Guest Deftly

Hello all! I'm new here but I've been lurking for a bit. I adore my VFR1200F but I've become a bit bored. It's a great bike and it fulfills all of my needs. It's dead nuts reliable and I can't ever see myself parting with it. I just want something to keep it company. So I'm looking for something new. The next bike will be more for shorter trips and weekend romps. It doesn't have to carry a lot of luggage. I'll use it for commuting to and from work (22 miles each way, mostly stop and go) and I'll be on it alone almost all the time.

Now, the mechanics. I'm 6'1", 185 lbs., with a 32" inseam and 38 years old. As much as I adore the S1000rr on paper, I can't ride in the fetal position. Bikes I'm looking at right now are the Ducati Diavel and Aprilia Tuono.

Whattya think?

• Member Contributer

I keep saying that my next bike (as in additional, not a replacement) is going to be a Hyper Motard or Dual-sport. I miss the ability to hit some of the fire roads and trails we So. Cal riders have access to. Even thought the riding position and bike "attitude" is different than a sport bike, they can sill do a decent job canyon carving! That's my 2 cents.

Cheers

I've thought of dual sport bikes but the only one that catches my attention is the Multistrada 1200. I almost bought one when I got the Vfr12 I have now. The multistrada just kinda leaves me cold for some reason and it's function is too close to the vfr for me to justify. Has anyone here ridden a Tuono or Diavel?

• Member Contributer

What kind of riding are you looking at this to fulfill? Just short cruises or aggressive or what? Sort of sounds like you want the VFR to be only for long weekend trips.

A co-worker went from a Falco to a Tuono (V2) and was really happy with the switch.

Between the Diavel and the Tuono I'd take the Aprilia every time (see below). Speed Triple is definitely one to look at too, lots of character. How 'bout the Ducati Streetfighter?

My mom has a Diavel Carbon (!) and I rode it around the block. Interesting, but not my thing. Handles nicely for a "cruiser" but not very sporty compared to the other hardware you're considering. I'm buying the new Ninja 636, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.

Here's the conundrum I have. The VFR1200 is the the first bike I've ever owned, ridden on the street. I can't imagine a better sport tourer for the longer trips I take. My Sundays are usually good for 2 tanks of fuel, at least. and a buddy and I try to get in a good 3000 mile trip once a year. During the week I get out at night and sometimes go for a blast to Daytona or Orlando just for the sake of the ride. These trips, I think, would be much more enjoyable on a sharper, lighter bike but I can't see myself on anything smaller than a 1000. I guess I've kinda ruined it for myself getting on such a nice bike from the get-go. I just want something a bit lighter and sharper that won't leave me wanting for the power the VFR has. Does this make sense? My only real complaint about the VFR is the mass in the twisty stuff. :tour:

Deftly, the 1200 VFR is the first bike you have ever owned? Pardon me for saying so, but you need to get out more.

If you think you want a sportier bike like the Tuono, why are you considering a Diavel? If you want a power cruiser like the Diavel, why are you considering a Tuono? These are two VERY different styles of motorcycles. Like night and day.

Perhaps you should ride friends' bikes to see what you want/need/like. Also, there are some great used buys out there. Why not a used Tuono or a Speed Triple or a S4RS or a Hypermotard for starts? (I have no suggestions for a used surrogate for a Diavel, which costs about a million dollars.)

Not wanting a fetal position parks a Daytona, so with more standard ergos, 160 ponies, high tech, 400ish lb. V4 Tuono, what's not to love?

Besides maybe a service network. They, Aprilla, missed the boat after their WSBK championship season.

How about a flickable Versys. Moty award 2 years back. A virtual sleeper..

Cheers!

Alaskan, I do need to get out more. For sure. To be clear my current VFR is actually my second. The first one I traded in favor of a way better interest rate than the first and I've been making great strides to pay the current one off. After my first year of riding I managed to put 9983 miles on that one which included a trip from VA to Nova Scotia and the Cabot trail and back again. The current has just over 6,000 on almost it's year anniversery with me. A good friend of mine owns the first one now as he bought it from the dealer I traded it at. It's a sight when we go riding, for sure. I like the S4RS alot but it's hard to find one that's in good shape and the age of those bikes kinda worries me. Besides, I'm addicted to my slipper clutch and ABS, (spoiled, more like). The Diavel is a completely diffferent bike and it's very striking to look at, I love the sounds it makes. I've not ridden one yet, but it looks like a hoot for the commute. :tour:

• Member Contributer

*snip*The multistrada just kinda leaves me cold for some reason and it's function is too close to the vfr for me to justify.*snip*

*snip*The next bike will be more for shorter trips and weekend romps. It doesn't have to carry a lot of luggage. I'll use it for commuting to and from work (22 miles each way, mostly stop and go) and I'll be on it alone almost all the time.*snip*

*snip*During the week I get out at night and sometimes go for a blast to Daytona or Orlando just for the sake of the ride. These trips, I think, would be much more enjoyable on a sharper, lighter bike but I can't see myself on anything smaller than a 1000. *snipsnip* My only real complaint about the VFR is the mass in the twisty stuff. :tour: *snip*

*snip* Besides, I'm addicted to my slipper clutch and ABS, (spoiled, more like). The Diavel is a completely diffferent bike and it's very striking to look at, I love the sounds it makes. I've not ridden one yet, but it looks like a hoot for the commute. :tour:*snip*

If I've ever seen someone begging for a wide-bar, naked sportbike it's you!

I think you're on the right track with the Tuono. Simple physics that the Diavel won't have the handling you're looking for. If you want a bike that you can throw into a turn and muscle around like a date that likes whips, leather and ball-gags, that's your machine.

However, I wouldn't get stuck exclusively on the exotics... the Z1000 is a HELL of a machine, as is the new CB1000, and Triumph street triple. and I think the entry fee is likely 1/2 of what you'd be looking at for an Aprilia. Any of those would likely out-hustle and out-handle your viffer.

Most Ducati dealerships will let you test drive, so give it a try yourself. I would hang on to the VFR for a couple of months after you get the new bike to make sure you like the new one as much as what you already have. I will be picking up a Cromo Diavel tomorrow :).

As far as which bikes to look at, I agree with the above. Look at a Z1000, Ninja 1000 (same bike with more faring), CB1000R, and the Speed Triple. You might throw in a Tiger 800xc, multistrada, and BMW F800 as well.

Out of the naked bikes I think the Z1000 and the Speed Triple are the best bikes.

Ron

Well I have a 2k VFR and an 05 VTEC VFR. I am planning on getting rid of the 05 VTEC VFR and keep the 2K VFR. I wanted something different and got an 04 R1 for some twisty rides and track days mostly - may do some shows with the R1 also. Have you considered the Kawi ZX14 or a Hayabusa - they are both very fast bikes but are big and comfortable for long rides and two up riding. If you are considering a crusier I would suggest the Yamaha Raider. A chopper looking performance crusier IMHO - front and rear disc brakes, fuel injection, mag wheels, belt drive, air cooled, with a 4.2 gallon tank. I may trade my 05 VTEC VFR for a ZX-14 or Yamaha Raider.

I've thought of dual sport bikes but the only one that catches my attention is the Multistrada 1200. I almost bought one when I got the Vfr12 I have now. The multistrada just kinda leaves me cold for some reason and it's function is too close to the vfr for me to justify. Has anyone here ridden a Tuono or Diavel?

I switched from the VFR1200DCT to the Multistrada 1200 touring recently. They are completely different kind of bikes. The Multistrada is the most fun bike I have ridden yet. It is one of easiest bikes to ride and control for a 1200 at low speeds and high speeds. The suspension and on the fly suspension and engine settings control are just amazing. you can adjust the bike to the type of riding you want to do on any given day (and readjust on the fly). I can ride the bike all day long and not feel fatigued and yet take the twisties just as well/fast as most sport bikes. The first time you have to make a tight U turn, you will realize what a well designed bike it is.

Good luck with your hunt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived