Yard Work, Or Road Work...

JCcpFO.jpg

Road work

Or

Yard work. Raking leaves, cleaning gutters, pressure wash the deck… ach nein!

uKyiCt.jpg

Next decision: which road to work, NE or SW?

NE = crossing the city… not today

dyLstd.jpg

SW = one stop light and then open road down the Willamette Valley, hang a right at Philomath down the Alsea Hwy, side trip up to Mary’s Peak (highest point in the Coast Range) and then west to the coast.

KJcIEL.jpg

A brisk ride through the valley fog and over the pass to Newberg, fall is in the air.

mV0gYG.jpg

Fall colors and farmers getting busy prepping dirt, by this time next year I wonder how much of this fertile farm ground will be ready to harvest wacky tabacky.

y6OLvD.jpg

Twisty goodness on the Alsea highway

oFi36G.jpg

Nv1ALO.jpg

Instead of blowing leaves in the yard, I suggested to my wife that I blow leaves off the road. She said “fine, what time will you be home”?

Winding along the Alsea River

KtvmYi.jpg

cWbbhR.jpg

Turn north at Waldport, surf’s up at Seal Rock

4UkOWd.jpg

Newport Bridge

tigcVI.jpg

Yaquina lighthouse

CwqFas.jpg

Just had coffee for breakfast and been smackin’ my lips for some clam chowder at Mo’s for the last 2 hours

OH Nooo!

z6yIuG.jpg

Devil’s Punch Bowl

DsOs2e.jpg

Otter Rock

jb06Tr.jpg

Boiler Bay

rhKwTH.jpg

• Member Contributer

You chose wisely. Beautiful country and great pic's.

• Member Contributer

dyLstd.jpg

Bridge lift? It's such a PITA when they do that during the day - backs traffic up for miles.

Most of the good weather the past few weeks has been on weekdays. My boss really hates it when I take off from work to go riding!

Great photos - looks like a great day.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

I always view your latest ride report and photos with mixed emotions. I really enjoy the great pictures, but man, can it make me envious. Any time you want to swap some of that gorgeous scenery for some sand and pine trees, let me know.

Beauty of a bike, too.

RD

• Member Contributer

Great route choice! I used to do that trip up to Mary's Peak frequently when I was in college near there.

Wow! Some beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing

Most welcome for the share, you never know when someone wandering around Oregon might remember one of these routes that don't really jump out on a map :beer:

You chose wisely. Beautiful country and great pic's.

The choice for me is pretty easy, getting the wife's thumbs up is where it gets iffy, fortunately, she's all but given up on getting any work out of me on a sunny day :cool:

dyLstd.jpg

Bridge lift? It's such a PITA when they do that during the day - backs traffic up for miles.

Most of the good weather the past few weeks has been on weekdays. My boss really hates it when I take off from work to go riding!

Great photos - looks like a great day.

Cheers

Yup, bridge was up for a guy on a sailboat I believe :mad: I5 traffic is always annoying but some of my favorite roads are across the river, ya wanna play ya gotta pay I guess. Getting a really early start or heading south (for me anyway) eliminates all the traffic drama, though.

I always view your latest ride report and photos with mixed emotions. I really enjoy the great pictures, but man, can it make me envious. Any time you want to swap some of that gorgeous scenery for some sand and pine trees, let me know.

Beauty of a bike, too.

RD

Haha, thanks for the compliment, I would happily trade for some of your wrenching skills and a bit of youthful exuberance :laugh2:

Great route choice! I used to do that trip up to Mary's Peak frequently when I was in college near there.

A co-worker who races bicycles told me about Mary's Peak years ago. A great road with an amazing view of the peaks in the Cascade range, I've heard you can see the ocean from there as well, but I've never caught a clear enough day for that view.

• 4 weeks later...

That's a terrific road. Hardly any traffic and lots of fun to ride. Mary's Peak is certainly a great vantage point. You're up above the fog on top. I haven't seen the ocean from there yet either. Great wildflowers at the summit.

Good Photos, nice ride, did it a few years ago.

There is also a little know road there, the Alsea South Fork Road;

AlseaSForkRd.gif

Single Lane, Quiet, good Pavement, heavy Canopy, lots of Curves.

Best ridden Eastbound.

http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/files/brochures/Alsea_Falls_Rec_Site.pdf

Just don't count on buying gasoline at Alsea ($5/gallon).

You have SO many good rides in the PNW,,..

That's a terrific road. Hardly any traffic and lots of fun to ride. Mary's Peak is certainly a great vantage point. You're up above the fog on top. I haven't seen the ocean from there yet either. Great wildflowers at the summit.

Curves, wildflowers, views...

and a couple of waterfalls :cool:

DOknCu.jpg

Good Photos, nice ride, did it a few years ago.

There is also a little know road there, the Alsea South Fork Road;

AlseaSForkRd.gif

Single Lane, Quiet, good Pavement, heavy Canopy, lots of Curves.

Best ridden Eastbound.

http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/files/brochures/Alsea_Falls_Rec_Site.pdf

Just don't count on buying gasoline at Alsea ($5/gallon).

You have SO many good rides in the PNW,,..

Gas is OUT,

PIE is IN :wub:

7ZHhL3.jpg

• Member Contributer

I chose rode work today, me and the red head went out with some hardly moving friends today. We had a short 150 mile trip to Dale Hollow dam and back to Nashville.

post-34384-0-23514300-1447653416.jpg

post-34384-0-64616700-1447653429.jpg

post-34384-0-46513800-1447653439.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Nice pics for sure.  SCGuy, you aren't far from some of the best twisties in the country.  May require an overnight stay but I do it several times a year and I'm a little bit further away than you are.  And yes, my yard work is far behind schedule.  

• HispanicSlammer pinned, featured, unfeatured and unpinned this topic

Archived