Looking to buy new boots

MisterBill

• Member Contributer

I need to update and upgrade my current boot -- an old AGV Sport model that I bought used. I am not a racer nor a fast rider. I got back into motorcycling 3 years ago. I own an '07 VFR 800 RWB. I consider myself a beginner or slow intermediate. I ride my PACE, which is usually speed limit plus 10 - 15 mph over. I am not a knee dragger and probably never will be. But I do want comfort, functionality and protection from the boot I buy. I have been looking at Alpine Stars S-MX 5 ($219); Alpine Stars S-MX R ($299); SIDI Cobra Boot ($250); SIDI Vertigo ($300) and Diadora Exstream Racer ($209 closeout).

I don't really need a flat out race boot; but I do like all the extra features on these types of boots. I expect to pay $200 - $300. Would anyone carte to share their experiences with their boots? Brand, model? What you liked, not like? Would you recommmend them? Did they meet you expectations? Thanks for sharing.

These things are my favorite ...They are waterproof and the sole sticks to the ground better than any other boot I've worn(and I'm a boot freak).... They are real comfortable to walk in as well... The sole is great at not letting the peg give me a hot spot, either instep, or balls of feet.....

http://www.motonation.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=1261

• Member Contributer

I have been using a pair of Tourmaster Solutions for the past 4 years. I have been very satisfied. I have tested he waterproofing several times and they are comfortable for all day wear. Best of all, they only cost approximateli $120. I wear a small size, 7, and they fit me well. I recommend you try these.

• Member Contributer

Check out the SIDI Fusion boot. As the name implies, it's a "fusion" of a street boot and a race boot - as in more comfortable than a race boot but more protection than a typical street boot. They are well made and run about $200.

• Member Contributer

I've heard great things about these:

canyon_goretex_472_general.jpg

http://www.motonation.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=1261

EDIT: I didnt see Monk's post. Great minds think alike.

But what do you think about the color of them ? :laughing6-hehe:

Rollin

• Member Contributer

I have Sidi Vertigo Mega Gore-tex boots. Mega means that its a wide sized boot. I really like mine. I find them very comfortable in fit and they offer great protection and grip. They are not really for much walking around though you can if you need to. I wear these when I am going out to ride and not just taking a short around town hop to spend most of my time somewhere walking around. I wish Sidi made the Vertigo Air in Mega size. The Gore-tex version of the boot costs $100 more and is wind and water proof and here in Georgia that means they can get kind of hot in the summer, though I guess if I do a long cross country ride and get caught in a down pour I won't be complaining. They are a little more expensive, but you won't be disappointed with the Sidi Vertigo boots if you are willing to spend more money.

I wear Icon Tarmac boots when I am riding short distances around town. They are well ventilated, comfortable to walk around in, and provide better protection than regular tennis shoes but are no where close to the Sidi Vertigo in protection. I wear my Red Wing steel toe/shank work boots when I ride to work because I have to wear them in the hangar and on the flight line.

• Member Contributer

These things are my favorite ...They are waterproof and the sole sticks to the ground better than any other boot I've worn(and I'm a boot freak).... They are real comfortable to walk in as well... The sole is great at not letting the peg give me a hot spot, either instep, or balls of feet.....

http://www.motonatio...&idproduct=1261

Looks like a good option. Have you worn them on the bike on the slab in extended downpours and, is so, did they keep your feet dry? I want dry feet!

I've have the Sidi Vertigo Gore-tex and love them. They offer great protection and grip well. I ride year round in the Northwest and get lots of reain and never had an issue with any water in them. Plus, there soles are re-solable from the factory for a fee. I use Sidi shoes for all the bikes/motorcycles and love them.

http://www.motonatio...&idproduct=1261

Looks like a good option. Have you worn them on the bike on the slab in extended downpours and, is so, did they keep your feet dry? I want dry feet!

About 40/50 miles no leaks.... but I wouldn't call that extended......

• Member Contributer

I currently have Sidi On Road, Gore Tex, boots...the closures are a bit of a PITA...GREAT boots in every other respect though...and they are absolutely waterproof.

Prior to my Sidi's I had Prexport boots...also great boots.

Venderamini boots are very high quality and are customizable too...I'd recommend them to anyone that wants really good boots.

• Member Contributer

Had these for 3 years now, ridden in everything from 30 degrees to 116 in them: Waterproof? I give them a 9.5

Best boot for me and they are more comfortable than tennis shoes :fing02:

http://www.ridersdiscount.com/street-gear/boots-men/51163.php

• Member Contributer

I have Alpine Star goretex touring boot for most riding but went to replace my track boots earlier this year with some Sidi Vortice from new enough and walked inteh new Sidi's around the house for about an hour after they arrived. No problem.

A month later I went for a little 609 mile, 13 hour jaunt and found that the manner in which the back strap on the boot is located caused the zipper on the leg of my leather pants to wear hole first through my sock and then through my calf...the last 200 miles of the trip were spent trying not to cry like the sissy i am while having my lether pant flap inthe breeze as i unzipped and untucked them from my boots.

new enough took them back and now I am looking at a pair of Alpine Star Super tech R's. I loved the Sidi's but they didn't play well with my leathers. :mad:

• Member Contributer

I have a pair of Teknic Violator waterproof boots. They are pretty comfortable, far more comfortable than the two pairs of Alpinestar Web Goretex that I owned before them. The waterproofing has worked great in several downpours where every other item of my gear has leaked. They are highly protective, which I tested in a parking incident where another rider dropped his bike and it fell into me, sending the VFR over like a domino, on top of my foot. I was trapped until some guys came over and lifted the two bikes off my foot and freed me. I had no damage to the foot, not even a bruise. They've worn like iron. However they are too warm in hot weather, they're bulky, and if I am not careful about closing the velcro properly a little bit of velcro can overlap the edge and chew up my pantleg. Two weeks ago when I wore them to the Great Big Sea concert and spent the whole concert on my feet and dancing around, I wished I had chosen different footwear. Oh well, it's all tradeoffs - when I left the concert and rode home in the rain I was glad I had the waterproof boots. :)

Timmy posted here a while back that he'd gotten a pair of these boots - how are they treating you Timmy?

On the way home from T-Mac this year, I decided not to put up with the overheated feet anymore, and I bought a pair of Sidi Vertigo Airs. They are lighter and cooler, and I think they are more attractive. Now that I have added a good padded insole they are very comfortable. I haven't crash tested them yet (and with luck I never will!) but they seem like they would do well. I think they are more well-made than the Teknics or the Alpinestars - when you hold them in your hands and examine them, you can see they are good footwear. I expect they will hold up well.

I hope never to get stuck with another pair of the junky Alpinestars.

• Member Contributer

I picked up some Aerostich Combat touring lites this year. They are pretty comfy once you break them in. Like all day comfy. The break in process was not that bad. They were a bit stiff at first,but broke in nicely. No worse than MX boots. Though they are not marketed as waterproof, yet I have endured mulit-hour rain rides and my feet stayed dry. They are not insulated,so I'f you ride in the cold you may want to add an extra layer of socks.

My $.02

• Member Contributer

I do want comfort, functionality and protection from the boot I buy. I have been looking at Alpine Stars S-MX 5 ($219); Alpine Stars S-MX R ($299); SIDI Cobra Boot ($250); SIDI Vertigo ($300) and Diadora Exstream Racer ($209 closeout).

I have had the Alpinestars S-MX5 Waterproof (Gore-tex) for about 18 months and 10,000 kilometers. I love them! They are totally waterproof (I live near and commute through Vancouver, so frequently ride in a great deal of rain); warm in cold weather, cool enough in hot weather, comfortable and very supportive.

Definitely recommended.

I picked up some Aerostich Combat touring lites this year.

My $.02

I just took a look at those...I like that the toe isn't high/thick.........

Timmy posted here a while back that he'd gotten a pair of these boots - how are they treating you Timmy?

love them. Virtually no wear, they are really comfy and for once I dont have to fight to get a pair of boots zipped up over my leathers. I am scraping the toe slider alot and that they are easily replacable is cool. Ridden in alot of rain and 2 really, REALLY big downpors and got the slightest coupla drops inside once.

feel 10 of 10

protection 8 of 10

ease of use 9 of 10

waterproofness 9 of 10

looks..............................um.......................

004-10.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm an Alpinestars Web fan mostly because they fit my feet very well. I bought my first pair of non-waterproof back in 1998. I still am using them. So much of a boot is about fitment. When you try it on, you know if it's great or oh no.

• Member Contributer

Thanks again for all the advice. Waterproof seems to be a common element in the answers. I will consider that component more closely.

• Member Contributer

I have been using a pair of Tourmaster Solutions for the past 4 years. I have been very satisfied. I have tested he waterproofing several times and they are comfortable for all day wear. Best of all, they only cost approximateli $120. I wear a small size, 7, and they fit me well. I recommend you try these.

I agree. Had mine for 4 years now... found mine for $99 on sale, too. It's getting on time for a new boot for me as well and I would seriously consider getting into another pair.

• Member Contributer

I agree. Had mine for 4 years now... found mine for $99 on sale, too. It's getting on time for a new boot for me as well and I would seriously consider getting into another pair.

I bought a pair a couple of years ago, and liked them OK, but the zipper kept breaking, tore off in part, and I couldn't find anyone who would try to fix them. Still sitting in my closet, one without a zipper and one with.

• Member Contributer

I've got a pair of these and they are great for all around riding. Alpinestar SMX-4

post-21143-010444600 1288899086_thumb.jp

Archived