VF1000R wheel weight

VF1000RS

• Member Contributer

I took a front wheel from a 1986 VF1000R and a front wheel from a 1993 VFR750 in for scrap today. Both were damaged but were not missing any material. No bearings, rotors, spacers, valve stems or wheel weights. Just the bare wheels.

I had them weighed separately;

The VF1000R wheel weighed 12 lbs.

The VFR750 wheel weighed 13 lbs.

The VFR750 wheel is almost, if not exactly, the same wheel as a CBR600F2 wheel, a common mod for the VF1000R and Interceptors.

I wasn`t expecting that.

Also makes my idea of having Kosman widen stock VF1000R wheels more viable. Still an expensive option though.

• Member Contributer

I took a front wheel from a 1986 VF1000R and a front wheel from a 1993 VFR750 in for scrap today. Both were damaged but were not missing any material. No bearings, rotors, spacers, valve stems or wheel weights. Just the bare wheels.

I had them weighed separately;

The VF1000R wheel weighed 12 lbs.

The VFR750 wheel weighed 13 lbs.

The VFR750 wheel is almost, if not exactly, the same wheel as a CBR600F2 wheel, a common mod for the VF1000R and Interceptors.

I wasn`t expecting that.

Also makes my idea of having Kosman widen stock VF1000R wheels more viable. Still an expensive option though.

I thought I read somewhere that the VF1000R stock front wheel was only a 16" diameter rim. Seems like it would be easier to find a wide choice of tires in a 17" size (by using the VFR750 or CBR600F2 front rim).

Just musing...

-Ron

• Member Contributer

I thought I read somewhere that the VF1000R stock front wheel was only a 16" diameter rim. Seems like it would be easier to find a wide choice of tires in a 17" size (by using the VFR750 or CBR600F2 front rim).

Just musing...

-Ron

Kosman will also turn the 16" into a 17" at the same time they widen it.

I have this idea that I would get a set of stock wheels widened to 3.5" and 5.5" and the front increased to a 17". Use them on either: one of my R projects or a 750 Interceptor with 1000R motor project. I always assumed it was heavier than say a CBR600F2 wheel. Seemed a silly idea if it was significantly heavier.

• Member Contributer

I was always under the impression that Kosman didn't want anything to do with the Comstars? No?

• Member Contributer

Dude... Your 86 VF1000R is the sexiest bike that I have ever seen on this or any other forum! Awesome work! :cool:

Wow thanks!

There are quite a few very trick bikes of all generations here.

• Member Contributer

I was always under the impression that Kosman didn't want anything to do with the Comstars? No?

They had broken the machine that they were using to either cut or weld Comstars with a couple years ago. I don't remember which. I talked to someone there who verified they had fixed it and he knew what VF1000R wheels were(!) and was very familiar with Comstars and

had several they were working on at that time. (Not VF1000R wheels though)

I had heard they didn't do them either so that's why I called.

• Member Contributer

Wouldn't widening the 16" 1000r front wheel and turning it into a 17" hoop also make it, er, heavier????

I'm guessing by about, say,a pound?

Haha! Probably so! Although that would still make it viable in my eyes.

I'll have to weigh a stock rear wheel compared to a CBR900RR rear wheel.

• Member Contributer

Technically, these are all Comstars. I can't remember where I heard about Kosmans reluctance. Seems the bolt together design of the R kept them from either widening them, making them taller or both. This may have been folklore so don't take it as fact. If you spoke to someone who confirmed they do both to an R rim then thats proof enough for me.

I'm not going to lie, the idea spooks me a little but I'm sure it's fine.

comstar-collage1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I was very specific about the R wheel as I had heard the same thing but was assured they could do it.

Dunno when or if I'll ever do it, but I am very curious how it would turn out.

• Member Contributer

I think it would be cool. I think some of the NS400 guys are "unbolting" the R's rear(or maybe its the NS rear but I thought they were 18") and bolting the spokes and rim onto their 16" fronts to give them a 3.5, 17" front for better rubber. That's creepier to me than the whole widening thing. Yikes.

I've seen a guy in Japan that has done this many times. He even built a tool to take out the one way bolts.

New? or really nicely refinished? If these are new, I'd love to know where in the world you can get some. Seems like you'd destroy the originals trying to get them out?

nscom03.jpg

Scary

nscom04.jpg

16" front is now a 3.5, 17"er.

nscom11.jpg

I can't imagine the balance nightmare.

Can't see on my phone. Have to wait until tonight.

Japanese Geocities.com pics not showing up in forum for some reason, fixed post so we can see the pics.

Kel, if you want them in your gallery, you could opt for that if you like. Or not.

For anyone curious, the original parent URL for the images is here: http://www.geocities.jp/ponsuke1jp/

Crappy online translator: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geocities.jp%2Fponsuke1jp%2F

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the fix. They showed up fine on my end, I always check before I leave.

Translation from Japanese to English always drives me crazy. I get a headache 2 sentences into it. Appearently the Japanese word for hex nut is Popsicle and their word for spoke is Belly Button lint!!!

There is a guy in UK who is used to disassembled/reassembled comstars wheels. You can reach him here : http://classicracereplicas.com/prod1.asp?ID=278

NS400R rear rim is 3.5 X 17 so you could get your front wheel done this way at least. Shipping cost may be prohibitive thou.

Great idea to make modern size Comstars wheels. But I couldn't ever resolve myself to spend so much money into that project.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep that in mind if I ever do this.

You reminded me about the rear wheels so I weighed a 3.5" VF1000R rear wheel and a 4.5" CBR600 rear wheel(all my 5.5" CBR900RR rear wheels are on bikes.

I weighed these on the digital bathroom scale so prolly not exact weights but close enough for this purpose.

Both wheels have bearings and valve stems, the VFkR wheel has the captive spacer on the rotor side and neither wheel has rotors or cush drives/sprocket carrier attached.

VF1000R rear wheel = 16 lbs

CBR600 4.5" rear wheel = 14 lbs

I assume that a 5.5" CBR900RR rear will weigh slightly more. How much I don't know. I also realized I have way too many CBR600F2 wheels around here. Seriously.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Yeah something like that. Swapped bearings for a trial fit. Doing this the hard way I think.

CB1000 forks/NS400R wheel/RC51 calipers

The easy way would be to use stock R forks, calipers and probably CBR600F2 rotors.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived