Plastic Weld Or Epoxy ...

bmv

I have couple of broken tabs affecting the fit of the two rear side panels and the rear middle piece on my 3rd gen.

Anyone have recommendations on what brand, type and method to use to do repairs?

Thanks,

Mike

• Member Contributer

I have a temperature adjustable soldering iron. Buy one and a couple extra different sizes shaped tips. Go down to the local bike shop for a couple scrap pieces of bodywork for practice and a source of ABS. Hit you tube to get a demo and go practice... Worked for me. Epoxy not so well in the past. A good soldering iron has many uses. Hit up a RadioShack and check one out.

Matt

The little bit of plastic welding I've done I smear on a good layer of ABS glue (from your local plumbing dept.) just to give piece of mind. That stuff holds forever, actually I have more confidence in it than my plastic welding but....

• Member Contributer

The best info on repairs is at Urethane Supply.com. Two part plastic can be made into tabs, esp. If used with stainless steel mesh reinforcement. Home Depot sells an inexpensive epoxy that WILL stick to ABS. Most hardware store stuff won't. Welding is not that strong for a stressed part.

Remember, the ABS cement you buy is just ABS plastic dissolved with a solvent (I think acetone). I used it to repair my fairing, but as others mentioned, would recommend using a soldering iron or some fiberglass tape for anything that is stressed.

20130218_185717_zps16f14481.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have had to repair several bike fairings, one BMW had all five mounting tabs cracked or broken. I use West Coast Epoxy, made for boats. I take my time- really rough up the area and use several layers of the fiberglass mats. Never had one brake after repairing. Good stuff. $$ I buy the "Refill KIts".

:wheel:

• 1 month later...

http://www.urethanesupply.com/Repair-Broken-Fairing/

Too late for my post, but this sight is good for information.

Identifying the plastic is critical.

I ordered 3M glue from grainger. Was $70 but its what the pros use, and works perfect.

I found the codes Honda puts on its fairings, and went to the 3M site. This is critical part =

identifying the right plastic

Archived