Assen Bsb 20 September 2015

JZH

• Member Contributer

Weather permitting ( :cool:), I'm planning to do a short trip from London on Saturday morning to Leiden, then on Sunday to Assen for the first round of the BSB "Showdown" (why the British superbikes have a race in the Netherlands is not entirely clear, but I'm cool with it!) with an American friend of mine. It has been said that I don't ride at all enough, so this is how I'm addressing that issue. I don't actually follow BSB very closely, but I suppose I'm a bit of a Shakey Byrne fan. He's the defending BSB champion and is going for an unprecedented fifth BSB title. My California-bro John Hopkins is also competing in BSB this year, though he's not one of the Showdown contenders.

A bit of a long shot, but is anyone else from VFRD going? Tickets are a reasonable EUR30 for Sunday. I think the grandstands are open seating for this event. It's been ages since I've been to the TT circuit; where are the best viewing spots?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

"Geert Timmer tribube" is the best place, the last chicane for the finish line.

Nevef been to bsb, but at wsbk tickets for gt would also allow grandstand seating.

September was traditionally wsbk time. Then this bs american race car series got scheduled, moving wsbk to early in the year. I have had frost at night at the trackside camping. Nothing single malt whisky cannot cure... This race car thing was a flop, wsbk was not moved and bsb came to town. Wsbk always saw a lot of brits coming over (Foggy ruled supreme) so no surprise to me they do bsb.

Yes, I was planning on going, to make it a hattrick for this year (SBK, MotoGP & now BSB) :biggrin:

We can meet at the track or e.g. at this petrol station. From there it is a little over an hour ride to the track. I would like to be at the track in time for the pitwalk that starts at 10am so in that case 8.30h at the petrol station? If you want to get there earlier (e.g. for the warm-up), no problem. The motorcycle parking is right behind the main stand and from there there is a tunnel that leads to the paddock.

I'll pm you my cellphone number.

Here is a map with some of my preferred spots (wiggly orange lines). The Geert Timmer stand is always a good spot (as long as it is not raining). The chicane often provides the best action and you have a good view on the vide owall. Only during MotoGP there are plenty of videowalls to be able to follow the race from almost every grandstand, not that many during SBK and even less during BSB. The Strubben stand, at the end of the long straight, offers a good view of a relatively large portion of the track. If you want to get real close to the action or shoot a pic of your favourite rider than De Bult is a good spot. When the sun is out I like to lay down in the grass on the embankment at Meeuwenmeer.

2015_BSB.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sunday forecasted for dry-ish weather (unlike Noah-day just now...) so yeah, I'm game! If you want me there that is..........

8:30 (or earlier jsut tell) at the Putten petrol station on the motorway .

temperatures will be around 16C so hopefully we will find somewhere to warm our hands.....

a0253aed.jpg

• Member Contributer

Great stuff, guys! I think meeting at Putten at 8:30 would be perfect. Leiden is about an hour away from there--what's the speed limit for foreigners on foreign-registered bikes, anyway? :wink:

I'll send you my mobile number in PM. I've been keeping an eye on the weather before making the final decision, but it looks like it might be okay on the weekend. I should probably book my Chunnel ticket soon!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Have fun kids. Wish I could hop on a plane, rent a bike and meet you there...

Matt

Have a nice race day tomorrow, I hope I would be there to! I will look at the race in (as ½ hour) replay late tomorrow evening (as the Jerez WSB races live on the day from Eurosport)

:fing02:

Enjoy the race!

V4Rosso should have a crown for the Assent race look hat trick :laugh2:

I´m in front of the TV switching betwen the 24h Boldor and Jerez WSB :lurk:

• Member Contributer

Cheers guys for the fun day!!!

JZH *is* still a Californian at heart..............

We get to the track, it had been raining, is definately is not warm by dutch standards but he proceeds to change his riding pants for shorts... Och well.... :goofy:

This sums up the days' weather and dilemma for the teams (there were I think 10 races during the day)

sunshine, rain, dry, threathening to rain, dry, repeat!

P9209616_zpsfmjuk1sg.jpg

Enough to warm a man's body though...

P9209608_zps8n5xh6l2.jpg

the tyre warmer of course you pervs!!!

Ah yes, the racing...

The "2 minutes to start" signal has rung and this guys' team had not shown... so he was frantically running over the grid asking "can you help me start my bike?!?!?"

P9209596_zpsminj0bov.jpg

Not all support teams had scarpered...

P9209592_zpsenv9zcjy.jpg

P9209590_zpswtoymmpi.jpg

Ah, sorry, I got distracted..... the racing!!!

P9209568_zpsgipz5vvl.jpg

"I will go for a little nap" Paul

IMAG2770_1_zpsplqghmrq.jpg

You Are HERE

(but where is *my* bike??)

P9209619_zpsfg0ctudn.jpg

somewhere in here...

(I think..)

P9209618_zpsmft4mwyz.jpg

Major kudos for one rider during the day. He competes whilst both his legs are amputated below the knees. Using "flippers" to operated the gears by hand.

He came in last I think but what a drive! :beer:

5,000 years earlier, man build burial chambers for their champions..

P9209620_zpslquw53v9.jpg

:fing02:

Seem you guys had a great day, as I did in front of the TV :wink: (Well, not as great as live racing I guess...)

Only the race 2 of the Assen BSB was broadcasted Sunday evening, Was a big pie of water next to the S bends before the finnish line!

sunshine, rain, dry, threathening to rain, dry, repeat!

The H2R guys got the short end of the stick. The BSB-Moto3 race was red flagged when it started to rain and they had to return to the pit to switch to a wet setup. With the Moto3 in the pit they send out the H2R owners out for their parade lap, some were not feeling very confident with that much horsepower on a wet track.

h2r1170040.jpg

Rain or shine, itś alway good to have an umbrella at hand:

Pwet1170041.jpg

PSR1170055.jpgPSL1170056.jpg

With only one videowall located opposite of the main stand it is hard to follow the race when sitting at any of the other stands around the track. Who knows in a few years they can live stream to your phone.

R1170024.jpg

Dutch victory in Moto3 :biggrin:

SDR.jpg

• Member Contributer

It was a fun (long) day at Assen; I finally got to meet Jeroen and Leon in person, it's good to go to motorcycle races every once in a while (even if you can see more on TV!) and we didn't really get rained on (much). I'm also glad my recently resurrected FP survived the three-day trip, as did most of my gear. I still have a niggling fuel line leak to deal with...and I think I will put the baffle back in my TBR!

Btw, I found Dutchy's, Paul's (my old CBR1k) and my bikes in the bike park pic:

post-362-0-85200600-1443135314.jpg

Also, thanks to Jeroen and Leon for taking the lead to get to the track and choosing the best viewing positions, etc. :beer:

Ciao,

Archived