Guest sfarson

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures, loved every one of them :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Wow,and as everyone has said Thank You for the great post :fing02:

I wonder how many of us will be thinking about this thread next time we ride....I know I will be.

Good thoughts all. Thanks. OK, a few more...

The well attended Boulder Falls in Boulder Canyon with well attended to men sitting still for the cam...

boulderfallsthen.jpg

The Falls were closed to stabilize the rocks and hillside behind me, so I looked left and right and snuck in for a pic with no one present...

boulderfallsnow.jpg

Platoro was a flare and fade mining community in deep southern Colorado...

platorothen.jpg

Today, it mostly sees residents in the summer. If you have a DS bike, while not observable in this pic, the South San Juan Wilderness abounds in all directions. Forest Road 250 winds through it all, and it is a truly magical place that will put you in a I-have-no-words-to-say trance...

platoronow.jpg

Russell Gulch is another boom and bust town. During boom times over a thousand lived here...

russellthen.jpg

Today during bust times it is hardly populated with people, but it is populated with old and empty and small miners cabins...

russellnow.jpg

If you hopped off the train in St. Elmo in 1878, this is how you might have been greeted...

stelmofrontthen.jpg

If you rode in today...

stelmofrontnow.jpg

And after walking through town and looking back...

stelmobackthen.jpg

And doing the same today...

stelmobacknow.jpg

These are beautiful and brutally painful! I had the pleasure of my dad being stationed at Fort Carson as a kid and have been trying to drag my wife back out there ever since...unfortunately she's not having any part of it :sad:.

Thanks so much for putting these together, excellent job and even better content!

• Member Contributer

Excellent job on the the posting and finding the now pics. I orginally expected to see now and then pics of members motorbikes but was pleasantly surprised with the post, good job. Thank goodness for silver halide photos (black and white) they will last for damn near ever. We are a making a mistake going to digital because in a hundred years from now you probably won't be able to find any digipictures from our time. It's a shame, so go and buy some kodak so we don't lose b&w film.

• Member Contributer

sfarson, those are just fabulous. I've looked at them again and again. I owe you a "thank you"! The photos are reminiscent of Northern Nevada where I live and the nearby Sierras in California.

:fing02:

Thanks all. Well, OK... another batch...

Como in South Park 70 years ago...

comothen.jpg

In a way, not a whole lot has changed at this high meadow (10,000ft. elev) town, founded by Italian miners...

comonow.jpg

Here's the old Foxton Post Office 60 years ago...

foxtonpothen.jpg

I don't think the wires have moved since!...

foxtonponow.jpg

A Lookout Mountain curve 1930...

lookoutcurvethen.jpg

Today from the parking lot at Buffalo Bill's grave site. This is a fun riding road...

lookoutcurvenow.jpg

Pagosa Springs 1920...

pagosathen.jpg

Pagosa comes from the Ute word "Pahgosa". The chamber of commerce says it means "healing" waters. Uh huh. The more correct meaning is "smelly waters". :laugh: Indian tribes would fight over the possession of hot springs. Back before there were nice hot showers or hot tubs, these kinds of places had serious appeal. To build up the downtown area, the San Juan River was relocated south about 100 yards, near the sulphur hot springs, which are behind me. In front is the downtown today...

pagosanow.jpg

The Nevadaville City Hall in 1933, decades after the mines closed down and the miners moved out...

nevadavillehallthen.jpg

I think it is better shape today...

nevadavillehallnow.jpg

When the last residents of St. Elmo rode out (literally) on the last train before the line closed, the abandoned buildings were left on their own. In 1930, a few decades after the place became a ghost town...

stelmobuildingsthen.jpg

After another 80 years, some occasional care has helped them withstand the elements...

stelmobuildingsnow.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey another batch in case interest

Paused at the motorcycle destination spot of Deckers today. Great riding in every direction. Gold medal fishing abounds in the Middle Fork of the South Platte here. Saw some rainbow whoppers snacking on natural flies as I strolled along the river finding where the photographer stood long ago. There's a fly shop (Flies & Lies) here. The river and dirt roads of 100 years ago have been rerouted. Most of the structures are gone as well. Oh but those hills remain unrerouted...

Facing north, the river and road crossings of Deckers back then...

deckersthen.jpg

Climbed the hill overlooking Deckers in the motorcycle gear. Could have scrambled a little higher to the rock the individual is sitting on, but would have been amidst a dense stand of trees...

deckersnow.jpg

It actually was quite the idyllic place back then. Good fishin', good game in the forests, etc...

deckerscottagesthen.jpg

And you know, the fishin' and the huntin' remain good, as does the ridin'. A guard rail and a seriously big tree nearby prevented me from a slightly better perspective...

deckerscottagesnow.jpg

And one could even refresh in a lithia bath back then...

deckersbaththen.jpg

Today...

deckersbathnow.jpg

The old Deckers post office and store was to the north of today's structures. Can see it in the first old image above, across from the large dark building...

deckerspostorethen.jpg

Just an empty and small grassy field, with a hillside more populated with trees (very typical nowadays)...

deckerspostorenow.jpg

The Morrison school in the late 1800's...

morrisonschoolthen.jpg

I think it is a residence now...

morrisonschoolnow.jpg

Bear Creek would rampage through Morrison periodically after heavy rains would soak the canyons above town. The dam at Evergreen ten miles to the west put a halt to the unruliness of the water, but not before this flood 80 years ago, with mud the photographed aftermath...

morrisonthen.jpg

The tamed stream is behind me in this "now" pic...

morrisonnow.jpg

• Member Contributer

Please - keep 'em coming! This is a really enjoyable thread. I also circle back to the Tarryall video every once in a while too. Good stuff. :fing02:

This has become my favorite thread, ever. I also have worn out my mouse wheel scolling up and down.

I have to wonder if sfarson is working on a book of this type of photo comparison of Colorado then and now?

• Member Contributer

This has become my favorite thread, ever. I also have worn out my mouse wheel scolling up and down.

I have to wonder if sfarson is working on a book of this type of photo comparison of Colorado then and now?

:+1:

and if he is I would buy the book :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Awesome pictures! My mouse wheel thanks you! (up...down...up...down...up...down)

HaHa, I was just doing the same thing, up...down...up...down!!!

<ot>I don't get it why they make modern computer screens the size (in pixels) needed to watch HD movies. Fortunately my trusty old CRT at 1392 vertical pixels is still doing OK, no need to scroll to see two pictures.</ot>

When you hit F11 your brower goes full screen and you do not need to scroll that much.

• 1 month later...

Hey another batch in case interest

Absolutely! I love these pics.

Here is one I took a few days ago:

DD1928.jpg

DD2012.jpg

Not much has changed.

Google streetview with Amsterdam in the background.

V4 Rosso... Sorry I missed this! You know, my mom's side of the family comes from Rotterdam, and the images I've seen look similar to what you have place here! Excellent then and now.

Archived