A New Way To Gut Your 6th Gen Exhaust

JTG

I am looking to mod my 02's pipes this way as well, but before I do, I have one question. Looking at the photos, I see each of the four outlets has a smaller pipe leading to it from the mid-chamber of the pipe. I would like to do this mod, but keep the extended outer pipes like it has stock. Would it work just the same to use the hole-saw around the outer pipes, then cut the small inner pipe just like you did, but instead of leaving the big holes, cut the vestigal little bit of the small pipe off the outer pipe, and re-weld the outer pipe back into the end of the can? I figure this will still give me plenty of unabated airflow straight through the muffler like the original mod does, as long as I leave a gap between the small inner pipe and the large outer one.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am looking to mod my 02's pipes this way as well, but before I do, I have one question. Looking at the photos, I see each of the four outlets has a smaller pipe leading to it from the mid-chamber of the pipe. I would like to do this mod, but keep the extended outer pipes like it has stock. Would it work just the same to use the hole-saw around the outer pipes, then cut the small inner pipe just like you did, but instead of leaving the big holes, cut the vestigal little bit of the small pipe off the outer pipe, and re-weld the outer pipe back into the end of the can? I figure this will still give me plenty of unabated airflow straight through the muffler like the original mod does, as long as I leave a gap between the small inner pipe and the large outer one.

My 2 cents on this topic. I just completed this Mod and cannot wait to start her up. Here is how I did it to hopefully save you some time as grinding down the ceramic discs is a pain in the a$$. I thought I woulk also share what I learned as I did this. First, when drilling out the end caps, use lots of oil and stop constantly. I was able to use one hole drill for all 4 holes. I am guessing that using lots of oil and not being in a hurry helped (which is not met:)). Also, I think that grinding down the welds holding the outer pipes in place helped (someone mentioned that earlier in this post). 2nd, I would use the ceramic disks to cut off the outer portion of the extension tubes that come out of the exhaust (once you drill around the pipe and need to cut it off so that you can go in and cut off the pipe from inside the exhaust). What I would do is cut on the outer portion of the pipe to shorten it and when the disk was small enough to fit into the inner pipe I would pull off that ceramic disk and get a new one and continue cutting. This allowed me to then go to my pile of used disks to go cut off the inside of the pipe quickly as I did not need to grind down each disk to fit into the pipe. One note, I would not cut off all of the pipes on the outside before drilling with the hole saw as having the pipe in place helped to guide the hole saw when drilling. I hope that makes sense. I finally got into this system after the removal of the first end pipe and it quickened the process. Lastly, be carful with that inner pipe (the small one's). One of mine was loose when I was finished, because I was too hard on it. In the end I ended up moving it back and forth until the weld broke on the other side of the baffle. If this happends to you there is a weld joint on the other side of this pipe behind the baffle. I had to put a regular screwdriver at the point where the small pipe goes through the baffle and hammer in a few places to open the hole up a bit before it could pull the loose pipe out. Not pretty and it took me an hour to figure this out, but I got the pipe out. I have the pipe on and cannot wait to hear how it sounds. Thanks for everyone's suggestions they were a huge help. Looks good, now just need to fire it up and make sure that I do not have any problems with hot exhaust entering the end cap and coming throught he openings on the sides of the end cap and overheating the tailight. If anyone has had any problems with this let me know.

I just ran home at lunch to fire the bike up after this mod. Sounds incredible. I had an 03 years ago and spent the money on Staintune's. This sounds just as good in my opinion and quite a bit cheaper at $30 compared to the $800 + I spent on the Staintunes. Thanks for everyone's posts on tips and tricks!

• 2 months later...

After lurking the forum for a number of months, I thought I'd better sign up and say a big thanks to JTG for his great post.

hi, I'm whitie.. No I haven't done this yet and I wish I still lived in brizzy

Welcome to VFRD Brissy, was that you on OzVFR asking about this? (user id "Whitie" I'm "v4racer" there - 'The Phantom' is actually my bike).

Good tip regarding doubling up the cutting wheels, might use that for some work I'm doing tonight :biggrin:

PS - go have a look at what JTG has since done to his mufflers!

• 2 months later...

Just started this mod last night. Got to fiddling around in the garage and wondered how hard the exhaust would be to lower and get the heat sheilds off to do this mod.

Next thing I know I've got the cans on my workbench and I'm cutting away.

I didn't have any problems at all with the hole saw, I was through the endcap in about 2 minutes with a battery drill. I did dip the teeth of the hole saw in some oil though.

+1 to what Hipster said about using the Dremel disks to cut off the outside pipes till they are the proper size and then using them for the inside of the pipes. Seems to be working well.

Work in progress...

IMAG0034.jpg

After a little more cutting....

VFRpipes2.jpg

I've also discovered that if you use the reinforced Dremel cutting discs, you can use a pair of wire cutters to trim them down into a stop sign shape so that they fit into the inner pipes. Is it safe? I dunno, probably not. But I figire if the disc flies apart it will do so 2 inches deep in the inner pipe, and gloves and safety glasses should offer reasonable protection from anything that makes it outside. So far, I've used three of them like that, and haven't had a problem. They actually seem to cut better than the worn down to size discs.

I did the 1" hole saw mod to the pipes this past winter, but it has taken me a while to get a video done. I made a general vid showing the whole bike, so the intro has some pics, but after that, it's pure V4 music!

99.9999% of my riding (even on the track) is below VTEC, and the sound I get coming back to me off the ground when I'm way over in a turn is absolutely fantastic! :beatdeadhorse: I even had a guy on a 4th gen at the last track day I was at say it's about the best sounding VFR he'd ever heard (Of course, he could ride circles around me!). Very throaty and nice below 6800, but it gets a healthy snarl above the transition.

Watch in HD, the sound is better!

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Well I just did this mod and it is one amazing sound. But unfortunately I think it may be just a tad too loud for me! If I could drop it a few db it would be absolutely perfect. Would anyone know of a way to do this? I live in a quiet residential area and I have the upmost respect for my elderly retired neighbours. I have fallen in love with the sound so I don't think I could go back to stock, but would really love to know of a way to just drop the db level down a bit.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

• 1 month later...

Can you just take the pretty end caps off, then cut off the end of the mufflers then re-allen attach the pretty end caps?

• 2 months later...

Well after wanting to do this for some time, I accomplished it today. And I gotta say "It's great!"

A few observations:

- I did the outside cut. That required a 1 3/8" hole saw (35mm).

- I bought a hole saw at Home Depot ( Milwaukee) and it was crap. Looked to be good quality. Didn't even make one hole cut before getting dull. Returned for refund.

- Bought a cheaper looking one at Lowes (Lenox) and it actually did a really good job and is sharp enough to do more.

- I used a regular Dremel with the arbor spaced out a bit and kept a light directed down the tube so I could see what I was doing.

- The cutoff disks your want are the no. 420 disks vs. the 409 disks

- And I used the 420 disks to clean up the edges of the sawed holes and the ends of the tubes inside.

- It's a pretty dusty operation. Wear eye protection and a dust mask. I didn't and regret it.

I made a cellphone before/after vid and will try to post later.

Coaster

• 2 months later...

I did the 1" hole saw mod to the pipes this past winter, but it has taken me a while to get a video done. I made a general vid showing the whole bike, so the intro has some pics, but after that, it's pure V4 music!

99.9999% of my riding (even on the track) is below VTEC, and the sound I get coming back to me off the ground when I'm way over in a turn is absolutely fantastic! :woohoo: I even had a guy on a 4th gen at the last track day I was at say it's about the best sounding VFR he'd ever heard (Of course, he could ride circles around me!). Very throaty and nice below 6800, but it gets a healthy snarl above the transition.

Watch in HD, the sound is better!

Mike

In this video, it looks totally stock. So to make sure I understand, you bought a 1" hole saw and cut inside the large holes, then dremeled inside to remove the tips? I'm a bit confused, if you can't tell.

I want my bike to still be relatively quiet, but I want a bit more throatiness.... I think your method would be perfect.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Slight bump.

I found a gutted exh system in the local for sale ads. The CO followed JD’s instructions, and from what I gather, sold his bike with a stock system and kept the gutted exh when he bought another VFR. Looks like that is not going to happen, so he is selling it (drilled out 2 of the 4 holes). My questions.

1. after 1-2 years of those of you who did the change, still happy with it. Notice any changes in performance or……. ?

2. to remove the rear system, do you really have to remove the rear plastic like the oem manual says. I have the givi mounts on and really do not want to remove all that again. once was more than enough. Almost looks like that you can unbolt it, remover rear tire and remove it. Or am I just wishing it was that easy.

Thanks for any info / input.

G

• 3 months later...

Did this to my newly acquired 02.

Friday night over some beers removed the GIVI saddle and trunk bracketry along with the exhaust. That was the biggest hassle.

Saturday afternoon hit it with a 1 3/8" hole saw, simple as pie. Lobbed off the tips with a sawzall. Dremeling out the guts was trying at first, went through many discs, guessing 35 or more. Ran out, went to the hardware store and bought 20 'heavy duty' discs and the last two only took me 5 discs. Whole process on Saturday took me all of 5 hours from initial cut, 2 hardware store runs and everything mounted again and test riding (GIVI racks n all)

Contemplated modifying the big heat shields to be able to get the tail pieces off easier to have them ceramic coated, but was too anxious to be done.

Night and day. Love it now. Thanks for the help

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I did this mod yesterday and the sound difference is exactly what I was hoping for. I modified the process a bit. I used a reciprocating saw (sawzall) to cut off the tips level with the end of the can after I had drilled the holes. (I used a 1.5" holesaw since I had one. It was a lenox brand bi-metal one I got at Lowes). I started using a dremel tool as described and I quickly got bored with the slow progress. Since I had the saw out, I decided to give it a try. I wiggled one of the inner pipes off-center so it was out of the way and left a space big enough to insert the saw blade and cut off the other pipe. Once the first one was cut, it was very easy to cut the second one. It took no time at all and if I had not been too lazy to get a fresh blade after lopping off the tips, it would have been even faster.

One warning-the sawzall blade did knick up the end cover of the exhaust but it is not visible once the decorative end cap is on.

I have been riding around with this for a few days and I feel like I got a new toy. This sound is exactly why I bought a VFR. Holy cow! Even just accelerating slowly away from an in-town redlight in traffic sounds awesome. I can't wait to get out on it this weekend and give it a real go.

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old topic, but finally got around to doing this mod. Amazing sound for a cheap price! It seems to have smoothed out my throttle jerkiness in conjuntion with de-pair and de-flapper. I used a 1 3/8" hole saw and cut the pipes off around 3/4 of an inch into the pipe. I would say it is on the same level or a little more quiet than my early Two Brothers slip on on my '99 was. Still, it is enough to let the V-4 roar!

Edit:

The only other noticable difference is the engine temp while cruising. It seems to be around 190-200 degrees where it would normally be 170-180. My theory is uncorking it leaned it out a bit causing it to run warmer. I guess I will find out if thats a problem when it hits 110 degrees this summer :/

• 1 month later...

hi,

when it comes to mechanics I am an absolute noob, but i really want to try this mod esp since it saves me 800+ on exhaust.

From what i gather by reading through all the post is these are the two main items i need in addition to the dremmel tool

1. Hole saw: >> i hope this is good enough http://www.amazon.com/Lenox-1772727-8-Inch-Bi-Metal-Arbored/dp/B0054SBD5E/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1339034932&sr=8-6

2. dremel disk >> and how about this http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-420-Heavy-Cut-Off-Wheels/dp/B00004UDH3/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1339036073&sr=1-2

I guess we have to take the exhaust off and there is no way around it. I searched and couldnt find any threads regarding taking off the exhaust

as i understand this is how to proceed

Take exhaust off bike >> remove the heat shields and end cap>> use the hole saw to cut around the pipe >> use the disk to cut off the pipe which makes it smaller >> once its smaller use it to go inside and cut inside the pipe>> yank it out>> reassemble >> switch on the bike and enjoy the symphony and immerse in bliss

plz advice the noob what i am missing

I drilled out the top two exhausts with this method about a year and 5,000 miles ago, and have not had any problems. Sounds so good, I want a little bit more. So my question is, has anyone gone from two hole-sawed exhaust ports to four, and was there a big change in sound? I'd like to get just a bit more throatiness and growl, but I'm worried if I do all four it will be a huge change, as big as from stock to two.

• 10 months later...

Im about to do this mod, but i am concerned that it may be too loud for long distance trips that become a headache.

im used to ride quietly, coming from a goldwing, on the VFR i love to put my earphones on and just listen to the music, without earphones i only hear the wind at 120kph/75mph, with this mod will you still listen to the exhaust at that speeds??

another question. is there a big difference between doing the mod on only one of the tubes on each side? than all 4?

It's a nice compromise between stock & aftermarket sound level. The wind taks over around 60mph but you still hear a slight rubble. My wife said its no louder than a dump truck passing buy when cruising.

• Member Contributer

It's a nice compromise between stock & aftermarket sound level. The wind taks over around 60mph but you still hear a slight rubble. My wife said its no louder than a dump truck passing buy when cruising.

My wife to busy screaming "SLOW DOWN @#$#%$"

My wife to busy screaming "SLOW DOWN @#$#%$"

:laughing6-hehe:

My wife followed me home from my moms in her car while i was cruising well over the posted limits on the hwy & asked why i was riding so casual! :blink:

Archived