A New Way To Gut Your 6th Gen Exhaust

JTG

I have the exhausts off already, ready to mod them tomorrow, i am going to cut the whole back plate, I will shorten the pipes inside without messing with them, then ill soften the edges of the remaining pipes and weld the back plates back on. Later ill find or build a pipe that fits inside the tail pipes and slide them from the outside to connect the pipes inside that we're cut. This will lower the sound as close to stock, in case I want to make it quieter. Ill fasten them with a screw and be able to to quiet or noisy very time I want. What so you think?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i did this mod, but i completely removed the back plate and removed the pipes from the inside, was cheaper to pay the welder than buying the hole saw and still have to pay the welder to put back the tubes after cutting the inside so the chrome cover does not get burnt. well it was easy cake, but i am not sure i like the way it sounds or to be honest is not what i was expecting, is there any way to make this sound a little bit deeper??

• Member Contributer

The only other noticable difference is the engine temp while cruising. It seems to be around 190-200 degrees where it would normally be 170-180. My theory is uncorking it leaned it out a bit causing it to run warmer. I guess I will find out if thats a problem when it hits 110 degrees this summer :/

I didn't have any problem with temp, but it smelled very lean (ie. almost like valves were burning). I added a Turbo City FPR, which is kind of a poor man's Power Commander and ups the fuel pressure all across the curve. My gas mileage is worse, but love the smoother throttle response at lower RPMs. Smells a bit rich now, but I'm ok with that.

i did this mod, but i completely removed the back plate and removed the pipes from the inside, was cheaper to pay the welder than buying the hole saw and still have to pay the welder to put back the tubes after cutting the inside so the chrome cover does not get burnt. well it was easy cake, but i am not sure i like the way it sounds or to be honest is not what i was expecting, is there any way to make this sound a little bit deeper??

Give it some time. After a few thousand miles, mine started to sound deeper. (based on my full gut - not sure which method you used)

instead of cutting with a hole saw to bypass the center chamber, i cut on the back, removed the tubes from the center chamber to the outside and put the cover back.

img1311ur.jpg

img1312lf.jpg

the back cover was removed, i tried to remove the tubes that were connected to the outsite, i ended up pushing them into the center chamber and then were welded in place to prevent them from moving, then the back cover was weld in place and it looks 100% stock.

• 2 weeks later...

instead of cutting with a hole saw to bypass the center chamber, i cut on the back, removed the tubes from the center chamber to the outside and put the cover back.

img1311ur.jpg

img1312lf.jpg

the back cover was removed, i tried to remove the tubes that were connected to the outsite, i ended up pushing them into the center chamber and then were welded in place to prevent them from moving, then the back cover was weld in place and it looks 100% stock.

You should see my thread on modifying the stock end caps. :comp13::wink:

• 1 year later...

There is alot of info in the thread, and guys do this in a couple of different ways. I tried to look for the method I used, but couldn't see it, so I'll post it here.

It seems the standard is either (1) cut outside the tubes with a 1 3/8"+ hole saw (hs), and then dremel out the inside of the smaller tubes with very small cutting discs with a rotary tool, or (2) to lob off the end and weld it back on.

Well, I removed the bling and hs'd the outside of the tubes with a 1 3/8" hs. Then, after a while of breaking dremel discs and getting nowhere fast, a revelation of sorts occurred. "Since I cut the outside of the tube with a 1 3/8" hs, I'll just cut between the two pipes with a 1" hs. The outer sleeve comes out and you have the desired outcome, a partial gut like OP's.

It sounds fantastic, like a muscle car. No whistling or chuffing--it sounds healthy. It's kinda loud, but not as loud as an aftermarket. But close.

BTW, this method takes only 5 mins of holesaw-ing, and you're done. VERY quick and easy.

• 7 months later...

Hi, newbie here, I know this is super old but if I was trolling here maybe others are too. I took db readings from 24" away with a paas3 from my modified exhaust.. The only difference to the way I completed this mod is I started with my 7/8" stepper drill bit and then cleaned it out with a 1" hole saw, cut the inside top tubes off off and then bent the bottom internal tubes up out of the way. This left it completely stock looking

Ambient noise engine off 45db

Idle 79db

3000 rpm 91db

5000 rpm 93db

8000 rpm 101db

Burst up to 10000 rpm hit about 103db

I did not record any before readings because one minute I was reading this and that, a light bulb went off and next I was drilling.

• Member Contributer

Hi, newbie here, I know this is super old but if I was trolling here maybe others are too. I took db readings from 24" away with a paas3 from my modified exhaust.. The only difference to the way I completed this mod is I started with my 7/8" stepper drill bit and then cleaned it out with a 1" hole saw, cut the inside top tubes off off and then bent the bottom internal tubes up out of the way. This left it completely stock looking

Ambient noise engine off 45db

Idle 79db

3000 rpm 91db

5000 rpm 93db

8000 rpm 101db

Burst up to 10000 rpm hit about 103db

I did not record any before readings because one minute I was reading this and that, a light bulb went off and next I was drilling.

WELCOME that's why we love them. Cant beat the sound of V4.

• 3 months later...

There is alot of info in the thread, and guys do this in a couple of different ways. I tried to look for the method I used, but couldn't see it, so I'll post it here.

It seems the standard is either (1) cut outside the tubes with a 1 3/8"+ hole saw (hs), and then dremel out the inside of the smaller tubes with very small cutting discs with a rotary tool, or (2) to lob off the end and weld it back on.

Well, I removed the bling and hs'd the outside of the tubes with a 1 3/8" hs. Then, after a while of breaking dremel discs and getting nowhere fast, a revelation of sorts occurred. "Since I cut the outside of the tube with a 1 3/8" hs, I'll just cut between the two pipes with a 1" hs. The outer sleeve comes out and you have the desired outcome, a partial gut like OP's.

It sounds fantastic, like a muscle car. No whistling or chuffing--it sounds healthy. It's kinda loud, but not as loud as an aftermarket. But close.

BTW, this method takes only 5 mins of holesaw-ing, and you're done. VERY quick and easy.

Hello!

I subscribe to this forum only to thanks the participants of this thread, you in particular, because I've just gutted my exhaust only with the 1" HS between the two pipes, and for now the sound is fantastic :wub:

That's the easiest way to gut the exhausts I found! Most difficult part was to remove the exhausts :owned:

PS : forgive my english, I'm french, and my english is not as good as I'd like :unsure:

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did my exhaust the same way as GadiantonRob above and it is *very* easy.  No need to mess around with the Dremel.

First step is to drop the exhaust so it's resting on the back tire. I then took a grinder to the welds on the 4 tubes (8 welds total) and then drilled around the outer tubes with the 1"3/8 hole saw.  Then a 1" hole saw inside the outer tubes, over the inner tubes, and the outer tubes just pop off.  Took 10 minutes of drilling or less!  This is way way easier then struggling with the Dremel.  Whole job done in less than an hour.  Sounds wonderful! Can't believe what a difference it makes. I think a full gut would likely be too loud for me and I think the tri-oval stock exhaust look better than any of the aftermarket systems so I'm delighted with how this went and you can't beat the price!

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2016 at 6:12 AM, ajdiu said:

Can you post a picture so i have a reference to base my work? :) thanks!

This picture from the first post in this thread:

gallery_11529_3751_50619.jpg

shows it nicely.  Holesaw around the outer tubes (as has already been done in this pic), and then holesaw inside the tubes and those tubes will just pop off.

Archived