I´m Now A 3Rd Gen Owner

So to put a long story short, my fairy tale whit my 1985 VF500F2 came to an end as I sold it, and as part payment I did accept a 1991 VFR750F
gallery_880_2173_75571.jpg
Ok, its not a minter... years has made their marks, from rideing and a standstill drop. It has 75k kms on the clock and rides like a champ! The about 70km test ride was a plesure, the bike fits me like a glove.

The fork leg lowers should be a easy task
gallery_880_2573_153612.jpg
The cracks a bit more demanding
gallery_880_2573_187766.jpg
gallery_880_2573_115845.jpg

Chain and sprockets are shoot, so need to be replaced, but the tires are a fresh set of PR2´s, but former owner did just mount them at home, so need to be balanced.
Also nice are it cam whit 3 Givi 36l hardbags as Fivestars racks for them. Also came whit a additional Corbin seat
gallery_880_2573_182257.jpg
But its well used, so needs a new cover
gallery_880_2573_260580.jpg
The muffler is a Maverick, not to loud, but I would like to find a stock one
gallery_880_2573_289418.jpg
A strange thing is that even its a Euro model, it has red rear turn lights :wacko: -> needs a change
gallery_880_2573_146762.jpg

So some work to be done, but I really like the ride position, and even it has foults, it has mutch nice as well! So might be a keeper, even I like them in RED....not Black...eh Gratine Blue as mutch....winter project to fix the cracs and a respray? Have to see

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I never felt like the VF500 was "my bike" something missing. While it was a fun bike and sure a looker, it was not a good long distanse bike becorse of the small tank, even othervise ok, the power, even fexible still not the grunt like a 750, and as I had miss the drop valve thing of the VF500 before buying it, it really bothered. I really did not like the idea of rideing a bike that will pop sooner than later. So I see no point having a bike that will mostly stand in the garage, a bike needs to be ridden. Add that the VF500 had a oil leak at the front sprocket shaft, a engine split thing to change.... As you add I need some cash to go on whit a Yamaha Tenere project.... So as I got a bike that fits me better as some money I´m happy whit the deal. Well would been more happy if it been a 1986-89 VFR750F RC24

A thing, some parts I look for

- Amber rear turn singals X
- Stock silenser/muffler in nice nic
- Rear cowl, color do not matter
- Sidestand cover

• Member Contributer

Amber rear turn signals I should have in my shed

I now a German VFR owner has some rear seat cowls; will drop you a note

Sidestand cover, contact Thurn!

post-8974-0-91375300-1441109321.png

Thanks Dutchy :fing02:

Well the first post gives a really bad picture of the bike, as I only show it foults, but I see a lot of potential here!

• Member Contributer

Parcel dropped off, came back inside just in time...

No need to wash the car today!

post-8974-0-40132600-1441192056.jpg

Wow, that's a sudden change. Red or black, the third gen is still the best looking VFR ever made :biggrin:

If what you show in the pics are the only flaws, it's not too bad for a bike that age. And it came with nice accessories too. The Five Stars rack is getting hard to find.

Why do you want the stock exhaust, is the one it has now too loud?

Wow, that's a sudden change.

Yes, to me to!

Why do you want the stock exhaust, is the one it has now too loud?

No, its not bad, but as police nowdays here seem to be as German police to even bit louder bike (at least during spring, did last spring take plates of a new stok KTM RC8!), a stocker seem like a good choice, if not used here at local rides, to have when I will do a big trip again, spechally on German soil....

Just did order a chain/sprocket kit as a air filter. Oil and spark plugs are changed 2k kms ago but no history when airfilter is changed so better to change it.

• Member Contributer

I love 3rd gen VFR750s, and your's looks pretty tasty.

Be extra careful when removing the bodywork as there are lots of tabs and slots, and the plastic is more brittle after 20 years.

The fork legs are clear coated so you will need to strip that first. Then use emory cloth and scotchbrite pads to remove any nicks or corrosion, twisting the fork to keep the same texture. The alloy has a sand-cast finish near the lugs and a faint circular pattern elsewhere. I did this to my '92 VFR's forks, and decided not repaint or brightly polish them. Two years and 20K km later they still looked great.

The alloy-stemmed mirrors from the 2000-2009 VFR800 are a direct replacement and look nicer.

Pre-VTec VFR800 handlebars are about 15mm taller and a fairly easy swap. The locating lug is in a different so needs to be trimmed, and the locating holes for the controls might not line up but it is a fairly easy swap.

I have a stock muffler in very nice condition but alas, the shipping costs would be too expensive.

Good luck with your project.

LBB4472

LBB4872e

LBB4865e

Stem mirrors from 2000 FIY fit and are an easy upgrade. Non OEM parts are available.

VTEC stems are too narrow at the base an will not fit.

Love the look of the bare forks.

Maybe this winter I'll give mine a rub :happy:

Thanks for the offer on the muffler Lorne, but yest shipping costs would be too mutch I think.

And thanks for the tips

Nice 92 you have :fing02:

Have to see what I do to mine, for now, aside the turn signals back to amber, just do service as balance the tires and a new chain/sprocket kit and enjoy it

Keny, I have an absolutely mint standard can. I'm also after a better seat...would you be interested in a swap for the Corbin with cash your way along with the exhaust? I live in the UK so shipping shouldn't be too much effort.

Hi Keny - I hope you add many enjoyable kms to the old girl. Just wondering what your plan is with the red blinker lenses... keeping them or selling them? I actually quite like them so would be interested in buying... only problem is that I am in Australia, although I make regular trips 'home' to Scotland...

As for the red rear turn signals, I will not put them on again, so your now first on the list to buy them if you want.

OK, I got something in the mail today, will sort the worn out chain :smile:

post-880-0-35159800-1441355035.jpg

Hi Keny - I hope you add many enjoyable kms to the old girl. Just wondering what your plan is with the red blinker lenses... keeping them or selling them? I actually quite like them so would be interested in buying... only problem is that I am in Australia, although I make regular trips 'home' to Scotland...

Hey buddy, if the sale doesn't work out - it's easy enough to buy red tint spray!

A prof I found the color is actually blue even it looks most of the time black....

vfr750-l.jpg

OK, its a 1990 in the pic, but same color code

• Member Contributer

Red rear turn signals were a US-spec thing. I remember contacting breakers in the UK to source a set of amber ones in 1993--this was effectively pre-Internet, so it was a bit of a hassle. Only for the US bikes to get amber ones in 1994 (which also fit the earlier bikes)...

Your bike does need some TLC, but it should be great after a winter's attention--it's barely broken in!

Ciao,

OK, so Friday evening I started whit a good wash, a lot of old grese and dirt to wash away. No pic, I guess all knows what a mess it is if now cleaned regulary....

Then to the garage and a bodywork strip and still some wash.

I noticed some more bodywork damage I had missed.... :dry:

gallery_880_2573_217770.jpg

gallery_880_2573_207756.jpg

So some plastic welding was done.

The collector box looks OK, but down pipes are rusty

gallery_880_2573_443682.jpg

gallery_880_2573_537502.jpg

This before cleaning......

gallery_880_2573_837224.jpg

Then to change the chain

But what a disapointment as I open the box the chain was in, golden chain on the box, black inside

gallery_880_2573_619702.jpg

Did run out of time as chin was off and new sprockets on...

Oh well, then we move to today, as I was there I did look at the suspension linkage as it was not a big thin to do, was like new

gallery_880_2573_1013235.jpg

And got them cleaned same way and added new greese :smile2:

The big picture

gallery_880_2573_411181.jpg

A thing that conserns me a bit is that the bolt that tightens the rear bearing, and you loose as you adjust the chain, does not turn smoothly, you cant adjust the chain on the road whit oem tools, you need a longer shaft to move it. It did however tighten, so....fingers corssed.

The clutch fluid was not so good looking

gallery_880_2573_752352.jpg

Better

gallery_880_2573_197149.jpg

And air filter, I wounder when it has been replaced last time, was a OEM Honda filter in there, stock from factory?

gallery_880_2573_904653.jpg

The I did check the connection of the wires from the alternator :blink:

gallery_880_2573_1004959.jpg

It has been hot there...

gallery_880_2573_632916.jpg

And just fixed it temporarly whit these kind of stuff

61KHP4v8anL._SY355_.jpg

and electrical tape

gallery_880_2573_275523.jpg

And now after a warmed ½ pizza, back to the garage to put bodywork on as balance front wheel, rear already done.....

• Member Contributer

It just needed someone to show it a little love! Good to catch the electrical problems before total meltdown. The light scratches, if not through the color might come out with heavy buffing, or sanding with some 2000 or finer grit paper followed by polishing.

Today to work whit it :wheel:

I did check the voltage after conecting the alternator wires, 14.4-13.8Volts depending on engine rpm, so I guess the R/R is fine.

The balansing of the wheels did take out a slight wobble at 60km/h it had, and the new chain is silky smooth so reallly a joy to ride now. :smile2:

Archived