gas tank camera mount....whats good?

Guest RetroRocketMan

Guest RetroRocketMan

http://www.luggagelocker.com/accessories.htm

This "cam locker" looks pretty nice, couldn't find any reviews on it though. Not sure if it works well with vibrations, or if it is long enough to see speedo and get a good view of the street. I'd like to get a mount so I can get some videos of the backroads.

What is everyone using? Anyone have experience with this one? Or can you recommend a better one?

• Member Contributer

http://www.luggagelocker.com/accessories.htm

This "cam locker" looks pretty nice, couldn't find any reviews on it though. Not sure if it works well with vibrations, or if it is long enough to see speedo and get a good view of the street. I'd like to get a mount so I can get some videos of the backroads.

What is everyone using? Anyone have experience with this one? Or can you recommend a better one?

I got a Hero GoPro for xmas, it came with a suction cup mounting system, adjustable arms and so forth. I've used it mounted on the tank and it works very well, no vibration, offers a good shot through the wind screen capturing the dash with a good view of the road ahead. If a person is going to use a suction mount I'd suggest tethering it to something. Good luck in your search.

• Member Contributer

http://www.luggagelo...accessories.htm

I got a Hero GoPro for xmas, it came with a suction cup mounting system, adjustable arms and so forth. I've used it mounted on the tank and it works very well, no vibration, offers a good shot through the wind screen capturing the dash with a good view of the road ahead. If a person is going to use a suction mount I'd suggest tethering it to something. Good luck in your search.

A tether is a good idea, but that suction cup that comes with the camera isn't likely to ever come loose. I've had mine on the inside of my windscreen for hundreds of miles at a time and never have had a problem with it losing suction. It's one hell of a well made device!

• Member Contributer

I use one of these and love it. http://www.sportbikecam.com/home.php I all so run with a GoProHD mounted on the side of the bike with the suction cup and have had zero issues.

I've had one of those for about a year and a half, but with the height riser, and I've never used it. It's still in the box. Think I'll dig it out and give it a try. If I don't like it, I'll put it in the classifieds.

sportbikecam_extender_250.jpg

• Member Contributer

http://www.luggagelo...accessories.htm

A tether is a good idea, but that suction cup that comes with the camera isn't likely to ever come loose. I've had mine on the inside of my windscreen for hundreds of miles at a time and never have had a problem with it losing suction. It's one hell of a well made device!

Didn't want to cause any undo alarm with the suction cup thing, I've had zero issue with it myself, just wanted to mention it'd be a good idea to tether. The whole Hero GoPro setup works like a charm if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I use one of these and love it. http://www.sportbikecam.com/home.php I all so run with a GoProHD mounted on the side of the bike with the suction cup and have had zero issues.

Those two mounting devices look as if they are really built well.

Stainless steel it seems.

That is one of the things you guys in the US do so well, build good tools.

:goofy:

Every time I visit I go looking for things that are absolutely impossible to find out here in Australia.

Excess baggage can be real bitch thou. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't trust that suction cup mount all that much, the problem with them is you have no way of knowing WHEN they will let go. This video is one just posted by a member of another forum I'm on. It's almost like the suction cup waited until after he checked it one last time to fall off.

• Member Contributer

I made my own with some 1/8" aluminum bar stock, my dremel and some cap head screws.

Lemme see if I have a picture....

gallery_1632_4946_258978.jpg

P9180021.JPG

I made two pieces. One that bolts to the gas cap ring and the other that is bent to elevate the camera up over the view of the dash. I then used computer motherboard standoffs at the front of the bar that 'attaches' to the fuel tank with a suction cup.

I'll try to take a couple of close ups tonight. I used craft foam as a gasket between the fuel cap ring and mounting plate.

Archived