Truck Restrictions On “The Dragon”

Knute

I'll believe it when I see 18 wheelers getting stopped, ticketed, and turned around *before* they get hung up at gravity cavity. But at least it's a step in the right direction. And, in another miracle, TDOT also just raised the speed limit along the lake from 40 to a more sensible 50.

• Member Contributer

Now, how about Garmin et al putting that in their fricken programming! Maybe that's a process improvement they need. "Type of vehicle" and then suitable roadways.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, feed Garmin Inc. the address of Switchblade to be set as preferred Waypoint for trucks!!!! :goofy::3:

The problem is that the truckers don't know how bad the road is. They blindly follow their gps and think they're going to save 100 miles and several hours.

Truckers normally know where they are going, and they are normally told where not to go. Im sure its a time saving issue, verses going around. Just my experience from being around a Family owned trucking company. Now if they are actually delivering in the area, then they have not much choice. I could see making the mistake once, if trucker turn over rate was endless through that area.

• Member Contributer

Although it is :cheerleader: to have trucks stopped from railing the Dragon. Remember, it was done on the strength of today's statistics. With that in mind, what may possible happen tomorrow???? If ya get the drift?

Just sayin'

• Member Contributer

That's fabulous news if they can actually keep the big rigs out. I've been involved in a couple of near misses. There was one time during my first TexasMac that an oncoming truck chose to grind the side of his trailer into a rocky projection rather than taking out Bent, myself, TimC and Elizilla. Very scary.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a good call on the truckers part Max. :ohmy:

If I could find that driver I'd buy him an evenings worth of his favorite food and beverage.

The incident did require an immediate change of undies. The skid mark was not on the tarmac! :tour:

• Member Contributer

If I could find that driver I'd buy him an evenings worth of his favorite food and beverage.

The incident did require an immediate change of undies. The skid mark was not on the tarmac! :tour:

Your lucky for sure Terry, couple of years back a trucker ran over a guy on Yamaha after the guy survived the initial crash. It has been his family that really got this truck restriction past. They were relentless in having this changed to happen.

Your lucky for sure Terry, couple of years back a trucker ran over a guy on Yamaha after the guy survived the initial crash. It has been his family that really got this truck restriction past. They were relentless in having this changed to happen.

Damn. I'll guess that rider was off his Yamaha at the moment. Don't know if the trucker was at fault in that case though. RIP rider.

But big trucks should not be on that type if road in the first place, imho.

• Member Contributer

He was the lead bike if I remember correctly and the trucker was traveling in the opposite direction, the truck was totally out his lane so the biker went down and sled under the trailer . The trucker did not know the biker was under the trailer and he drove the rear tires over him. Died instantly.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived