Exhaust what are my options

v4pilot

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although Staintunes sound good, I think a carbon can sounds so much better (deeper). I have a Remus high mount carbon & love the sound. There are plenty of pipes to choose from. If you type in VFR exhasut into youtube & listen to a few you may get more of an idea as to what you want. Still think the best one I ever heard on a 5th gen was this one :

. Good luck with your search.

• Member Contributer

...I think a carbon can sounds so much better (deeper).

???

I don't think the outer shell material has as much effect on the sound as the flow design and packing material. Just thought I would throw that out there before shelling extra money for the carbon fiber models.

I am pretty much tone deaf but I reckon my stainless Remus, sounds and looks awesome! Sounds nice down low, not too loud that it will frighten the women and horses! Start to ring it's neck though and she really starts to bellow...."Raijin" the Japanese God of Thunder (so says Wikipedia anyway!).

OzRaijin

• Member Contributer

Okay, the video posted by VFRoddy has to be one of the nicest sounding Supertrapp installs I've ever heard, without the raspy high pitched stuff I normally associate with them. Perhaps it's the fact that I only ever hear them on 2-strokes or inline four 4-stroke stuff that I've thought this?

Unfortunately, they're not really very good tech, and I'd look elsewhere for a good flowing exhaust. But I sure can't disagree with the sound.

I am pretty much tone deaf but I reckon my stainless Remus....

Did I say Remus, sorry, I meant to say Micron...doesn't even rhyme? I agree that Supertrapp sounds great too....but not for my bike!

Raijin

• Member Contributer

Okay, the video posted by VFRoddy has to be one of the nicest sounding Supertrapp installs I've ever heard, without the raspy high pitched stuff I normally associate with them. Perhaps it's the fact that I only ever hear them on 2-strokes or inline four 4-stroke stuff that I've thought this?

Unfortunately, they're not really very good tech, and I'd look elsewhere for a good flowing exhaust. But I sure can't disagree with the sound.

I have to agree--that Supertrapp sounds great! However, at idle I still prefer the more bassey Wolfs. The 'trapps will forever remind me of my old V8-914: I had Corvette headers and only about 3' to the back of the car, so in a (futile) attempt to get the noise down I had four 4" Supertrapps mounted on two y-pipes...I suppose you could have called it a 2x4-into-2-into-4!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

mark my words capn.... i will have an exhaust like yours as soon as i can find another erion can :pissed:

What kind of Erion? I got one with my Erion full system, but as I recall it is quite big.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I've tried the Two Bros, too tinny IMO, and Micron, lovely sound, but waaaay too loud. I got the Yoshi and really like the sound: quiet but makes some beautiful music when you hit it.

• Member Contributer

An aftermarket exhaust is also good for dropping pounds off the bike. I like my carbon Vance and Hines but hey it came with the bike so no $ out of my pocket. I'd like to try a staintune.

The stock exhaust can is heavy as $h!t.

• Member Contributer

TBros full stainless steel header: 8 lbs

Pipe and muffler: 6 lbs

14 lbs

OEM header: 10.8 lbs

Pipe and muffler: 11 lbs

21.8 lbs

I know two guys with 5th Gens - one with a Remus, one with a Micron. IMO, they both sound better'n the Staintune on my bike. I think it's down to their having a larger internal volume.

Having said that, the Staintune has improved with age, beome more bassy and less raspy as the packing has compacted or become clogged with soot.

i just got an older TwoBros.

i luv that it sounds better than stock, but to tinny for me.

still kickin myself for missin a Yosh for $100.

Whats next? IDK yet

Really like the hi-mount exhausts

Does it bother the passenger?

I know this next paragraph is gunna sound stupid, but with all the guys on VFRD

that machine and make their own parts, ive been really looking at this.

While i was at SUMMIT racing i started checking all the mufflers.

there are so many options available.

Anyone remember the cherrybombs?

I started looking at the options available and there are alot of choices with the

same makeup, design as any motorbike pipe.

I really want to try an auto pipe.

A cherry bomb starts at $30 or so, and everything goes up from there.

Then i could fab a cool cover at cuzs shop or wrap it with hi-temp carbon fiber.

just thinking ...

• Member Contributer

I know two guys with 5th Gens - one with a Remus, one with a Micron. IMO, they both sound better'n the Staintune on my bike. I think it's down to their having a larger internal volume.

Having said that, the Staintune has improved with age, beome more bassy and less raspy as the packing has compacted or become clogged with soot.

As I recall the Micron low mounts have a 2.5" diameter pipe and internal, every other aftermarket pipe I've run across has a 2".

I would Realy like a staintune high mount but $700 is a little pricey; what other options are there for the 5th gen?

I love the sound of a Yoshimura pipe on a VFR. I had one on my 95' and cried when it was sold. My 97' had a DnD which imo is the worst sounding, harsh and tinny pipe ever. I was lucky enough to snag a yosh pipe for my 99' and I am in love again.

Google yoshimura and vfr to see for yourself.

Archived