My Shinko Experiment

SpiralGray

After 6477 miles the Metzler MEZ4s that came on the bike needed to be replaced. The rear was down to the wear bar in the middle, and while I probably could have gotten some more miles out of the front, I have a 1300+ mile trip coming up and decided I wanted fresh rubber. I'm also of the school of thought that likes to replace all the tires at the same time.

First, a bit about myself. I'm 47, about 170 - 175 pounds, and am an average rider. Never in my life have a put a knee down, and scraping a peg feeler is only done by accident. I crashed in '05 and spent two weeks in hospital. I found out that crashing hurts, and don't have any desire to try it again. As a result, I ride well within my limits, and nowhere near the limits of modern motorcycles or tires. I do not do track days. I use the bike for day rides and solo touring.

To give you some idea, here's the front Metzler:

DSC_0751.JPG

And the rear Metzler:

DSC_0754.JPG

I was looking for a tire that would last a good long time, and give me decent grip in wet or dry.

I turned to VFRD to find out what most folks were using. The Pilot Road 2 and RoadSmart were highly recommended. Then I came across this brand called Shinko. Lots of negative comments about the Shinko brand on the internet. As a software engineer, I tend to analyze the information I'm given pretty scrupulously. As I started to analyze the complaints a pattern formed. They seemed like they could be grouped into two categories:

1. People who had never used the tires themselves. This group seemed like they were either brand snobs or wanted to parrot what the cool kids were saying.

2. People who had used the Shinko race (003 Stealth) or slicks.

Like most tire companies, Shinko offers a number of different models. The models that were of the most interest to me were the 005 Advance (sport) and 009 Raven (sport touring). So with more than just a brand name to search on, back to Google I went. I discovered that the 005 and 009 actually had pretty decent reviews.

http://tinyurl.com/lr3qo4 http://tinyurl.com/kn6kgk http://tinyurl.com/llou9x http://tinyurl.com/lykulc

I decided that the 009 Raven was the tire for me. The price was certainly attractive at ~$160 delivered for front and rear, compared to ~$260 for the RoadSmart or ~$320 for the Pilot Road 2. Unlike so many others, I'm lucky and still have a job, but that's not an excuse to spend money foolishly. I like to buy good quality, but I also recognize that you don't always have to spend top dollar to get good quality. I often purchase house brand merchandise, generic drugs, and refurbished electronics and those purchases have all worked out well for me over the years.

I ordered them from Chaparral on a Friday night and they were at my front door the following Wednesday.

DSC_0750.JPG

I'll be taking the wheels off this weekend and getting them mounted and balanced. I'll keep this topic updated as things progress.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had Shinkos on my bike when I bought it used - I'll have to check which "model" they were. Interested in your findings as well.

I've always had good milage with Mich pilot roads, but a hole in it made me give it up early. But here's a picture of what it got milage wise be fore I got the hole.(5200 miles with a couple to go)gallery_16535_4665_906616.jpg

DSC00174.JPG

gallery_16535_4665_1511873.jpg

DSC00175.JPG

• Member Contributer

Part of the reason people say to avoid Shinko is that they used to be awful and had nothing good. Perhaps they still are awful, or perhaps they have improved. But with something as important as your tires, I wouldn't be betting my life on it.

Let us know how you like them.

The tires Shinko now make is (mostly) old Yokohama moulds but Shinko text on the sides. Dont know about rubber thro.

There is a now model (dont know numbers) that has a tread patern that looks like Michelins pilot sport.

A local gas station, that actually sells nearly anything, has them in stock, sure feels soft and sticky but not that mutch tread depth... Keep us posted what you like.

Keny said it. Shinko bought out Yokohama's motorcycle tire department.

The tires they are making now are indeed Yokohamas, at least as far as carcass and tread pattern.

The only problem is that the tire technology used is probably about 10 years out of date.

In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production of these products under the Shinko Tire brand. With manufacturing based in South Korea and design based in Japan, the company has seamlessly combined Japanese engineering and design principles with South Korean production and quality control standards. Today Shinko Tires produces approximately 200,000 motorcycle tires per month.

Nothing WRONG with that, except that there are better tires on the market nowadays.

BUT, if money is an object, they may provide some savings, have to see what the treadwear is like.

hey bud well i think they good tyres i use the 005's and i get absulute shit about it but saying that the guys a ride with dont use them (brand snobs) i rate these tyres bud i ride em hard and every day on my ride to work avegring around 16thousand for a red and 19thousand up front not bad in my books never let go on me and had th eknee down a few time on my favrote hill

The tires Shinko now make is (mostly) old Yokohama moulds but Shinko text on the sides. Dont know about rubber thro.

There is a now model (dont know numbers) that has a tread patern that looks like Michelins pilot sport.

A local gas station, that actually sells nearly anything, has them in stock, sure feels soft and sticky but not that mutch tread depth... Keep us posted what you like.

this is tru and they youse their resipe for ruber the think it's the 003 or the 005 your tanling about

Being divorced, youngest child w/ leukemia and loosing my job to a current job that pays me 110% less, I too am frugal and currently doing my own tire comparison. After having great luck w/ D220's (18k rear & 24-26k front) I switched to B021. I really don't like them, as I got 13.6K out of the front and will probably get 18k out of the rear. The front just wore very unevenly, just as friends ST1300 did. Today I put another 021 on the front but by Nov. will put a pair of Shinko 009 on just in time for the LA rainy season. After the Shinkos, I'll go to the Roadsmart and will post up a report. Currently ride about 16K a year with few canyons, little touring - mostly commuting on the worse freeway in the states - the 405.

• Member Contributer

When I change my tires, I can't ever remember the mileage I had on them, so I started writing the mileage on the inside of the tire(usually the rear) with a white paint marker pen so when I take the old off I have a exact number to work with, and my brain has one less this to keep track of ...anyone else do this too??

When I change my tires, I can't ever remember the mileage I had on them, so I started writing the mileage on the inside of the tire(usually the rear) with a white paint marker pen so when I take the old off I have a exact number to work with, and my brain has one less this to keep track of ...anyone else do this too??

I prefer using an excel spreadsheet where I keep all my maintenance info updated. I just type in the mileage I have on the clock in the appropriate field, and it tells me what inspection / maintenance operation is due. That's how I keep track of my tire mileage as well.

Back to topic - I'm curious to see what the Shinko experiment will return. I just invested 352 CAN$ (and it was a pretty good deal) on a set of PR2, so I'm looking forward to hear how much tire you will get for such a low price. Keep us posted.

• Member Contributer

I prefer using an excel spreadsheet where I keep all my maintenance info updated. I just type in the mileage I have on the clock in the appropriate filed, and it tells me what inspection / maintenance operation is due. That's how I keep track of my tire mileage as well.

Back to topic - I'm curious to see what the Shinko experiment will return. I just invested 352 CAN$ (and it was a pretty good deal) on a set of PR2, so I'm looking forward to hear how much tire you will get for such a low price. Keep us posted.

Microsoft office 2007 has a spread sheet for maintenance quite handy I track all vehicle costs.

Interesting...... I keep a log on my computer, so all my bike info is in one place IE; Tyre milage/pressure ; Torque #s ;Suspention setting ; Maintenance Record ; Do's/don'ts ; How to's ; Etc.

After posting this I read that some of you use spreadsheets. I'll have to look into that, and see if I can figure out how to use one. Sounds like if it's set up right it will do a lot of the figuring for me..... Thx

Nice intro, SpiralGray. Looking forward to reading your observations/review sometime soon. smile.gif

I usually buy tires when they're on sale, so I'm not dedicated to any one brand or model. I've been curious about Shinkos and almost bought a rear at a local shop last summer, but decided to wait a bit longer. Still might go with a set of them someday tho.

Part of the reason people say to avoid Shinko is that they used to be awful and had nothing good. Perhaps they still are awful, or perhaps they have improved. But with something as important as your tires, I wouldn't be betting my life on it.

Did you actually read anything I posted or did you just see "Shinko" and trot our the same tired rhetoric? Some facts would be useful instead of a vague "they're awful."

Also, how do you define "used to be?" The reviews are dated:

05-19-2008 through 01-05-2009

03-11-2008 through 07-14-2009

05-28-2007 through 06-03-2007

07-01-2009 through 07-04-2009

And as I said in my original post, different models exist. Just because the Pinto was a bad car do you automatically say, "Don't buy Ford?"

However, if you've got a ton of money, have no fear of losing your job, and feel better with a brand name, go for it. Me, I'll save $100 to $150 and spend it on taking my wife out for a nice dinner.

Guys,

These tires may be just fine, the price is fine,and if you are on a down turn or want to impress your wife with a meal that is fine too.....One poster remarked the technology was about 10 years out of date...nah its more like 20....Back in the day of the FZR400

a few of you may remember if not I understand Yokohama came out with these new fangled whiz bang tires that the mechanic /racer in a dealership I was doing parts in loved them....so we kept him a good supply......he liked them did fairly well on them,and the folks that were importing them had an exclusive on them coming into the USA....Yokohama didn't like that but contracts being what they are specially if its iron clad....well the tires went away but not Yokohoma...Over the years they did many an OEM tire for the big four...but those racing types were tied up in legalise til the patents ran out, in enters who ever bought them out...was it Nang Kang or Cheng Shin...???? I don't know or remember or care You can find their tires in the back of the JC whitney cataloge.....Free thought ,choice , where to spend your money is almost a right...I defend not nor do discredit the people making these tires today...If you want to run them and you like them...aint life grand......

Rod

• Member Contributer
Guys,

These tires may be just fine, the price is fine,and if you are on a down turn or want to impress your wife with a meal that is fine too.....One poster remarked the technology was about 10 years out of date...nah its more like 20....Back in the day of the FZR400

a few of you may remember if not I understand Yokohama came out with these new fangled whiz bang tires that the mechanic /racer in a dealership I was doing parts in loved them....so we kept him a good supply......he liked them did fairly well on them,and the folks that were importing them had an exclusive on them coming into the USA....Yokohama didn't like that but contracts being what they are specially if its iron clad....well the tires went away but not Yokohoma...Over the years they did many an OEM tire for the big four...but those racing types were tied up in legalise til the patents ran out, in enters who ever bought them out...was it Nang Kang or Cheng Shin...???? I don't know or remember or care You can find their tires in the back of the JC whitney cataloge.....Free thought ,choice , where to spend your money is almost a right...I defend not nor do discredit the people making these tires today...If you want to run them and you like them...aint life grand......

Rod

Every tire plant is different some have new tech. some don't when the conti plant I worked at was closed you should have seen some of the old Shit they sold to third world countries.They shipped most of the old tech. to plants in Mexico.

Every tire manufacture does the same better check where your tire comes from,the difference between state of the art tire machines and old trash is huge,if you could have seen the difference like I have you wouldn't believe how much difference there is.

Since no one has been to a Shinko plant who knows,buy a michelin from China,and hope they guy that worked in a rice patch last week does a good job.

Guys,

Rod

Every tire plant is different some have new tech. some don't when the conti plant I worked at was closed you should have seen some of the old Shit they sold to third world countries.They shipped most of the old tech. to plants in Mexico.

Every tire manufacture does the same better check where your tire comes from,the difference between state of the art tire machines and old trash is huge,if you could have seen the difference like I have you wouldn't believe how much difference there is.

Since no one has been to a Shinko plant who knows,buy a michelin from China,and hope they guy that worked in a rice patch last week does a good job.

I have a Spain made mich.pr2.... I just put on mine..... So I ordered another one to have when needed... This new one is a pr2, made in Thailand..... I will post the diff. if I can see any, when I get though both.....

Interesting...... I keep a log on my computer, so all my bike info is in one place IE; Tyre milage/pressure ; Torque #s ;Suspention setting ; Maintenance Record ; Do's/don'ts ; How to's ; Etc.

After posting this I read that some of you use spreadsheets. I'll have to look into that, and see if I can figure out how to use one. Sounds like if it's set up right it will do a lot of the figuring for me..... Thx

I don't mind sharing mine if you're interested. It's all in kilometers though, you'd have to play with it a little to convert the distances into miles (x 1.6). Just PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you as an attachment.

I now have about 2000 miles on my raven 009's on my ZX11 and they have been performing every bit as well as any other tire I have tried. I've also been riding them in the rain and fairly hard (I'm no daredevil--crashing hurts but I do like to exploit my power band now and then). They are great tires for the $$ and excellent for a commuter (me). Everyone has to buy what they like and are comfortable with but to be honest, I've been sick of buying nice tires that cost big bux and having them last not a long time. So far, the Shinkos are doing fine and they are easy on the wallet. They may be my tire of choice for the beast from here on.

• Member Contributer
Did you actually read anything I posted or did you just see "Shinko" and trot our the same tired rhetoric? Some facts would be useful instead of a vague "they're awful."

Also, how do you define "used to be?" The reviews are dated:

05-19-2008 through 01-05-2009

03-11-2008 through 07-14-2009

05-28-2007 through 06-03-2007

07-01-2009 through 07-04-2009

And as I said in my original post, different models exist. Just because the Pinto was a bad car do you automatically say, "Don't buy Ford?"

However, if you've got a ton of money, have no fear of losing your job, and feel better with a brand name, go for it. Me, I'll save $100 to $150 and spend it on taking my wife out for a nice dinner.

Geeze, I'm agreeing with you here that you should try them. I'm not insulting your choice. I am genuinely curious if they have improved.

I'm merely saying that Shinko's have a horrible reputation. There is no disputing that. I have not used them in a sport bike, only my old CB750--and yes, they were awful. I had a Shinko rear tire with zero traction, part of the reason I sold that bike was touching the rear brake locked the rear tire. This was a year ago, but the "brand new" tire was no better than what the bike would have came with in 1978. I tried to save a few bikes and ended up regretting it.

Which is why I say that tires are extremely important. They are the cheapest form of insurance. $50 extra dollars for a part of Conti Road Attacks or Roadsmarts is a lot cheaper than fixing a bike. Or spending time in the hospital. A few extra dollars spent wisely can prevent a lot of costs later. Choosing tires is a safety issue. Would you refuse to buy a helmet to save money?

However, as I said in my original post, perhaps these tires are much better now, and you should try them so we can find out.

• Member Contributer

Getting good data about tires is a crap shout at best.what really gets me is that a PR2 cost $180 rear and I can buy a full set of tires for my miata at the exact cost.The cost seems a bit out of whack.

There should be a better way to judge tires in the real world,other then some guy says that THEY STICK LIKE GLUE AND WEAR LIKE STEEL

If someone would like to pay me to test tires pm me :blush:

I got the tires mounted and balanced on Saturday.

DSC_0755.JPG

Weights for front...

DSC_0756.JPG

DSC_0758.JPG

Weights for rear...

DSC_0759.JPG

Seemed like a lot of weight to balance the rear, but I didn't look at what was on there originally for the OE tires either.

Unfortunately I didn't have any time to ride with them on the weekend. Put on a whopping 19.8 miles of around-town riding on Sunday while running some errands. They definitely feel different than the Metzlers, but I can't put my finger on what it is. It's not bad, just different. I'm guessing it's because of the flatter/rounder profile. After looking at the Metzlers and Shinos side-by-side the Metzler front had a pronounced triangular profile to it compared to the Shinko.

I've always been slightly terrified of new tires because of the dire warnings the shops always give you (and remember my philosophy, "crashings hurts") so I'm an especially big sissy when riding on new tires for the first hundred miles or so. That being said, I didn't feel any sign of slippage on the corners I did go through. I rode some surface streets and some freeway, did some sweeping curves and some right angle corners (all at conservative speeds) and the tires were fine the whole time.

Planning a couple hundred mile ride this weekend, and then a 1300 mile road trip the following weekend, so should have more news after that.

what really gets me is that a PR2 cost $180 rear and I can buy a full set of tires for my miata at the exact cost.

Hey, I've got one of those too (a 2006). I do love the look of those AEs though, great interior color combo on them.

Anyway, auto tires are really no different though. If you want to put a set of Toyo T1-Rs on you're probably looking at $700 - $800 for a set, but if you go with, say, the General UHP you're going to pay a third of that. I just went to tirerack.com and they show 22 tires in the stock size for the '06. I excluded run-flats so as not to skew the results too much, but the prices range from $207 each (Pirelli PZero System) to $90 each (General Exclaim UHP).

Archived