Harbor Freight Tire Changer No-Mar Mod

Rush2112

• Member Contributer

Anyone who owns one knows how much the rim clamps on a Harbor Freight tire changer will tear up a rim if some sort of rim protectors are not in place.

gallery_19432_6921_54871.jpg

Nothing a Sawsall won’t fix

gallery_19432_6921_33585.jpg

Cut & grind… rinse and repeat two more times… FWIW, I wasn’t being too fastidious in my work, paint, or prep… it is after all a HF tire changer not a Ferrari!

gallery_19432_6921_13591.jpg

Well, I bought some No-Mar Posi-Clamp Spools (AC-StdSpool $12), 3 flat head bolts, 9 nuts & split ring lock washers from my local Dickey Bub’s (stainless $7), and used some flat steel to modify the set-up to give better clamping force and more rim friendly results.

BTW- turns out that No-Mar, a company I’ve heard so much about on VFRD is a couple of towns over from me… could’ve rode over and picked it up if the web site had given me that option.

I drilled mounting holes for my spools and plates and tried to counter sink the plates so my fasteners would be less exposed to contacting the rim… didn’t have a proper countersink so I made do with a larger tapered bit to give enough sink to keep ‘em out of the way…

gallery_19432_6921_26992.jpg

Everything painted to protect exposed steel & prepped for assembly…

gallery_19432_6921_18758.jpg

Assembled clamps

gallery_19432_6921_33033.jpg

Modded HF Tire Changer…

gallery_19432_6921_93.jpg

… I hope it works…

• Member Contributer

Looks like they will work fine. Nice job. I bought the nylon ones that someone was selling a couple years ago that just bolt on top of the stock wheel stops. They definitely take the worry out of tire changing. I hope you picked up the yellow 3rd hand thingy they sell at No-Mar, unless you already had one. Those things are da bomb!! You can only have mine when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Looks like they will work fine. Nice job. I bought the nylon ones that someone was selling a couple years ago that just bolt on top of the stock wheel stops. They definitely take the worry out of tire changing. I hope you picked up the yellow 3rd hand thingy they sell at No-Mar, unless you already had one. Those things are da bomb!! You can only have mine when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. :beer:

I did pick up the third hand YellowThing Tire Tool... I wondered about it and it looked like it would be useful; thanks for the feedback on it's functionality; I'm looking forward to using it, along with the 16" SpoonBar I picked up from No-Mar, to mount my new Angel GTs

• Member Contributer

The worst part that I've had with changing tires at home is trying to keep from chasing the tire around the rim when mounting it. The 3rd hand thingy stops that behavior. You put it on and that tire doesn't move. I love it. I use a Coats mount/dismount bar with my HF setup.

• Member Contributer

Just mounted a set of Angel GTs myself about a month ago. All I can say is get them nice and warm, they have some of the stiffest sidewalls I've had the pleasure of mounting. I will say that the beads seated really quick, only got to about 25 psi or so and they popped right up.

Can't tell you about handling on the VFR since they are on the 599, but I really like them. I think they communicate a bit better than the Michelins on the VFR. Can't say anything about wet traction, haven't been out in the rain on the 599 since they were mounted.

• Member Contributer

Great idea, and nice job! I'm fortunate enough to have a NoMar changer and find the yellow thingy and their mount/dismount bar to be indispensable.

• Member Contributer

Funny as that is what my son calls me. He however is much better looking than you.

Well, that's not surprising...

however, I'm sure he must take after his mother...

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Not at all pertinent to this thread..... but when I was in college I dated a girl from Arnold. When I would visit her in the summer we would drive up to Times Beach and look at all the vacant houses and streets through the fence. It was eerie. I heard the whole town is gone now and is a state park.

I may get motivated and modify my HF changer like you did. Right now I just have sliced up shampoo bottles lining the jaws. That seems to work OK for me, but your modification looks a little cleaner.

• Member Contributer

Nice job. My set up is pretty midevel in comparison. Lets just say I use a lot of swear words to change my tires.

• Member Contributer

Here's an old thread that shows the nylon "Mojoblocks" for the HF changer: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/47328-adding-mojo-blocks-and-no-mar-bar-to-hf-tire-changer/

They do work very well, and you won't scratch a rim.

• Member Contributer

Not at all pertinent to this thread..... but when I was in college I dated a girl from Arnold. When I would visit her in the summer we would drive up to Times Beach and look at all the vacant houses and streets through the fence. It was eerie. I heard the whole town is gone now and is a state park.

I may get motivated and modify my HF changer like you did. Right now I just have sliced up shampoo bottles lining the jaws. That seems to work OK for me, but your modification looks a little cleaner.

Wow... Times Beach! To my knowledge the only town in America that the Government officially wiped off the map... I worked with a guy who lived there and he went home one day and there literally were people in haz-mat suits evacuating the town and clearing houses. ..

It is Route 66 State Park now... the incinerator they built onsite to burn the town and the top 12" of soil was imploded and buried...it is a hill in the middle of the park now... no sign of the town anymore

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Here's an old thread that shows the nylon "Mojoblocks" for the HF changer: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/47328-adding-mojo-blocks-and-no-mar-bar-to-hf-tire-changer/

They do work very well, and you won't scratch a rim.

I did somehting like this, but I stole one of my wife's white cutting board and cut it up. stacked 3 pieces together with middle one cut shorter so formed a "c"

Archived