Hello From The Uk

cubanski

I purchased an 05 vfr800 about 2 months ago and I've been lurking on here since. Finally thought I should join ;)

DSC_00101_zps501e2af3.jpg

26k miles on the clock, full dealer service history. I went into the dealer to look at their cbr600f and came out with this instead.

My previous bikes were a Honda msx125 , then a cbr500r ( which I traded in for the VFR). It took me a little while to get used to the weight difference, dropping the vfr within the first week of having it sadly :( It was during a very slow speed right turn, and stalled the bike and down it went. Very embarassing as I bloked the junction whilst picking the bike up and nobody got out of their cars to help :(. Just a couple of scratches to the lower fairing and the bar end and a bent brake lever.

Only couple of mods I have made to the bike so far are replace the OEM levers with adjustable aftermarket ones , and change the OEM exhaust with a Delkevic shorty set.

DSC_00491_zpsfd169065.jpg

DSC_00631_zps40ef2d97.jpg?t=1413316450

Will be getting a multimeter to check out the electrics this week after reading the troubles these bikes can have. Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

• Member Contributer

Welcome! My previous bike was the CBR250R so I can relate to the added weight taking some getting used to (and dropping the bike). What were your impressions of the CBR500R? Thinking it would be a good second bike at some point down the road.

Congrats on your VFR and welcome to the forum! :smile:

Sorry to hear about the drop, but glad the damage was minimal. You might want to invest in a set of frame sliders. Could end up saving you money by not having to pay to replace damaged fairings.

• Member Contributer

just FYI - even with the R&G frame sliders the "bubble" at the bottom of the fairings still makes contact with the pavement (and gets scratched up...)

ty for the welcomes ;)

What were your impressions of the CBR500R? Thinking it would be a good second bike at some point down the road.

It was a fantastic second bike, even though I passed my full uk unrestricted license , I thought that I should go for something that wasn't gonna put me on my arse the first time I opened the throttle.

The 500 is has really smooth acceleration pulling great up to about 85 mph then drops off and tops out about 114/5mph. 2 things I really disliked were a very short 1st gear approx 34 mph ( not fun on mini roundabouts) and the gear box was pretty atrocious. Very clunky and quite hard to change into neutral if rolling up to stop and the clutch is in for too long.

I'm really loving the vfr, not very keen on the tyres though bridgestone battleax 021. The rear has a lot of tread but not particularly confidence inspiring in the wet.

just FYI - even with the R&G frame sliders the "bubble" at the bottom of the fairings still makes contact with the pavement (and gets scratched up...)

Interesting. That part on the right side actually had a reddish reflective sticker over it, and when taken off was scratched underneath

DSC_00721_zpsca37f95c.jpg

Apart from that, the bike was very nice.

When removing the stock end cans and the connecting pipe from the cat, the 2 rear headers looked a bit rusted/corroded. Its tucked away in the garage atm will try and get some pics in the morning.

Now to find some good panniers.... ;)

edit: After reading others electrical troubles, I'm thinking it might be worth while checking it all out anyway. I've got most of the paperwork from previous work but nothing in there mentions any electrical work, harness, r/r etc.

Archived