Firefighter Lights

UltimateWinslow

• Member Contributer

Rigid Industries sells LED lights for firefighter/ emergency use. Not cheap though.

• Member Contributer

Why? And it is illegal to put emergency lights on a civilian vehicle, car or motorcycle. As a volunteer fire fighter I'm annoyed that you want to do this for the fun of it. So you can tell I don't think it's a brilliant idea.

Edit: Let me direct you to this discussion: http://forums.officer.com/t108773/

I guess I should have mentioned in the first post that I am a volunteer fire fighter. I have a set of red and whites in my Jeep but with the weather here in FL moving towards how warm it is. I guess I left that out in the first post. Whoops...

• Member Contributer

buy the red and white led strobe kit. add as many lights as you want. hell, make the whole damned bike covered in lights if you wish..

....... ...... the dotted line represents wire....

+ POS battery terminal...... strobe switch............. lights.......... ground to frame

that simple!!

thats the easiest way..

the other way is hooking up the + pos wire to a red " power after the ignition switch "

Any town or village in the northeast I'm aware of allows only blue lights. In some places they cannot blink or be used on Interstate highways.

Ex volunteer fire fighter. R3~

• Member Contributer

Okay then. I take it you haven't been hassled for having them on your Jeep. Have at it. But still don't think it's a brilliant idea.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I would do a 'benefit the volunteers tribute bike' you could get sponsors ;-) less out of pocket, if ANY COST, better assistance in getting the project done from start to finish, more information including legalities AND experience. This will help in another, more personal project.

* make friends not enemies *

• Member Contributer

I'm both a paid and a volunteer FF on multiple depts. so I know what everyone but your young vollie buddies are going to say when you light up your bike. If you aren't already getting called a whacker by the full time guys, you sure will be if you stick lights on the bike. You can't carry your turnouts on the bike if you respond direct, and you're already going to be able to get to the station quicker than the cagers without running WFO if you report to the station. I can tell you from 30+ years of experience that people don't even see big tandem axle ladder trucks running lights and sirens, so you're almost guaranteeing yourself a T-bone situation if you decide to run emergency traffic on a tiny little bike with a couple of little flashing lights and no siren. We have people pull out or turn in front of us on nearly every run we make in a big shiny engine. If it's just for show and not to respond, go ahead and chrome everything, add some custom paint or fur, and get an extended swingarm, cause that's the effect a bunch of flashing lights will have.

• Member Contributer

As tbzep said, I know enough full time guys to know that they would think you were a tool. um........no.

• Member Contributer

I'm both a paid and a volunteer FF on multiple depts. so I know what everyone but your young vollie buddies are going to say when you light up your bike. If you aren't already getting called a whacker by the full time guys, you sure will be if you stick lights on the bike. You can't carry your turnouts on the bike if you respond direct, and you're already going to be able to get to the station quicker than the cagers without running WFO if you report to the station. I can tell you from 30+ years of experience that people don't even see big tandem axle ladder trucks running lights and sirens, so you're almost guaranteeing yourself a T-bone situation if you decide to run emergency traffic on a tiny little bike with a couple of little flashing lights and no siren. We have people pull out or turn in front of us on nearly every run we make in a big shiny engine. If it's just for show and not to respond, go ahead and chrome everything, add some custom paint or fur, and get an extended swingarm, cause that's the effect a bunch of flashing lights will have.

My brother is a twenty yr+ vet( currently a Battalion Chief) and has yet gone to the trouble of equiping his private vehicles for that very reason. Figures if people cant see a fully lit ,red,35,000 pd pumper, they sure as heck are not going to see his Infiniti !! Save your money.

• Member Contributer

I didn't get the impression that the OP wanted to do this so that he could respond to a call. I thought he just wanted to look cool, or is that kewl.

Archived