My 95' Rc36 Cafe Racer Project

Guest zefarton44

Guest zefarton44

7SBK999-4-20140413-220341.jpg

Hello to everybody,

I joined up this forum because of Apexandy's work, that I discovered after beginning mine on this wonderfull 95' VFR, with 108000 kms ! And you will understand why my project can be related to his !

So here's how she was when I had it :

7SBK999-1-20130907-183537.jpg

7SBK999-2-20130907-183537.jpg

Yes, it was in a really bad shape, the last owner was using it everyday to go to work, and didn't loose much time taking care of it...

7SBK999-5-20130907-183537.jpg

7SBK999-1-20130907-183559.jpg

7SBK999-7-20130907-183537.jpg

But what the hell did I want to do ? Photoshop got the answer :

7SBK999-1-20131217-002838.jpg

Departing with that idea, I bought everything that was needed, CBR 954 front fork, Ducati Monster seat and tail light, Koso DB02R tachometer, Hornet 600 headlight, and a lot of cleaning work....

7SBK999-8-20130916-103123.jpg

7SBK999-4-20131015-193250.jpg

7SBK999-1-20130916-103156.jpg

7SBK999-2-20131015-193250.jpg

7SBK999-1-20131017-142253.jpg

7SBK999-3-20131103-184424.jpg

7SBK999-2-20131118-173523.jpg

I can say thanks to my brother for the subframe !

7SBK999-3-20131207-184502.jpg

7SBK999-4-20131207-184502.jpg

Some racing techniques for my rear brake reservoir :

7SBK999-2-20131209-181223.jpg

And a friend of mine riding a nice BMW S1000RR can give me 2 two silencers that he doesn't need anymore thanks to his full Akra exhaust. So which one do you like the most, Akrapovic or Arrow ?

7SBK999-2-20131216-190140.jpg

7SBK999-3-20131216-190140.jpg

It's all for now ! Today I started to work on wiring, there is plenty of stuff to cut/re-route or delete...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I like both but the Akra more.

Where did you source the Hornet 600 headlight? 7 inch? Looks light you have a HID bulb installed. I am doing a Hawk GT cafe racer project myself. Been thinking about going to an LED headlight.

Good looking project cant wait to see more.

I got the Hornet headlight on ebay UK and yes it is a 7 inch, but bulbs are totally classics ones (it's just the flash that make them blue). I was also looking for a LED headlight but there is not plenty of it in 7 inches and I definitely prefer 7 instead of 6 inches ;)

• Member Contributer

Nice project.

I like that Arrow can, the Acra is to modern for this bike.

True, I agree that the Akra is more modern looking but the rest of the bike doesn't exactly scream "classic" cafe racer with aluminum wheels, monoshock suspension and USD forks. If it had spoke wheels and a more traditional cafe' racer look, I would say Arrow. Also depends on how each of them sound as well!

True, I agree that the Akra is more modern looking but the rest of the bike doesn't exactly scream "classic" cafe racer with aluminum wheels, monoshock suspension and USD forks. If it had spoke wheels and a more traditional cafe' racer look, I would say Arrow. Also depends on how each of them sound as well!

That's it, in fact S1000RR has a big catalyzer that plays the silencer role, so the muffler is just an eye candy... So to keep an ear friendly noise level may be the arrow will be the best one thanks to its dB-killer that the Akra doesn't have...

• Member Contributer

I like the Akra, in that it doesn't cover as much of the rear wheel

• Member Contributer

That's it, in fact S1000RR has a big catalyzer that plays the silencer role, so the muffler is just an eye candy... So to keep an ear friendly noise level may be the arrow will be the best one thanks to its dB-killer that the Akra doesn't have...

Sorry but IMHO if you are going to ride a "cafe' racer" why would you want an ear friendly noise level??? I would go Akra even more if it had a deeper growl.

Sorry but IMHO if you are going to ride a "cafe' racer" why would you want an ear friendly noise level??? I would go Akra even more if it had a deeper growl.

Well, in France police has 0 tolerance about motorcycles mods, and a really noisy can is the best way to get in trouble with them...

I'm already outlaw by having the fork swapped with the CBR one and all others things, but here they only check if we don't make to much noise, if we have mirrors, and if our plates are big enough for their speed radars... I could ride without any brakes if I was at the appropriate speed (I should say accurate, because even 5km/h above the limit and you're a criminal...) and if I did that in silence :dry:

France, country of human rights (and the main one is the right of shutting the fuck up when it's about our freedom....)

• Member Contributer

Great start! It's giving me ideas... terrible, terrible, expensive ideas for my own naked 4th gen. Can't wait to see (and hear) your end result.

In the picture of your brother welding the subframe, it looks like he's welding aluminum with a stick welder! I respect that. Just curious, did you guys have to preheat the sections to get a good weld?

• Member Contributer

Hey Zef

Before you decide completely on which exhaust, might I suggest that you photoshop in the Arrow exhaust and see what it looks like with the rest of your plan, just like your pic of the Akro exhaust in your earlier post. FWIW, the Two Brothers exhaust on Apex's bike sounds amazing and is not overly loud. It has a very deep throated growl but the snarl under full acceleration is not really loud. I've never been a huge fan of street fighters but after seeing Apex's bike in person, and having the chance to use all of my senses whilst examining the vision Apex created, the idea is beginning to grow on me.

Maybe my wife will allow me to give her bike to Apex for a winter and see what transpires. LOL

• Member Contributer

Good looking project so far. One more vote for the Akrapovic as well. Seems more fitting for the street fighter/café theme, plus is shows off the rear wheel better.

In the picture of your brother welding the subframe, it looks like he's welding aluminum with a stick welder! I respect that. Just curious, did you guys have to preheat the sections to get a good weld?

No this is good old steel ! In fact it's the old subframe reshaped and bent to get the new seat shape. So the welding was done by departing from a normal temperature surface. In fact my brother who was a former plumber didn't weld since 2 or 3 years (he's also in the french navy now, working on Falcon 50 maintenance), so the result is stiff, but not really eye friendly :laugh:

7SBK999-7-20131207-184502.jpg

Hey Zef

Before you decide completely on which exhaust, might I suggest that you photoshop in the Arrow exhaust and see what it looks like with the rest of your plan.

I did that I just forgot to post it here !

7SBK999-2-20131217-002838.jpg

• Member Contributer

I very excited to see this take shape man! Good choices so far :)

I like the looks of the Akra can... it works very well with the lines on the bike. The arrow might work too... but I think it needs about 10"+ cut out of the link pipe to bring it closer to the centre of the bike. Just my 2 cents

• Member Contributer

I like the Arrow exhaust but only with a high mount mid pipe. I would prefer to see the wheel exposed as the Ak can allows.

Good start on the project. If your brothers welds are deep enough you can grind the surface for a better look before powder coating or painting the sub frame.

Welcome aboard!

The noise level is more and more an issue in the Netherlands. Fines up to more than 1000 euro and they will suspend youre registration and force you to put a silent can on it within a short time, or the registration will be terminated permanently. I don't know how the gendarmerie reacts, but on my holiday's in France i have seen some very angry gendarmes.

• Member Contributer

The noise level is more and more an issue in the Netherlands. Fines up to more than 1000 euro and they will suspend youre registration and force you to put a silent can on it within a short time, or the registration will be terminated permanently. I don't know how the gendarmerie reacts, but on my holiday's in France i have seen some very angry gendarmes.

At you or someone else ?

Some french guy turned from the wrong direction into a one way street, nearly colliding with a little blue colored Renault Clio. In it 2 man in uniform. Never seen someone leaving his car so quickly, waving with his arms, face turned red. That poor Frenchmen that drove the wrong direction, must have had a shitty day.

In France never try to collide with these cars:

post-9697-0-46655800-1387408615.jpg :goofy:

Archived