I need some Aussie parts help

SEBSPEED

Wondering if any of you lads down under would be interested in helping me hunt for a few specific used bike parts of the off-road variety. If we find them I'd like to have them shipped over to me as well... Please pm me or post here if you have some time to help.

The parts I'm looking for are a stator and maybe a whole wiring harness out of a 1996+ Honda XR400. Turns out your version came with road legal lighting where the US version never did. I'm hoping to maybe find some used ones for little money.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Hmm, looks like "cheap" might be hard. Lots of XRs around but online there are little or no parts. Aussie wreckers are a bunch of neanderthals and don't use the 'net so you have to physically call them individually.

I never said it would be a small favor. :wink: lol

I appreciate you looking. Aftermarket stators are pretty common here, priced between $130-200, but everyone wants an arm and a leg and a first born for a wiring loom. I have a box of spare harnesses from CBR's and such that I've found for pennies on ebay. I use them for spares. Hard to find Aussie-only parts on ebay though.

• Member Contributer

You don't like the wiring setup for the Baja kit? Not exactly the neatest, but I'm sure you'd straighten it out with your own stuff and that.

You don't like the wiring setup for the Baja kit? Not exactly the neatest, but I'm sure you'd straighten it out with your own stuff and that.

The system that's on the bike now is a piggyback with a battery, isolated from the rest of the bike. Australian bikes came with a "normal" stator that provides power for running lights and auxiliary functions such as flashers, horn, etc in an OEM package.

• Member Contributer

Will this work? It says "main" wiring harness, maybe implying that it's not complete . . . dunno. :huh:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-xr400-Main-wiring-harness-/130552988531?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e65908373

For the record I'm not affiliated with the seller . . .

• Member Contributer

Best I could find today is a stator and full wiring harness for $385 AUD.

This is from Tony at Just Dirt Bikes. http://www.justdirtbikes.com.au/.

Shipping will be a problem. It will easily add $100 to the cost for air mail. Unsure what I could get out of FedEx, etc.

• Member Contributer

Thought part of the Baja kit was a different stator that had a 12V line. Or did that not come with it.

Don't you need to have the bike before you start buying toys for it? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Will this work? It says "main" wiring harness, maybe implying that it's not complete . . . dunno. :huh:

http://www.ebay.com....=item1e65908373

Yeah I tried calling him today but his phone kept ringing out. So, I gave up on that one for now. But yeah that's the harness alright.

I have always found www.jdk.com.au pretty good. Have a look they may have what you are after of can point you in the right direction. They are located about 5hrs north of Sydney if that helps.

Good luck Millsy

I don't think Honda made a XL400r, but many other street legal XR's. Have you looked into any of these as possible options for you?

btw have you posted up in any XR forums?

Best I could find today is a stator and full wiring harness for $385 AUD.

This is from Tony at Just Dirt Bikes. http://www.justdirtbikes.com.au/.

Shipping will be a problem. It will easily add $100 to the cost for air mail. Unsure what I could get out of FedEx, etc.

Yowza! That's certainly not cheap. New aftermarket is less here. Maybe overseas isn't such a good idea after all.

Thought part of the Baja kit was a different stator that had a 12V line. Or did that not come with it.

Don't you need to have the bike before you start buying toys for it? :goofy:

Baja Designs makes different "levels" of their kit. The kit on the bike is a super simple set of circuits and switches run off a battery that has to be recharged externally.

...and, no. I had my FSM and first 2 mods in hand before I took delivery of my brand new 6th gen. :smile: I've got new bodywork and a FSM, for this bike, and plan to have all the other bits needed to make it road legal as soon spring rolls around.

I don't think Honda made a XL400r, but many other street legal XR's. Have you looked into any of these as possible options for you?

btw have you posted up in any XR forums?

Right, no XL400R for the US. I suppose a harness from an XL250/XR600L may work. I'm concerned the CDI connectors may be different, but honestly, I'm just seeing if there's an easy and/or cheap way out. :smile:

The nice thing about the XR400R system I'm looking for, is that it has all the features of the road version but it's DC instead of AC - no reg/rec or battery (as far as I can tell). My XR knowledge base isn't as large as my VFR/streetbike knowledge base. Still learning as I go.

http://www.ebay.com....=item1e65908373

Yeah I tried calling him today but his phone kept ringing out. So, I gave up on that one for now. But yeah that's the harness alright.

Yes, that would be perfect - after an 80% mark down, that is. :ohmy:

• Member Contributer

In that case you're shopping in the wrong country mate. Zero chance of cheap parts in Aus, which explains why I'm always asking you to ship me stuff!!!

In that case you're shopping in the wrong country mate. Zero chance of cheap parts in Aus, which explains why I'm always asking you to ship me stuff!!!

I hear you, thought I might get away with a deal on a used part of this nature. Maybe I thought wrong! :sad:

Aftermarket 200w stator can be had for about $90 here. Harness kit to include some switches, flasher relay, horn, etc, about $200. Hoping to piece the lot together for less.

There's the occasional case of someone parting out their own bike in bits or even as a whole, or a shop/mechanic that's hoards stuff, much like anywhere, but finding one of them and with what you're after is usually pot luck.

For example (from a couple of years back): http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=105904&highlight=vfr750#.TuA3SFbJWtc

I'm pretty sure the XR400 sold a crapload here over a good few years, but finding the right one...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived