Best Mods

Guest Caliban

Question

I'm a new rider to the VFR. I picked up a 2003 at the beginning of August and have managed to put on 6000km all ready and have been wondering about some mods to make the bike even better. By mods I mean, after market seats, exhaust, lighting etc. What are some of the best mods that have really impacted your riding? Please keep in mind that I won't be overhauling the bike, so no superchargers or what not :P My bike is totally stock expect for a tinted zero gravity wind screen.................

Hope this is in the correct thread!!

Look forward to your replies

21 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Hello Caliban,

Welcome to VFRD.

Many mods are mainly for looks I'd say, not really impacting one's ability to ride.

The 2003 is a modern bike so there is not that much room to improve to a level that justifies the expense (imho).

So if after 6,000km you donot have any real gripes (suspension not bottoming out because you weigh 160 kg), it comes down to having excess cash to spend on niceties......

The only one I can think off that falls in your search is tyres.

New modern shoes will give the best improvement. If your bike is still clad with older ones, try a set of Michelin PR2 for instance.

A Scotoiler will keep your chain lubricated nicely.

An alarm system piece of mind

Enjoy!

Ps: on my 4thv gen the suspension change was I'd say the only performance improver...... the Pazzo levers, the Akrapovic exhaust, the dark windscreen, the red striping, carbonfibre hugger, RC30 look single nut in rear wheel? All excess cash.......... :biggrin: )

Just send me your money and I'll spend it for ya!!! Here is what I've done so far:

- Sargent or Corbin seat (I've had both and prefer Sgt)

- Helibars

- Zero Gravity double bubble (dark smoke)

- Exhaust (mine is A.R.T.) and air filter

- Throttlemeister (heavy set)

- Heated grips and/or grip puppies from CA sport touring

- Givi E52 topcase (the best money I've spent yet)

- Frame sliders

- Avon Storm ST's

and now my wish list:

- Power Commander III

- Racetech forks

- Elka rear shock

- Garmin Zumo 550

- Spare plastics and tires for race days:-)

My best bang for the buck mods have been:

1. Sargent seat

2. heated grips

:fing02:

Those two are great comfort mods, the best performance mod for me was the $20 1-dn(15t) front sprocket!

Unless all you do is comute! :biggrin:

+1 on O2 sensor elimination, just do it.

BLS Peg lowering blocks if your knees are shot like mine

My Favorite: Factory Bags!

Don't worry, this board will have you unhappy with your current level of modification in no time wink.gif

I have also done:

Sargent Seat

TBR Stash Pipe/PCIII

Front Sprocket (don't remember how many tooth)

Camera Mount for stuff like this

Fender Elimination (home made)

Tank pad and knee grips (from the ST1300)

Grips (wish they were heated)

Pilot Powers - GO GET YOU SOME!

I'm a new rider to the VFR. I picked up a 2003 at the beginning of August and have managed to put on 6000km all ready and have been wondering about some mods to make the bike even better. By mods I mean, after market seats, exhaust, lighting etc. What are some of the best mods that have really impacted your riding? Please keep in mind that I won't be overhauling the bike, so no superchargers or what not :P My bike is totally stock expect for a tinted zero gravity wind screen.................

Hope this is in the correct thread!!

Look forward to your replies

For BC,

Seat, Heat(grips) & Rubber(Michelin PP, PR2)

Lights- WigWag rear, Modulator headlight

Lgt duty tour- Top Box, (Kanadian Ken rack or oem)

Bar riser(Converti bars) Trottle lock-grip buster

$$$

Intake/Exhuast, SS-Motard header

PC III

Suspension

Suspension is only worth it if you spend the majority of your time pushing the limits of your current suspension....for me it is maybe .5% of the time that I get that chance....so it wouldn't be money well spent (not at 25% of the cost of the bike!).

My favorite mods are:

Throttle Lock, cheaper Vista unit is the correct one. Throttle Meister are good as well, but harder to engage and more expensive.

Throttle Rocker...this is possible better than the lock except when I am touring.

GSXR Lighted Mirrors - Although the mounts are not angled as I would prefer, being very short, I find the visibility they provide is much improved. The optical quality is not as good as OEM either, but good enough.

Tailbag/Tankbag - I hated using a backpack, as I always want my raingear with me. I can also stop at the store as needed.

GPS - This is only used when touring, but boy did I love it. I didn't spring for the Zumo 550, but the other end...the TomTom 1 ($50).

Voltmeter - This is the last mod I would remove of them all, I like knowing what my charging system is doing. I would rather have a voltmeter than a tach, if I had to make the choice.

Rivcyko's Bugbuster is a nice addition, and looks sweet as well.

Radar's Frame Sliders were added after I dropped the bike....so the barn door is at least closed now.

I almost forgot my own mods!

VFRness to fix charging system

Blue Wire Connector jumper

Accessory Fuse

Brake Light Modulator

• Member Contributer
Check out my mods below and you will most assuredly go broke :biggrin:

Yup.

Ahhhemmmm. Mine too.

Hell,.........me too! LOL. Welcome!gallery_2922_1722_37828.jpg

100_3726.JPG

gallery_2922_262_238662.jpg