Valve Stem replacement

Guest Goosechef

Guest Goosechef

Every time I have tires changed, I spend $5 or so on every new valve stem. The guy says he has to replace them. Are they milking me for a few extra bucks each time or is it really a good idea to change them every time?

Yes I am a cheap bastard.

• Member Contributer

It's a good idea if you change tires once every year. I just bend the valve stem over and if cracks show I replace it.

You can always change to some sexy 90 degree alloy stems and never worry again!! KurveyGirl

Black%20Valve%20Stem%20-%20ST1300.jpg

2 years ago, MD would not pass my bike in a state inspection until I replaced the perfectly good (and stock) stems. So I did. And the new rear one failed 2 miles later.

• Member Contributer

I would say "not necessary" ......after 99,880 miles on my 04, I still have the same valve stems. They hold pressure exactly the same and are not dry rotting and cracking. BUT, when I do, I will surely put in some with the 90 degree bend! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

2 years ago, MD would not pass my bike in a state inspection until I replaced the perfectly good (and stock) stems. So I did. And the new rear one failed 2 miles later.

It's the same principle as selling light bulbs! They use to last forever, but if they sell you shitty ones that burn out quickly, than you have to buy way more valve stems, errr.....I mean light bulbs! :goofy:

How/what did they not like about the ones you had? is there a date on them?

I usually look for cracks or not holding air....... but I go though 3 sets a year +/- ......... I've always changed them on my cars because the tyre last so long...........

Thing is about valve stems is they can dry rot and get cracks around the bottom that are hard to see if you aren't looking. Also, you can plug a tire if you get a nail in it while out on a ride, but you can't replace a valve stem without taking the tire off. It's cheap insurance. I had the aluminum 90 degree stems on my Yamaha and my local shop charges $3 for a pair of valve stems.

• Member Contributer

I don't replace with every tire change, but I should do it more often than I do. Twice I've had them go bad.

you can't replace a valve stem without taking the tire off.

yes you can. all you have to do is brake the bead and leave the tyre on. the wheel doesnt even have to come off.

• Member Contributer

but you can't replace a valve stem without taking the tire off..

:mellow:

:laughing6-hehe:

YES YOU CAN!!! :comp13:

pop the bead on 1 side of the tire.. use a valve puller 'wire style ' from matco.. and pull the sucker through.. and inflate! heck i did my pals bike and didnt even take the wheels off. :fing02:

the inspection guy needs to be bitch slapped Timmy, or at least thrown in a holding cell!

i use HD valves stems! :blink:

i know , i know, i know, :blink:

but they are made of metal and and are threaded like dirt bike valves with out the tube :bliss:

• Member Contributer

It's a good idea if you change tires once every year. I just bend the valve stem over and if cracks show I replace it.

You can always change to some sexy 90 degree alloy stems and never worry again!! KurveyGirl

I just ordered some of these...thanks for the tip!

• Forum CEO

yes I had those for the old girl after I powdered coated the wheels, damn nice looking on the white wheels.

• Member Contributer

Yep, the 83 degree stems are the chit :fing02:

To those of you out there spending 3-5 bux for a valve stem, can I PLEEEEEZ sell them to you at 2.50 ea? :laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe:

I'll even sell the chrome pull in ones for the same price, even tho they cost me alot more......those are 32 cents apiece.

Seriously guys if the shop your using is screwing you over that bad find another one to deal with. If thats not an option I will send them to you but dont pay that much anymore.

I think in most cases it's a liability thing for the shops as well. Years ago I used to work for Cycle Gear and we'd require new stems with tire changes. Probably a good rule of thumb anyway as the rubber tends to crack over time. I've also had the valve stem plunger part go bad a couple of times as well (easy fix, so long as you have spares and not out riding when it happens!)

On my last bike (06 GSX-R750), I had the replaced the rubber valve stems with alloy ones and didn't have to deal with it any longer.

BTW, thanks for the post on the 83 degree stems, those look great and it'll make getting a gauge on them that much easier! :cool:

• Member Contributer

but you can't replace a valve stem without taking the tire off..

:mellow:

:laughing6-hehe:

YES YOU CAN!!! :comp13:

pop the bead on 1 side of the tire.. use a valve puller 'wire style ' from matco.. and pull the sucker through.. and inflate! heck i did my pals bike and didnt even take the wheels off. :fing02:

the inspection guy needs to be bitch slapped Timmy, or at least thrown in a holding cell!

i use HD valves stems! :blink:

i know , i know, i know, :blink:

but they are made of metal and and are threaded like dirt bike valves with out the tube :bliss:

I carry extra stems on tour and have rigged a old valve stem core as a pull through device. Carry it with me on tour with my tube KLR and the VFR.

I think in most cases it's a liability thing for the shops as well. Years ago I used to work for Cycle Gear and we'd require new stems with tire changes. Probably a good rule of thumb anyway as the rubber tends to crack over time. I've also had the valve stem plunger part go bad a couple of times as well (easy fix, so long as you have spares and not out riding when it happens!)

On my last bike (06 GSX-R750), I had the replaced the rubber valve stems with alloy ones and didn't have to deal with it any longer.

BTW, thanks for the post on the 83 degree stems, those look great and it'll make getting a gauge on them that much easier! :cool:

It is Cycle Gear I'm talking about. It could be comp. policy rather than reaching for the extra coin.

After having the front tire go flat up on the mountain, due to a valve stem that went bad, MY policy is I want a new one with every new tire.

That was no fun. Riding on a flat sucks. Valve stems are cheap. :goofy:

After having the front tire go flat up on the mountain, due to a valve stem that went bad, MY policy is I want a new one with every new tire.

That was no fun. Riding on a flat sucks. Valve stems are cheap. :goofy:

when all the new tire valves were failing couple year back, cycle gear couldnt replace them, so you had to run your existing stems.

• 3 months later...

Every time I have tires changed, I spend $5 or so on every new valve stem. The guy says he has to replace them. Are they milking me for a few extra bucks each time or is it really a good idea to change them every time?

Yes I am a cheap bastard.

YES, you really should change the valves every time you change tires. I have my own tire change equipment for mounting and balancing motorcycle tires, I change about 75-80 tires a season so you could save I have some experience here and I'm not trying to sell you anything either. A few years ago there was a recall on tire valves, they were made in China, the UV inhibitor was left out of the rubber which leads to premature cracking of the rubber and I do mean cracking. If you pushed on the valve stem to one side with your finger you would see a large crack in the rubber just where it comes through the wheel. The new rubber valves I've seen don't have the same problem, they look to be in decent shape but given the fact that rubber is a lot cheaper than plaster (cast) they should be replaced.

You should consider buying metal or aluminum valves that don't need to be replaced. They usually last as long as the bike. They run about $29 for a pair though

• Member Contributer

You should consider buying metal or aluminum valves that don't need to be replaced. They usually last as long as the bike. They run about $29 for a pair though

+1.gif I learned this lesson (fortunately not the hard way), by sitting in my recliner. My 3 year old Dodge pickup was out in the garage and I heard a loud "BANG" and a what sounded like a rush of air - WTF :blink:? Going out in to the garage I found the L front tire nearly on the rim. I had to look around a while, but I found a ding in the wall where the top of the rubber valve stem had hit when it failed. If I had been driving the vehicle when that happened it would not have ended well. Replaced them with metal stems. No issues since. Did that on my polished bike rims as well. Granted a sudden failure like that is unlikely, but if it happens . . . IIRC it's a #412 rubber stem (1/2") clears the rear brake caliper. Where I use rubber stems, I get a 2 pack at the auto parts store for under $1.50. Cheap insurance.

Archived