Any GoPro experts???

timmythecop

Ram mount at the gas tank and set video to resolution 1. At that setting every 30 minutes is about 2 giga !!!!!!!!!!

Cant do a gas tank mount because my screen is opaque.

• Member Contributer

Did you get the suction cup mount? It works well (with my bodywork), not sure about how it will stick to your flat black.... :comp13:

• Member Contributer

Great shot of your brake lever, is that the short or regular version?

The first view is suction cup to side of headlight facing backwards. It put the camera just under the mirror stalk, but alas, it moves people to comment on my brake lever, so-needs adjustment. The butt cam is a safe option except mt leathers make my butt look big :laughing6-hehe:

The helmet cam is the safest as far as getting everything in view, but it is kinda stomach turning after a while. I am looking into a swingarm mount that will give a good forward view.

any home-made mounts out there?

Swingarm, windscreen, and below the rad cut outs make for intresting shots. this is on the first gen Gopro with all the editing done on windows movie maker.

this is on the first gen Gopro with all the editing done on windows movie maker.

Your vedoe was fantastic and it brought 3 things to mind:

1 Movie maker is really cool (and free)

2 the forward facing radiator gill location was the money shot, except I dont think anyone wants half their screen taken up by faded flat black paint

3 backround scenery is very important

thanks for the help.

Alot of peope bash Windows Movie Maker but, if you take your time with it, it can produce some pretty good results. And.......You can't beat FREE!! :bliss:

• Member Contributer

Its still snowing here so I haven't had mine on the bike yet, but lots of playing around on the snowmobile.

Use setting #2 its 720HD widescreen, 30fps, if you paid the money for the HD camera you may as well use it. It will run about 50meg a minute of video, that gives you just over over 4hours on a 8gig card.

It seems the software of choice in the GoPro world is Sony Vegas Pro, its about $500 unless you know how to get your hands on it in other places, if you know what I mean.

Whatever you use, encode it with H.264, it seems to be the standard format for HD and keeps the size down.

• Member Contributer

Hey Timmy do you have your camera tethered in case the suction cup seal fails?

No, but I really need to take care of that. When it was behind me, it drove me crazy thinking about it flying down the road. I will try and make something quick release out of monofilimet fishing line.

• Member Contributer

No, but I really need to take care of that. When it was behind me, it drove me crazy thinking about it flying down the road. I will try and make something quick release out of monofilimet fishing line.

Check out the photos in the first post in this thread. Looks like he used some nylon cord...

Camera

unless someone knows something that I don't, I don't believe moviemaker will edit the hd files. when I bought my gopro hd i went and bought the imac to go with it. so far i've just used imovie that comes free w/ the mac, but i am contemplating an upgrade

• Member Contributer

The suction cup sucks on bumpy roads. It's OK on the helmet, but the best helmet location is the chin bar, and it won't fit there. Neither will the sticky mount on my RF1100. Grrrrrrr.

I am loath to stick mounts on my bike without test runs on the locations. Fortunately my neighbor just got the LCD screen so I can steal his cam to decide on mounting locations.

One other thing I'm not digging is the battery heater. It makes the lens fog when using the sealed door. Wish there was a way to disable that. The sound is so much better without all the wind blast from the open door.

I also need a faster puter so I can edit in native HD, but I digress.....

I'd like to add about tethering, keep it short enough so if it lets go it won't get caught in moving parts.(sorry my parachute-rigger coming out in me).

• Member Contributer

The suction cup sucks on bumpy roads. It's OK on the helmet, but the best helmet location is the chin bar, and it won't fit there. Neither will the sticky mount on my RF1100. Grrrrrrr.

I am loath to stick mounts on my bike without test runs on the locations. Fortunately my neighbor just got the LCD screen so I can steal his cam to decide on mounting locations.

One other thing I'm not digging is the battery heater. It makes the lens fog when using the sealed door. Wish there was a way to disable that. The sound is so much better without all the wind blast from the open door.

I also need a faster puter so I can edit in native HD, but I digress.....

Had mine pop off a couple times, so I mounted a gas tank bolt mount and ended that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

unless someone knows something that I don't, I don't believe moviemaker will edit the hd files. when I bought my gopro hd i went and bought the imac to go with it. so far i've just used imovie that comes free w/ the mac, but i am contemplating an upgrade

Windows moivemaker will edit HD video, but you need a computer with some big stones to do it. my desktop with 4gig of ram can do it but not very well. As much as I hate Apple and Mac computers, they do know how to do video editing. The H.264 codec I suggested is a Apple format.

Didn't know they have a battery heater in them, makes sense because Li-on batteries don't like the cold. But I've never had any issue with mine fogging up, and I've used it in lots of colder weather.

I like to film in F5 mode an 8gb memory card and the Batt run out about the same time. 2Hr. GoPro is coming out with a new 3D case but it requires 2 GoPro's or you can make your own mount with the two cameras side by side. I use Magix software for my editing because one it's user friendly and two you can burn your video's in every 3D format.

Here is a lap at Inde Motorsports Ranch in AZ this was my first 3D video and the settings are off just a little so you get just a little shadowing but you'll get the Idea plus a little haze that I'll clean up next time.

So If you have a pair of these-put them on.

2011-03-09_23-55-06_568.jpg

I also like putting the GoPro in Camera mode you get so cool Photo's, I still need to do this at a trackday.

38202_1302750659260_1545283470_664999_2466721_n.jpg

GOPR0202.jpg

Here is a lap at Road Atlanta from last year. It was a standard GoPro (non-HD) mounted on the upper triple tree of a 2006 GSXR600. I used DivX Converter to pull out the one lap out of a 20 minute video. I have also been able to pull single frames out of the video as an image with the software.

Archived