Hispanic Slammer And Yokel Do Eu 2016

Yokel

• Member Contributer

Hello VFRD!

After Miguel and I had gotten suitably drunk, we decided and have made a pact to tour Europe for two weeks in the summer of 2016. We are thinking mid-June 2016.

Goals - tour the Alps, perhaps catch a road race, do everything as inexpensively as possible. We talked about the Fjords in Norway, Eastern Europe, Greece, Italy, Benelux, England (Scotland, Ireland) Netherlands, Germany.... We are kind of open right now for destinations. We both enjoy the local scene kind of thing, and are not totally crazy about seeing big cities.

Likely, we will camp in tents, but part of the time but are looking for local people willing to host two chubby 'Muricans on the occasional night to do laundry and share some laughs. Knowing where helping hands are located in case of emergency would be incredibly welcome.

What we need from you, the population of VFRD:

1) The best way to procure cheap rental bikes. We prefer something like an SV650 or other midsize bike with sporting intentions that can allow for luggage and fun riding. Loaner bikes are welcome and will earn you new tires. :-) It will also get us to fly in to your town and impose on your hospitality for a day!

2) Advice on motor-touring, camping and generally going cheap in the EU. What are insurance or licensing requirements for Yanks in the EU?

3) Best places to ride. We think we can cover about 5000 kilometers during our stay.

4) Things "not to miss" while we are in the area mid-June. Know of any neat town or national festivals that involve beer in June? We're in.

5) Some people willing to help in case of mechanical failure or other unforeseen events.

6) Budget. I've done a reasonable amount of figuring... right now it looks like motorcycle rental will be the most expensive. Anyone with input on this will be very appreciated. Airfare is already figured.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime bucket list trip for the two of us. We're needing some help making it happen! Pretend we are ignorant (which shouldn't be too hard!) and offer up some nuggets of wisdom!

Thanks to all in advance,

Yokel

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Sounds like a fantastic & ambitious trip.

Tools/ramp/washing machine & beds available just off Junction 10 of the A1, 30 mins north of London Chez Skids.

Can suggest some good roads in UK & will take a look at bike hire.

Don't dismiss Wales.....some superb roads there too.

• Member Contributer

Yokel, you seem a nice enough guy; what can you tell me about this HS guy??? :unsure::goofy:

To give you an idea of rental charges in the Netherlands:

Euro 450 a week, 1,000km free, 20 cent per extra km

http://www.silverline.nl/verhuur/ijsselstein/suzuki-dl-1000-v-strom-abs/

A Honda NC700S ABS is 250 a week, 1,000km free, 15 cent

the NC700X is 275 a week

This rental agency is 3 km's from our home.

The above will rent to yanks with a licence, insurance is included.

They also rent gear but my advise is to at least bring your own helmet. (I took mine aboard as cabin luggage to TMAC; even on the small place from JFK to Charlotte.

Going cheap in the Netherlands would be staying at our place.

Best places to ride.........

coming from Colorado and having been to the smokies (and probably a lot in between), there will be little in terms of roads that you will not have "seen before".

That was my feeling when riding at TMAC. Don't get me wrong, I loved being and riding there, but road wise, nothing that blew me away.

So yes you will like the Scottish Highlands, Eiffel Forest, The Alps etc, etc, but enjoy the trip for what it will be. 2 buddies riding through countries they never been to and eat food that actually tastes good! :-)

Should you come to the NL, some tasty dikes will be on the menu.

Last sunday in June (boooohooo they stopped running it on the traditional Saturday) is the MotoGP at Assen.

As for assistance when yous are in a bit of bother

Wow, nice trip ahed.

Well, for Place to ride, the Alps as Dolmotes are stunning, and what I know of the Spanish roads are also great, even not been there to ride them. South of France is also butiful and has the LeMans track close. Ofcorse a lap on the Nurburgring would be a great thing to do I would suggest.

Just my 2 cents

France has great cols in the Alpes. Did the Col 'd Iseran this summer by car, 2700 meters high. The only disadvantage of France are aproimately 100.000 speedcams (not a yoke :angry: ) Off course The famous German Eifel with a tour on the Nurnburgring should be part off a bike tour. Italy has its famous Stelvio. Austria the GrossGlockner, a 30 km long road trough the Austrian Alpes. And as Dutchy already mentioned the last weekend of june the famous Dutch TT at Assen. And personally i know some good dike roads in the northern part of the Netherlands.

A thing as you, Yokel, did say Norway as the Fjords, Nice but expensive country! So not for a budjet trip. I did a almost 3 week trip whit V4Rosso and Douglastecook to Mugello Motogp in 2011 for far less than a 1½ week trip in Norway!

• Member Contributer

Man, bike rental is going to be expensive.

Might be more fun to send you guys some money and BUY cheap bikes for the trip, then sell when we are done! :)

I will contact my guy at Motoport Echt and see if a swinging deal can be had. TheGood thing you want a mid sized bike, because the big bikes are too pricy. Usually the rental fleet is last years demo bikes. The Eifel is a must, but stay off the Nurnurgring. Best case, 15 mins of terror, worst case, a very expensive slide into the armco. Too bad you wont be there in late July, because then, you could ride with me for a spell. For airfare, check out Icelandair. Consistantly much, much cheaper. Also rule out either british isles or the continent as very few rental places allow you to go back and forth because of insurance requirements.

Also make sure you passport is good until 6 months AFTER your drparture date.

Might be more fun to send you guys some money and BUY cheap bikes for the trip, then sell when we are done! :)

This is a thing that crossed my mind, some ~500-800€ VFR´s that are technical just about ok but bodywork just hang there.... :wacko:

http://www.speurders.nl/overzicht/motoren-en-scooters/motoren-honda/honda-vfr-750-f-152109523.html?sr_ab=1&order_direction=asc&order_by=price&query=vfr+750

• Member Contributer

I will contact my guy at Motoport Echt and see if a swinging deal can be had. TheGood thing you want a mid sized bike, because the big bikes are too pricy. Usually the rental fleet is last years demo bikes. The Eifel is a must, but stay off the Nurnurgring. Best case, 15 mins of terror, worst case, a very expensive slide into the armco. Too bad you wont be there in late July, because then, you could ride with me for a spell. For airfare, check out Icelandair. Consistantly much, much cheaper. Also rule out either british isles or the continent as very few rental places allow you to go back and forth because of insurance requirements.

Also make sure you passport is good until 6 months AFTER your drparture date.

Timmy, do you find yourself going over the quoted allowance for Kilometers? We are pseudo-flexy on the dates. Iceland air is FAR cheaper than the competition. :)

My work is based near Munich, so I might be able to swing some accommodations near Kaufbeuren. Good point about British Isles.

This is a thing that crossed my mind, some ~500-800€ VFR´s that are technical just about ok but bodywork just hang there.... :wacko:

http://www.speurders.nl/overzicht/motoren-en-scooters/motoren-honda/honda-vfr-750-f-152109523.html?sr_ab=1&order_direction=asc&order_by=price&query=vfr+750

Geez, that's cheap!

I usually crush the allowed KMs, nut my guy rarely charges me for it. Another plus for the Eifel is that there are no bad routes, so you dont need to know where the good roads are. Also, Luxembourg is my new fave. All roads fun and smooth as a pool table.

• Member Contributer

Icelandair are cheap for a reason.

A friend booked a trip to the US with Icelandair. 1st leg to Europe was late landing, connection went without them. Icelandair said you've missed yr flight, bugger off. They had to fly VIA MOSCOW with an 18 hour wait to get to the US and paid for the extra trip.

True story!

I was thinking today that yr cheapest option may well be to buy a bike then resell. Clearly, it would require someone to find a couple of decent bikes, then ensure they're mechanically sound & serviced, then sort out insurance for 2 riders with no Euro-history. But I dare say it could be overcome.

I understand the draw of the southern European roads which could effectively preclude a visit to the UK. It would be a shame cos there are some absolute crackers in both Scotland & Wales....at least the equal of anything I've ridden in Europe. I'm also not sure the Stelvio is a particularly great thing to look forward to; 47 slow hairpins (more than 180 degrees a lot of them) up a steep slope with cyclists, cars & coaches doing their best to hit you whilst you do it. The roads at the top are fine, but the 47 hairpins themselves; well I suppose you could always say "I've done the Stelvio". Personally, there are far better stretches of fun roads out there.

I missed a connection flyimg from amsterdam to iceland, and Icelandair put me in a 4 star hotel and paid for everything. I got to check out Reykjavik and had a great time. The problem with buying a bike ( i have tried this route ) is the 70% sales tax and the insurance. Nobody wants to insure americans on euro roads. The rental covers the "green insurance" and you are responsible for the girst 750 euros of damage. Ask me how I know that!

• Member Contributer

I was looking into a similar trip, and I seem to recall something about not being able to buy a bike in the EU because I am not a part of the EU. I'm sure someone will correct me if this is not right, but I think I'm close. There are other options. For some reason recall Spain being an exception. And I recall Germany allowing an exception with some special registration that was good for a month.

I don't know if plans allow, but it sounds like you may be there during the IOM? That's why I'll be there! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

We chatted about IOM, which would be epic. Living in Colorado, we both get to see a good deal of the mountains already, but the Alps are the Alps. I gotta say Skids, you're making me think maybe just 10 days in the British Isles might be a hell of a trip. Scotland, Wales, Ireland... could be great. The exchange rate is not so favorable as it would be in the Eastern EU though, and that's a concern.

Good points Timmy about the tax. Hadn't thought about that.

The Eifel is a must, but stay off the Nurnurgring

Why? I have done a lap, and that Monday after the Superbike race on Nurburgrings GP circut and it was full of "crazy" Britts (sorry for that) rideing cracy on "the Ring", but taking it easy and looking more to the mirrors that usuallay it was fine. Only hair raising thing was a BMW car passing outside in a blind of camber corner going sideways....

• Member Contributer

Whos gonna let us couch surf?

Double bed + air mattrass methink unless you 2 want to get real cosy (which is not a problem... not even in the USA anymore...) :goofy:

At least for NL, renting would be my advise. Bikes will be relatively new, maintained versus a cheap (for a reason) used mc.

Buying and thus registering the bikes will not be possible for you, unless you request (takes time) so-called "export plates".

These used to be valid for 7 days in the EU if I recall, but no more. You need to get one in NL, then get one in Germany, etc etc.

Insurance will be a pain, unless you find someone with 2 (insured) bikes you can borrow. For it is the bike that is insured, not the owner. That would mean drawing up a contract of liabilty unless the owner of the 2 bikes is happy to pay for any uninsured damage you cause or if you wreck the bikes. something I was ok with for the one day that Keny rode his VF500F2 to Finland, 2 weeks vacation I would not be comfortable with.

Rental bikes insurance is included and you can "up" the cover to have less own contribution in case of an accident.

After the hassle of getting your bought bikes legal, you have sell them again. For you want that piece of paper that says the bike is no longer yours....

Count your money, go rent and enjoy your trip.

Last Friday I paid last respects to a lady my age, when we were 17 we were in love, known her for 40 years.

Last year we went for a great day riding (she rode a Honda too).

52, cancer, dead.

Go and live your lives, you cannot take your money with you.

• Member Contributer

NL has 70%. Denmark has 180% I think.

Then there are luxury tax, road tax, and insurance. I am sure on of our continental members will he along to clarify.

Well if I add the tax on my wages, the VAT, the motor vehicle tax, water pumping tax, council tax, the inheritance tax, yeah I might hit 70%....

but I love it heare!

VAT is 21% which gets ~20% vehicle tax on top at 1st registration. Belgium methink has a tax each time you buy a motor vehicle (hence Belgium having a restricted VFR1200 as this costs you less)

so bikes are more expensive than say Germany, but they have rules that requires you to have documented approval for each modification.... be it an approval for the part or an individual test.

a used 3rd gen can be had for say Eur 1,000 a 4th gen 1,400

but you guys want to go camp, so you need panniers. Or are you skipping the airbeds and sleep on the dirt?

Drunken decisions may fall in the "the best laid plans o' men and mice..." category. I hope not for would be glad to host U2.

Yes, rental bikes are the safe and easy way, but whit a rented bike I also would skip "the Ring", at least the rideing part, just stop by and see other ride it can be fun to, you would have been there.

Buying a bike for the trip of corse gives more "spice" to the trip..(Whit old VFR´s and a R/R as fule pump contactor in the backpocket you proberly ok?)..but yes, you have to sell them to!

So looks oits more a chose of UK or Main EU whit a round trip including the Harz as a fast blast to see the Dolometes........

• Member Contributer

If your thinking of the IOM you will have no chance during TT week, ferry needs to be booked 53 weeks in advance! Courtesy of The Isle of Man Steam Packet (Racket) Company worst ferries ive been on.As for their prices, even the racers are moaning about them. Best to go to the Classic TT end of August, bit more low key, not as packed and the racing is just as good. Just got back from there and had a great time. Sail from Heysham, not Liverpool it was half the price ie £121 return myself and the bike. Accommodation might be a struggle gets booked early. I camped and sites were plentiful.

Forget touring England, roads are crap, congested, cameras everywhere. Wales is brilliant except Sat and Sun, too many boy racers and posers. Scotland is great except summer, too many midges! My favourite is Ireland been twice so far this year and going again end of Sept, cheap as hell, beautiful place and great roads.

Agree about buying a bike here, how about this one?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbikes/honda-vfr-750-/1132606478

Dont know about insurance for your guys over here, try contacting fellow member "FromMaine" site name, website "V4Hondabbs.com" he keeps a couple of bikes over here and rides them when his job allows. I met him at one of our bike shows here and hes a good guy.

Am sure fellow members here in UK and Dike country could source you one, purchase and prep on your behalf and sell again.

Europe - agree with "skids" Stelvio was overrated, just 47 tight!! hairpins close together and loads of traffic. My favourite was the Castellane, Barcellonette area of S France. Cracking roads and campsites were great.

post-30687-0-43909600-1441876152.jpg

Archived