CornerCarver

• Member Contributer

It is pronounced FYOO SAR but what is it?

I have been following the development of FUSAR for more than a year. It is a game changer. Click on the link below to watch some videos of the capabilities of the product then click back to VFRD.

http://www.fusar.com/

I've already pre-ordered my full smart helmet kit on their Indiegogo page, a rewards based crowd-funding portal that they launched on Tuesday.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fusar-mohawk-make-any-helmet-smart/x/12782519#/

Although they hit their initial fundraising goal on their first day, VFRD members have the opportunity to save 25-45% off of the full price of the product!

How does it work?

Click through at the Indiegogo link above. Look down the right side of the page and see the featured $299 Smart Helmet Kit (early bird special). We will create a group buy for this product. At the single unit $299 you are saving 45%. If we get 5 buyers committed and paid the cost is less. 5 x $299 = $1,495 but that creates what they call a Wolfpack kit and the net price for 5 is $1,199.00 bringing the cost per person to $239.80! All prices are plus shipping.

What if we get to 10 committed to purchase? That becomes a dealer pack at $2,099.00 and a net of $209.90 each!

When you see this kit at your local parts/equipment supply in the fall of 2016, each kit will retail for $549 each and you will wish you had known about it earlier.

To reiterate, I am not affiliated with FUSAR but think this is a game changer. It is interuptive technology that Sena, Scala, GoPro even Garmin will have to scramble to compete with.

PM me if you have any questions you don't want to post here.

CornerCarver

EDIT-

We have now reached the 10 unit paid order and have had a special link set up for VFRD members to access that will allow all orders moving forward to be placed at the already achieved sicount of $210 each.

Follow the link set up by Ryan Shearman of FUSAR for VFRD members below.

"Sounds good to me. I've gone ahead and created a direct contribution link. Anyone that has been a member on vfrdiscussion for longer than me is eligible to use it. Indiegogo does not support anything but full dollar amounts, so this link will check you out for $210. Please add your name to the group buy list if you use this link.

http://bit.ly/VFR-GROUP-BUY

In for Group Buy
1-5 CornerCarver - Keith PAID
6-7 gmtech94 PAID
8-9 Rush2112 - Russ PAID

10 adeyren PAID "

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

This is really interesting. The hand grip mounted switch is very cool. Look at what you want and capture or video it.

I watched the video and looked through all the material on the link (I think . . . I'll check again), but I didn't see anything mentioning any type of subscription (I'm thinking like SPOT). Is it correct that the price is for the unit, and it synchs to a smart phone via an app so the only ongoing charges are for the phone's data plan? I agree that this could really disrupt the competition. GoPro stock has already been cratering . . .

• Member Contributer

This is really interesting. The hand grip mounted switch is very cool. Look at what you want and capture or video it.

I watched the video and looked through all the material on the link (I think . . . I'll check again), but I didn't see anything mentioning any type of subscription (I'm thinking like SPOT). Is it correct that the price is for the unit, and it synchs to a smart phone via an app so the only ongoing charges are for the phone's data plan? I agree that this could really disrupt the competition. GoPro stock has already been cratering . . .

That is how I read it as well. Cloud based chat via bluetooth at any distance.

Some clown suggest these could be good so I bought one.

Sounds great and see how it works next year.

Hopefully I can hack your secret test footage and figure out what makes you so smooth in the mountains. :-)

Since the major retailer came in and completed the 30 day funding goal at the end of day one FUSAR have raised the bar and promise an upgraded image sensor (16mp v 12mp ) if they hit $250k in funding before the end of the 30 day campaign.

• Member Contributer

I've just e-mailed the owner with a couple of questions.

I realise you can chat using this system but how would it work with my wife and her Sena SMH-10? And I use in-ear speakers (Westone UM1s) and would not want to go back to in-helmet speakers so was asking about compatibility.

Should probably have asked whether all the features would work in the UK/Europe too.

I'll await his reply but am definitely interested.

edit: shall also ask what happens when you have no phone/data signal....there are still plenty of places like that.

• Member Contributer

You have to have cell coverage in order to "push to talk". Where I ride no cell coverage BUT I do like the blue tooth to smart phone app.

So you'd lose intercom with your pillion when outside cell coverage???

• Member Contributer

My big thing is that they don't have a working model. I'll believe it when I see it. Too many of these crowdfunded startups go bust or deliver mediocre goods.

Would also mean I'd have to get a smartphone, and that's never going to happen.

The other interesting thing was that they are working with Flextronics. I did a good chunk of work for them a couple years ago. Wonder if they know anything about this.

• Member Contributer

My big thing is that they don't have a working model. I'll believe it when I see it. Too many of these crowdfunded startups go bust or deliver mediocre goods.

The other interesting thing was that they are working with Flextronics. I did a good chunk of work for them a couple years ago. Wonder if they know anything about this.

Seriously? You guys are putting money down on something that doesn't even exist yet? Don't forget about that drone company that just went under with $3.5 million of kickstarter funds.

I'm a little disappointed in the short predicted battery life of just over two hours if i remember correctly. It can be wired for power, but that kind of beat the idea of wireless.

Good enough for track days though.

Seriously? You guys are putting money down on something that doesn't even exist yet? Don't forget about that drone company that just went under with $3.5 million of kickstarter funds.

Hey guys - Ryan Shearman, founder of Fusar, checking in here to provide some clarity.

We do have numerous working units already, and all of our launch features are currently functional. We've gone through three generations of prototypes and will be receiving our first pre-production samples from our manufacturing partners close to the end of this year. Our team is comprised of experienced product developers with proven track records of delivering world class products.

If you're in the NYC area, we encourage your to come visit us at the International Motorcycle Show at the Javitz Center in NYC from December 11-13, 2015. We'll be demoing all weekend.

I'm a little disappointed in the short predicted battery life of just over two hours if i remember correctly. It can be wired for power, but that kind of beat the idea of wireless.

With only the basic features enabled, we've seen Mohawk run for over 4 hours on a single charge. Our headset will get up to 10 hours of use, and the remote controls get up to 1 year of use. Mohawk can be plugged in if your motorcycle/ATV/snowmobile has onboard power. This is the ideal configuration for full-day use.

You have to have cell coverage in order to "push to talk". Where I ride no cell coverage BUT I do like the blue tooth to smart phone app.

So you'd lose intercom with your pillion when outside cell coverage???

Yep .

No, our BT headset also supports direct peer-to-peer connectivity, so you do not lose connection when outside of cell coverage.

With only the basic features enabled, we've seen Mohawk run for over 4 hours on a single charge. Our headset will get up to 10 hours of use, and the remote controls get up to 1 year of use. Mohawk can be plugged in if your motorcycle/ATV/snowmobile has onboard power. This is the ideal configuration for full-day use.

Hey Ryan, thanks for joining us here at VFRD and chiming in on your product. :beer:

My avg. ride is 4-6 hrs of twisties now and longer as weather gets nicer and I have been updating all devices on the bike to get ride of all cables & wires attached to me. Wireless Scala headset, Garmin Bluetooth and H.A.R.D device for my V1 radar detector so the idea of Plugging back in is Not high on my list, but I am attracted to your system.

After reading the advertising " the Mohawk is a device that turns any helmet into a smart helmet. It's an action camera, communications system, navigation unit, and emergency response system all rolled into one - and it's available for pre-order for just $199." I assumed that this would include the headset in order to be a "communications system", but maybe I misunderstood.

Thanks again for coming to VFRD.

BR

• Member Contributer

Like I said, I am not working for FUSAR but have been following them for more than a year. I applied to be one of the beta test group. I have used just about every communication, navigation, camera, or audio input device made over the past two decades.

On a shelf in my garage right now I have two Autocomm systems that I removed from my VFR to buy a Chatterbox system 8-9 years ago. The Autocomms are still the best at rider to passenger comms. The Chatterbox was removed within 40 miles as they are functionally obsolete above 35-40 MPH.

I was an early adopter of Scala's (I have four G4's and 2 G9 currently gathering dust if anyone wants to play with those) and moved over to a pair of Sena 20s units to lead the Ducati demo rides in GA this summer. Better than Scala but not quite there yet.

I currently have a couple of Garmoin Zumo's (550 and 665) for all the good they do me sometimes. I would testify in court that there is no possible way that any employee of either Scala or Garmin actually rides a motorcycle for anything other than a commute. The stupidy of their default settings coupled with the inability to switch off features like "radio" astound me. I can be having an innocuous conversation and then hear the Scala say in that voice "radio on" and just want to ram my bike into a bridge abutment.

I have a Valentine1 that I don't use on the bike as much anymore but have a Sony action cam, a GoPro HD and a Countor HD cam as well that I hauled to Europe for my MotoGP trip last fall.

I get that many are not early adopters and I lean more cutting edge than bleeding edge but I really think that a modular group of accessories made by a manufacturer who actually rides and uses the gear can replace three or four items that I normally haul on trips and simplify the vast assortment of charging connections and usb cables that never seem to be the one I am looking for.

Like BailyRock I see the low battery life a limiting factor in the first gen production units and am weighing the need to wire something to a charging cable while riding versus not having to wade through a separate bag of cables and plugs when I get to the hotel.

I am blessed to be able to ride frequently and even more blessed to be able to do so with my sons, wife and many great VFRD'ers (some of whom are my friends :goofy: ) so I do spend more than most people on gizmos and gadgets.

Don't feel compelled to support this or anything else I praise but I wouldn't feel like I had done my part if I thought you guys might be interested in something and I kept it to myself.

I imagine horror stories like the British drone company failure and the apparently soon to be/continuing horror story around the Skully helmet may have poisoned the well for some of us when it comes to this sort of thing.

• Member Contributer

Subscribed. I like the 2 minute capture feature in the event of an accident. That could really come in handy with today's distracted drivers.

• Member Contributer

My main concerns were loss of intercom with my pillion when out of cell coverage, but that seems to have been addressed already but is it a seamless change or would you connect via BT direct to pillion regardless? Secondly is battery life; I ride ~1hr to and ~1hr from work each day so an overnight charge should cover that but when I'm out at the weekends with my wife & friends, it's 8hrs+ in the saddle and to me the whole point of wireless is that it's, well, wire-less.

So I'm not going to invest several hundred £/$ at this stage to get something that doesn't work for my needs and then have to fork out more cash later to upgrade when the battery life gets extended.

Sorry.

But best of luck with the development and when it's fully sorted, I shall probably be a customer.

• Member Contributer

Definitely intrigued. I'm looking at the Sena 10c and this looks to be somewhat comparable in terms of features, with a few additions. The early adopter price is better for this set than the Sena, but once it hits retail phase it looks to be a couple hundred more. Have you tried the Sena yet Keith, and if so, what do you think of it? I don't mind the charging on the go if the fusar delivers what it claims to.

Thanks for the heads up, I may be in for a couple units.

• Member Contributer

I haven't tried the Sena 10c and had to be dragged to the 20s Sena after wanting to toss my Scalas across the street while waiting on a friend to have lunch in Copper Hill, TN a few months ago.

I knew the FUSAR was on the horizon or I would have tried the Sena system.

• Member Contributer

Does the $199 package come with the F7 ?

David, Which package are you looking at that iis shown at $199 on the link I posted in the first post?

• Member Contributer

I know the $299 smart helmet kit has the F7 and if we hit 10 people on this group buy that smart helmet kit will only be $209.99 so it's like getting the F7 at no cost.

I will check with the FUSAR guy who helped me set up the link page to see if anyone has ordered and how close we are to additional discounts.

• Member Contributer

Definitely intrigued. I'm looking at the Sena 10c and this looks to be somewhat comparable in terms of features, with a few additions. The early adopter price is better for this set than the Sena, but once it hits retail phase it looks to be a couple hundred more. Have you tried the Sena yet Keith, and if so, what do you think of it? I don't mind the charging on the go if the fusar delivers what it claims to.

Thanks for the heads up, I may be in for a couple units.

I just went back to review the Sena 10c and comapre the specs as it is hte only thing that is remotely similar to the FUSAR...

General Features:

Talk time: 17 hours

Recording time: 2 hours

Operating temperature: -10˚C ~ 55˚C (14°F ~ 131°F)

Dimensions

Main module: 107 mm x 60 mm x 31 mm ( 4.2 in x 2.4 in x 1.2 in)

Speaker: driver unit 36 mm – thickness 6.5 mm

Boom microphone length: 190 mm

Wire length between speakers: 555 mm

Weight (module): 94 g (3.32 oz)

Bluetooth:

Bluetooth 4.0

Headset Profile (HSP)

Hands-Free Profile (HFP)

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)

Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)

Intercom:

Working distance (intercom): up to 1.6 kilometers (1.0 mile) in open terrain

Audio:

Built-in SBC Codec

Advanced Noise Control

Wide volume control

Sample rate: max. 48kHz (DAC)

Built-in wide band Codec (HFP)

Sample rate: max 16 kHz

Optical:

Field of view: 125 degrees

Aperture f/2.0

Video Mode:

Resolution

1080p 30fps

720p 60fps

Photo Mode:

Resolution: 3.5MP (3:2)

Burst shot: 10 pics

Timelapse Mode:

Photo & Video

Single pic per 1 / 10 secs

Clearly the camera in the Sena is lacking (3.5mp compared to either a 12 or 16mp depending on the funding results) and the resolution in record mode of the FUSAR will be superior but not until the first firmware upgrade (1080p at 60fps).

The battery life of the Sena is about the same as the FUSAR when recording but appears to be greater when just used in comms mode.

• Member Contributer

Battery life using video is the main issue for me. Two hours is a joke. Until someone solves that, my money is staying in my pocket.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Battery life using video is the main issue for me. Two hours is a joke. Until someone solves that, my money is staying in my pocket.

Ciao,

What are the contour and gopro battery lives at? I'm pretty sure the contour is only rated between 2-4 as well, though some models have swappable batteries. The GoPros are even worse. Maybe 2 hrs. max.

Archived