slip and slide all over the place on the stock seat cover.

• Member Contributer

Well done and enjoy!!  Do not add it all up, that is what I do with my VF too...

Instead of yoga, I suggest road cycling.

HMMM a red 4th gen and and earlier RWB...  where have I seen THAT before????

PA319713.JPG

I really need to line mine up for a group picture, but maybe i won't do it at a playground hehehe. I think the 86 vfr and my 84 supra would look cool next to each other too.

I used to bicycle quite a bit, though i haven't much since i got into motorcycles. I need to make more time for it and see if it helps me out.

I really like the RWB 1986 VFR750/700F! Great color!, round clocks!

Nice bike you have!

• 1 month later...

Still loving it, got some fresh mirrors to adapt to it but here is a little update about why i do walk arounds before i hop on:
zryCGDxh.jpg
FTnr6eJh.jpg

Bought another set of chain adjusters/plates from ebay for all of 30 shipped, looks like mine are not lock nuts. The left side was barely tight and i just torqued things a few weeks ago. Swapped it to a lock nut as well and called it good.
0q6gsXGh.jpg

I swear i painted the old bolts, but they fell off in one ride so fat lot of good that did hehe
3r9MxXph.jpg

Archived