Travelling To Scotland

Bartho

In two weeks I'm travelling with 4 friends to Scotland. Brussels Calais Dover and up to the High lands. I was asking myself how much the Dartford tunnel cost and can we use Visa card?

• Member Contributer

Bikes are free! :beer:

Whereabouts in Scotland are you planning to go?

What's your route up? If you are travelling up the A1, we're 5 mins off Junction 10 so if you wanted to stop for a coffee break, you're more than welcome.

In four day's up to Taynuilt. First day Newmarket, day 2 Darlington Day 3 Withburn day 4 Taynuilt. The M25 till Brentwood then small roads to Scotland.

Sorry not the A1.

Bike's free that's fine. Is there any specially lane for bike's or can we go by any.

Thanks for the information.

• Member Contributer

No special line but take the attended booths as they have to lift the barrier manually for you. Filter forwards as far as you can, if yr happy to do that. the queues can be miles long.

Just watch out for the average speed camers on the way over the bridge on your return south (tunnel northbound, bridge southbound).

I think my English is not that good to write a report. But I will try it, and if I think the writing is good enough I put it here on the forum.

We are going with 4 bikers. Me , off course, with the VFR1200f, My wife with KTM Duke 390, My friend Harley CVO softail and his wife Harley Sporster 1200.

So big difference in motorcycles but this will give no problem because we take the less possible motorways.

I take my wife luggage and mine on my bike so she has nothing on hers, so she will have it very easy to following with her small bike.

I will take pictures of our start.

• Member Contributer

No fuel issues in UK, you have either unleaded (95RON) or super unleaded (97-99RON). UK Fuel has 5-10% ethanol in line with european directives. All your bikes are relatively new, so should be no problems.

• Member Contributer

No special line but take the attended booths as they have to lift the barrier manually for you. Filter forwards as far as you can, if yr happy to do that. the queues can be miles long.

Just watch out for the average speed camers on the way over the bridge on your return south (tunnel northbound, bridge southbound).

FYI, they've now removed all of the barriers at the Dartford Crossing, but I've not yet crossed on a bike, so I don't know what the procedure is. Very likely, there is no "procedure" any more!

Also, beware of the current migrant and strike situation at Calais, which is causing chaos at times and delaying both the Chunnel and the ferries. Bikes should be able to get around some problems--but piles of burning tires blocking the road may be a bit much!

Ciao,

Thanks for all info. Something about speed , max speed on M ways and A ways is there a difference. Normal road speed? and is it the same every where in the UK?

• Member Contributer

All bar a couple of UK motorways are free to use, most are 3 lanes each way, but some are only 2. Most tolls are free for motorcyclists.

The Maximum speed limit is 70mph = 112kph on motorways & dual carriage ways. A & B roads have a maximum speed limit of 60mph = 96kph. All towns will have a normal speed limit of 30mph = 48kph, unless otherwise indicated.

The only other common speeds limits are 40 or 50mph, on the lead in to towns, villages & some major urban roads. These will be sign posted by a large speed sign, with a repeater sign every few hundred meters, which is a small version of the speed sign.

When leaving a speed limit, where the road reverts to the national speed limit, there is a white roundel with a black diagonal, similar to the European sign that has parallel diagonal black stripes.

The UK has a LOT of speed cameras, but few Police patrols nowadays, the cameras are Gatso type speed trap & on open roads average speed cameras. The average speed ones get used a lot on motorway road works etc. there are also mobile radar/laser vans, these have to be clearly marked nowadays, but that does NOT mean they have to be parked in where you will see them. Common hides are on the far side of rises on fast roads where you won't see them until they lose you, or on bends using natural cover, sometimes they will be behind you. So you have been warned.

One of particular note is on the road to Fort William in Scotland, when you climb onto the plateau between Loch Lomond & Glen Coe, there is a mega straight a few miles long, with a a D shaped concrete bridge, with a lane joining just by the bridge, there is/was a speed camara by the bridge, which is not visible due to being lost in the bridge structure as you approach. There are many more usually signified by a very old world camera warning sign, with the camera box itself usually painted bright yellow, with white marker lines on the road in the speed trap area. Most motorway over head gantries have these lines painted, but few have any cameras, but that makes it a lottery !

Traffic lights are mostly the same as Europe, but you are NOT allowed to turn on RED.

Just remember to drive on the left, especially at Junctions ! if you have never been to the UK before, a good tip, is to make a small sign to leave on your dash EVERY evening to remind you to drive on the LEFT. Most foreign visitor accidents happen, when people turn out of junctions on the right side straight into oncoming traffic ! You have been warned !

Enjoy the trip.

I was in the UK before but more than twenty years ago. I put a sign (left) on my rear view mirror to remind me.Thanks for the clearly explanation. Only one thing. Can I or may I have speedcameras indication on the GPS?

• Member Contributer

Yes, you can. They're fitted to all GPS Sat Navs these days aren't they.

I'd also watch out when using the M25 London Orbital. They have installed some sneaky cameras there too. Behind some overhead gantries they have installed cameras but they are only activated if the speed limit has been reduced to less than the normal 70mph by temporary speed limit sign on the front of the gantries.

Watch out also for cameras on the left hand side of the gantries which are active all the time. They are painted the same grey as the gantry so do not stand out.

Average speed cameras (clearly marked) usually register the front number plate of vehicles....which is great for bikes. Just be aware that car drivers suddenly believe the rules of the road have ceased and will sit in the overtaking lanes not overtaking anybody and not moving aside as they should cos they think you are limited by the cameras too.

Sounds bleak but it isn't. Keep yr eyes open, ride sensibly when amongst traffic & in towns and you'll be fine.

There are some beautiful open roads in Scotland, with stunning scenery to match and great for bikes. Just pray for good weather!

• Member Contributer

Just remember that some of the new average speed cameras read the rear plate & some front late zones throw in a fatso to catch bikes :(. The roads in Scotland are epic,when you have the weather it's a hard place to beat.

• Member Contributer

I'd also watch out when using the M25 London Orbital. They have installed some sneaky cameras there too. Behind some overhead gantries they have installed cameras but they are only activated if the speed limit has been reduced to less than the normal 70mph by temporary speed limit sign on the front of the gantries.

Watch out also for cameras on the left hand side of the gantries which are active all the time. They are painted the same grey as the gantry so do not stand out.

Careful: the gantry HADECS 3 cameras on the M25 are now also used to enforce the 70mph limit...

Ciao,

Went to the bank yesterday, didn't now there was a difference between English en Scottish Pounds! I will try to follow the speed regulations but it's not easy because off the dash (Miles < Km/h) . Tomorrow 08.00 H we leave, hope Calais will be free of problems.

• Member Contributer

You can use either design in either country, don't worry.

Have a great time.

Careful: the gantry HADECS 3 cameras on the M25 are now also used to enforce the 70mph limit...

Ciao,

Thanks for that, I didn't know they'd changed them.

• Member Contributer

Well Bank of England (BoE) notes can be used in any country of the Union & are the issued currency in England & Wales. Some Scottish & Northern Irish banks have the right to print money & these are issued alongside BoE notes & used interchangablely in Scotland & N.Ireland, much like the various Euro printed notes are in the EU.

Unfortunately, not only are you not aware of this, MUCH of southern England is NOT either, so often refuse to accept Scottish or N.Irish notes when I come back home. They are breaking the law of the land by doing so, but after many arguments, it's simpler to makes sure you use up any Scottish or N.Irish notes in Scotland or the north of England where they are more common. Or exchange them at a Northern bank or shop for BoE ones !

• Member Contributer

Yeah some restaurants down south refused Scottish notes at first, but the alternative being giving away the meal, they folded.... :-)

Best to avoid and get notes issued by the English occupiers... :-) :-)

If you are on foreign plates, you don't need to bother with the speed cameras as there is, at present, no reciprocal agreement to levy fines from the UK in other European countries. Likewise we get away with speeding on the continent, at least as far as cameras go.

There are no on the spot fines levied in the UK, unlike the continent. (bit unfair that), so whilst the Feds may give you a wigging, unless you are buried deep into three figures, you are unlikely to be arrested.

• Member Contributer

Hi, your in for a treat, some great biking roads, if you want to, I could meet up with you for a while, I live in Darlington, if not enjoy your ride. :smile2:

Archived