Honda Is Officially Launching The Road-Legal Rc213V-S Later This Week At The Catalunya Motogp Race...

richieg

Question

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

But that's not a racing bike. rlRacing rules are irrelevant to the VFR1200, but the engine is still important enough to that type of bike to warrant the investment, or so they thought.

Exactly my point.  Larry said that the cost would have to be justified by racing, and I pointed out that Honda can--and has--been happy to develop engine families with no racing aspirations whatsoever.  The V5 engine has already been developed to a race standard and (if rumours of abandoned plans for a VFR1000 are to be believed) also to a road standard.  Plus, it's got MotoGP-winning (hell, dominating) heritage to capitalise upon if necessary.  Of course, if a new 1000cc V4 superbike is released soon, there would be no need for a V5.  (But I'd still want one!)

(I'd be happy to see Honda make a 600cc RVF, too!)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I think we agree that Honda must homologate a 1000cc and a 600cc race bred V4 priced for the masses... from the 1000cc Superbike version develop a light weight VFR1000  Super Sport Touring machine like Aprilia did with their homologated V4 racer but go one better and offer a maintenance free belt drive...

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

I think we agree that Honda must homologate a 1000cc and a 600cc race bred V4 priced for the masses... from the 1000cc Superbike version develop a light weight VFR1000  Super Sport Touring machine like Aprilia did with their homologated V4 racer but go one better and offer a maintenance free belt drive...

Belt drive?

I think you need to go to the Harley forum. 

• Member Contributer

Oh, no.  You went there...

I was going to ask Larry if there hadn't been any new belt drives on the market since his last valiant attempt to convert his RC45 to belt drive (which I believe was stymied by the lack of a suitable drive belt being manufactured by any reputable company).  As you are about to learn, belt drives have many advantages... :happy:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 7/5/2016 at 3:12 PM, VFROZ said:

Belt drive?

I think you need to go to the Harley forum. 

Chains are pain... belts spell relief... read about it here...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/topic/39497-unchain-my-bike-or-so-i-thought/#comment-478060

Archived